Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't girls like metal as much as guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't girls like metal as much as guys?

Just curious as to what my fellow metal heads' take on this is. I've been getting a lot of complaints from the wife over the last week about my thrash metal binge I've been on and she says it's all I listen to and blah blah and how she's getting tired of it. Now don't get her wrong, she does like some metal but she likes a lot of other genre's too. Country, Pop, to go along with her metal and rock interests. But as far as thrash goes she only really likes Metallica and Megadeth... So all this Slayer, Exodus, Overkill, Forbidden, Dark Angel, ect ect stuff I've been listening to I guess has been driving her slightly crazy. But this seems to be the general consensus with almost the majority of women. So what's the deal my fellow males? Why do chicks not dig metal as much as us?
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Metal is like Tonka toys and playing Army, shooting guns, Power, making NOISE....all the things that boys like to do, not girls.... for the most part.
    "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty much not aimed at girls. Even metal bands with women in them are marketed to guys moreso than girls.

Comment

Never had a problem with my girlfriend and metal. I've pretty much converted her, lol. Don't get me wrong she still likes her music as much as she ever did, which is mostly singer songwriter kind of stuff. At first my music didn't do much for her, but nowadays she listens to my metal mix cd's when shes by herself sometimes.

Maybe I'm just lucky, she forced her sisters to listen to "The Devil You Know" on a long car ride one day.

Good metal is some of the highest quality music out there, and anyone willing to keep an open mind will at the very least recognize and appreciate that even if its not entirely their thing.
        "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
        http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

I'm a girl...and until few years ago i don't hear rock and metal because i don't knew it so much...this is a genre that is not well advertised (in particular in my country, in Italy) ...I did not know that i like...but in the last years almost for chance i discovered it and i think that this the best kind of music !i know that i have still so much to learn and to hear...but I've got all the time..this is my experience....
          .me too I observed that in the most of cases the other girls don't love the metal (almost all my friends) ...i don't understand why .....boh maybe I'm a strange girl.

P.S. sorry for the confused post , but my english is not good...
          "if you want to find me, if you really care, follow the tears, they're everywhere"
          "Then they were thrown to the ground Wiht a terrible sound Just like somebody broke a heart Rock 'N' Roll Children Alone again Rock 'N' Roll Children Without a friend But they got Rock 'N' Roll"

Comment

Originally posted by Frina View Post
            Your English is far better than my Italian, I guarantee it!
            Last edited by AngryHeart; 01-28-2011, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frina View Post
              I'm a girl...and until few years ago i don't hear rock and metal because i don't knew it so much...this is a genre that is not well advertised (in particular in my country, in Italy) ...I did not know that i like...but in the last years almost for chance i discovered it and i think that this the best kind of music !i know that i have still so much to learn and to hear...but I've got all the time..this is my experience....
              .me too I observed that in the most of cases the other girls don't love the metal (almost all my friends) ...i don't understand why .....boh maybe I'm a strange girl.

It's great to get a woman's perspective, a woman who likes metal is like one who likes sports, a guy loves that, if you have a special someone, he's a lucky guy to have you.
              "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
              R. Blackmore

Comment

i'm also a girl, 13 year old one and i listen to metal but lately i'm noticing that there's not much girls similar age as me that listen to metal. they're all pop, hip hop and bla bla bla... my best friend actually refuse to listen to the music she likes(normal pop, not some wierd techno music) just because others started to listen to balkan(that's some kind of wierd croatian rap that is now pretty much popular here in slovenia) . i mean what's the point of even listening to music if you don't even like it . even boys are being more and more naive. i hardly know any guy that listens to metal and it's my age(i know only five, and only two of them are pure metals). and does anybody know if boys like metal girls, cause i have a chrush on one of the five and i'd like to have your opinion.

Comment

@Outia Nomia, if the guy is into metal he will surely like a metal girl. If he's not, being into metal doesn't help you (not that it has to be negative either).

Anyway, maybe this is because I consider myself (at the moment at least) more of a progressive rock fan than anything else, but I don't really see any such issue as "there's not enough metal chicks around". Of course most girls listen to mainstream pop, that's why it's called mainstream popular music... same goes for guys. Also, if anyone here in Sweden says he/she listens to metal, it doesn't really surprise me, I guess the genre is quite big here so maybe this is not the case in other places to the same extent.

One sad thing is that when it comes to progressive rock, Sweden IS one of the bigger homes for the genre at the time, which really shows how extremely underground some whole genres can be. This is hardly the case with any metal imo, not even obscure/extreme sub-genres, they are still more mainstream than prog...

As to what makes more guys like metal than girls, I guess people already answered that. Guys tend to be more masculine (duh...) and metal tends to be viewed as a masculine genre. Of course listening to music because it suits your masculine primitive instinct sounds like a silly idea to me, but then again most people act silly so I still think this is the cause for the polarization.

@Ron Paul, not everyone who listens to music reflects "their genre" as clearly as you describe in their behaviour/looks/etc. In fact, I've found that most people hardly do at all.
                  Last edited by Josef_K; 08-24-2012, 09:28 PM.
                  "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
                  -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
                  - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
                  http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

I remember some years ago reading a paper where it was proposed that the differences in listening preferences were down to subtle differences in the hearing of women compared to men. Basically the frequency range for women is a little higher and the result was that most forms of metal music are genuinely harsher for them to listen to. Turn the treble up just a bit too high and you'll get the effect.

Now obviously this generalisation is in respect of a subtle difference and not everyone's the same, so there are plenty of women who do like metal and guitar-driven music. As I say, I read this years ago and don't quite trust my memory on it, but I'm pretty sure the conclusion was that this was even more of a factor than lyrical content/image/marketing etc.

A simple test is to ask any non-metal loving girl why she doesn't like it. More often than not you will pick up on key words like 'cacophonous shrill din racket' that point to too much clashing of sound in their more acutely-tuned hearing in the higher frequency ranges.
                    Last edited by Totentanz; 08-25-2012, 03:35 AM.
                    I don't need wings to reach the sky
                    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...
                    ~~~ Coroner ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Paul View Post
                      Not that much perhaps but its quite close. Anyway, as I also said there's not much difference in the attitudes of both metal and pop listeners today, so looks wise they could be either probably. They're all equally bitchy and full of attitude and narcissism. The 'metal girls' would look at home at a Rihanna concert. You can't even go to a Roger Waters concert in peace without the slut patrol in attendance.
                      Well you could always spit them in the face, then build a wall around yourself and demand headphones to be able to hear the concert properly. I'm sure Roger would understand.
                      "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
                      -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
                      - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
                      http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

Back in the 80-ties there were only women in metal, at least it looked that way...

Comment

Originally posted by KHH View Post
                          Back in the 80-ties there were only women in metal, at least it looked that way...
                          Yeah. Venom, Metallica, Slayer, Maiden, Priest, Motörhead. Not sure about your taste in women, dude...

(and yes, i understood you ment the Glam-stuff, just had to say...)
                          95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                          Til árs ok friğar ok forn siğr

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Paul
                            What I see is the same polarization noted by George Harrison. There are girls so manly and full of attitude they barely correspond to my idea of female. Ofcourse they're not all metal fans, probably more of bitchy pop fan or Green Day fan. But it's nasty "attitude" and cuteness that I see in people - both very shallow emotions - and reflected in music. Any music fan should be able to appreciate most Sabbath, but if girls start listening mostly to Pantera or something I'd be even more worried. It's a slight improvement over the bitchy half naked girls that slut their way across the city everyday but not by much.
                            I don't really get where you are coming from as far as the 'manly' part goes.. I think I'm a pretty average style young woman, I have opinions and beliefs but I don't think I have attitude as such and I just happen to have such an interest in heavy metal and even more so, rock and roll music.

I know you were just speaking in general terms here but just letting you know, normal girls who can appreciate amazing music when they hear it are out here
                            Won't you help me Mr. Jesus?

Comment

back in the 80s only the luckiest of us could find themselves a headbanger girlfriend. Me for instance

Comment

Working...
                              X