Malevolent Creation-(Another favorite)
    Benediction
    Nile
    Origin
    Fleshgod Apocalypse
    Septic Flesh
    Decrepit Birth
    Vader-(another fav)

Last edited by SYMPTOMS of EVILWOMEN; 07-22-2011, 12:06 PM.
    One day when your end is near
    I'll be laughing at your fear
    When you're gone there'll be no one
    Who'll be fucking up my fun No one!

Comment

@cwilder
      Buddy, I thought you were gonna spend much more time in black metal country, first before wading into death metal. But hey, you really can dive into both genres, simultaneously.

There's a whole bunch of different sorts of top-drawer dm bands that I have already named on this thread. And now Symptoms has posted a very good list of his own.

You mentioned Bloodbath. Ace band, no kidding. I think even devstorm cited them in the Opeth thread. In the Swedish dm scene, Bloodbath is one of my few favourites. All their three albums and an EP, while sounding somewhat samey-samey here and there, are nevertheless excellent death metal worth any fan's time and money. There's a very recently-released DVD, Bloodbath Over Bloodstock that I've got and quite enjoyed.

wilder, if you like Bloodbath, you really ought to also check out Vomitory. That's another equally cool Swedish heavy-hitter. There's just loads of swell dm on offer, that I'm spoiled for choice making recommendations for beginners. But you could either choose to begin with the old-school masters like Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Malevolent Creation, Obituary, Deicide, Vital Remains, Bolt Thrower and others, or get into much newer contemporary bands. One band that pops to mind that I think you'll readily like is Poland's Vader. In any case, you must listen to the pioneers of the genre to really get a genuine feel and affinity for what death metal really means, and how it's evolved over the years, to this day. Once you're hooked, there's no going back.

edit: belated B'day wishes to Symptoms. And if it isn't too much trouble, Symps, I'm kind of really curious to know what are your most favourite albums (name just one) by each of the bands you just listed above.
      "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Forgot to mention Carcass, although I think they fall under the Grindcore category. At the Gates has some good stuff too from what I remember. Again, not sure what exact category they fall under. I get confused when bands aren't obviously one or the other. I used to keep up with all the sub-genres, but after so long it got tiring and I just said "Fuck it, if it's good it's good, and that's that." LOL

Comment

^ yea, if it's good, it's good, and it's still death metal.

Carcass, especially on their first two trail-blazing, terrific albums, Reek of Putrefaction and Symphonies of Sickness, were definitely mainly 'grindcore' (or 'goregrind', with their lyrical content). But yes, even on those albums they had a few death metal elements too, in their sound. At any rate, as distinct as dm and grind are from each other in a number of ways, they are also very similar in several ways. 'Death-grind' (merger of the two styles), that many bands have perfected is something that I've always especially enjoyed.

If you seriously like Carcass, Rob, I wonder if you've ever properly heard Repulsion, Terrorizer, Assuck, Brutal Truth, Nasum, Exhumed, Impaled etc. If you haven't, you really should.

At The Gates is best described as 'melodeath' i.e. melodic death metal. I reckon you'd like Sweden's Dismember a lot.
          Last edited by RLP4ever; 07-22-2011, 03:48 AM.
          "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
            @cwilder
            Buddy, I thought you were gonna spend much more time in black metal country, first before wading into death metal. But hey, you really can dive into both genres, simultaneously.

There's a whole bunch of different sorts of top-drawer dm bands that I have already named on this thread. And now Symptoms has posted a very good list of his own.

You mentioned Bloodbath. Ace band, no kidding. I think even devstorm cited them in the Opeth thread. In the Swedish dm scene, Bloodbath is one of my few favourites. All their three albums and an EP, while sounding somewhat samey-samey here and there, are nevertheless excellent death metal worth any fan's time and money. There's a very recently-released DVD, Bloodbath Over Bloodstock that I've got and quite enjoyed.

wilder, if you like Bloodbath, you really ought to also check out Vomitory. That's another equally cool Swedish heavy-hitter. There's just loads of swell dm on offer, that I'm spoiled for choice making recommendations for beginners. But you could either choose to begin with the old-school masters like Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Malevolent Creation, Obituary, Deicide, Vital Remains, Bolt Thrower and others, or get into much newer contemporary bands. One band that pops to mind that I think you'll readily like is Poland's Vader. In any case, you must listen to the pioneers of the genre to really get a genuine feel and affinity for what death metal really means, and how it's evolved over the years, to this day. Once you're hooked, there's no going back.

edit: belated B'day wishes to Symptoms. And if it isn't too much trouble, Symps, I'm kind of really curious to know what are your most favourite albums (name just one) by each of the bands you just listed above.
            Well I felt like I kind of had reached my limit with black metal. I've checked out tons and tons of bands and I feel like I've compiled a fairly long list of bands that I really liked and felt stood out that I will be making purchases from in the near future. I wanted to move on to DM and do the same thing in order to compile a list. I'll begin with the bands in your list and Symptom's list here. Thanks.
            Last edited by cwilder86; 07-22-2011, 08:31 AM.
            I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
              @cwilder

Thanks for the B'day wishes man

Morbid Angel-Altars of Madness
              Possessed-Seven Churches
              Autopsy-Mental Funeral
              Suffocation-Effigy Of The Forgotten
              Cannibal Corpse-Eaten Back to Life
              Monstrosity-In Dark Purity
              Deicide-Once Upon the Cross
              Hate Eternal-I, Monarch
              Pestilence-Consuming Impulse
              Immolation-Here in After
              Grave-As Rapture Comes
              Malevolent Creation-The Ten Commandments
              Bendiction-Subconscious Terror
              Nile-In Their Darkened Shrines
              Origin-Echoes of Decimation
              Fleshgod Apocalypse-Oracles
              Septic Flesh-Communion
              Decrepit Birth-Polarity
              Vader-Litany

Hope this helps any new Death metal fans find something they enjoy!

Comment

^^ Thanks a lot for this, mate. I was curious to know, and you were kind enough to oblige.

I notice that there are a few top fave albums on your list that are identical to mine. Just to let you know, my run-down of #1s from these specific death metal bands are:

Morbid Angel ~ Covenant
                Possessed ~ Seven Churches
                Autopsy ~ Mental Funeral
                Suffocation ~ Effigy Of The Forgotten
                Cannibal Corpse ~ Butchered at Birth
                Monstrosity - Millennium
                Deicide ~ Legion
                Hate Eternal ~ I, Monarch
                Pestilence ~ Consuming Impulse
                Immolation ~ Unholy Cult
                Grave ~ As Rapture Comes
                Malevolent Creation ~ Retribution
                Benediction ~ Transcend the Rubicon
                Nile ~ Annihilation of the Wicked
                Origin ~ Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas
                Fleshgod Apocalypse ~ Oracles
                Septic Flesh ~ Ophidian Wheel
                Decrepit Birth ~ ....And Time Begins
                Vader~ Litany

Comment

I used to have a cassette of some death metal band and I can't remember what it was. It was kind of slow and doomy, but had the guttural vocals. I remember one song had some piano in it. I used to listen to it in high school while delivering pizzas. That was in the late 90's. Any ideas what it was? I think the name of the band started with an A or M, though I'm not 100% certain on that.

Comment

So far (and bear in mind this is after giving one run through an album in most cases and it's usually the debut album)

I am really liking the following death metal bands

Bloodbath
                    Possessed
                    Morbid Angel
                    Vital Remains
                    Vader
                    Malevolent Creation
                    Deicide
                    Obituary

and a couple that haven't been listed here yet that I discovered on my own and enjoy

Zyklon (My interest was peaked in this one since it features Emperor members Samoth and Tyrm)

and Hypocrisy.

Speaking of Hypocrisy and Zyklon any body else into these guys?

Comment

^ cwilder, very cool to know that you actually gave all those great dm bands a proper listen, and think that you really dig them all. Especially Vader and Vital Remains (which I remember strongly recommending to you, earlier). And heck, you already know what a big Deicide fan I am. I'm also happy to see Malevolent Creation on your list of liked bands, among the death metal crowd you're currently checking out.

I've heard only two Zyklon songs, I guess. And I don't quite remember them. Maybe I should try them out anew.

As for Hypocrisy, I predictably enjoy their early straight-up death metal phase much more than their rather too 'melodic' dm albums, later. I'd say the first three albums, 'Penetralia', 'Osculum Obscenum', and 'The Fourth Dimension' are my most-liked ones. Of the ones that followed, I've heard 3-4 of the albums, liking perhaps 'Abducted' best. 'Into the Abyss' is another pretty decent outing that you should try out, wilder.

I also think that you should listen to Sweden's Dismember.

Originally posted by NoJobRob
                      I used to have a cassette of some death metal band and I can't remember what it was. It was kind of slow and doomy, but had the guttural vocals. I remember one song had some piano in it. I used to listen to it in high school while delivering pizzas. That was in the late 90's. Any ideas what it was? I think the name of the band started with an A or M, though I'm not 100% certain on that.
                      Ha, this ought to be great quiz question for a fan like me. Lol Alas, I honestly can't figure out the answer, man. Though I do know how there are plenty of pretty cool dm bands with names starting with either 'A' or 'M'....And yea, definitely 'D', too.

Comment

Originally posted by cwilder86 View Post
                        Speaking of Hypocrisy...
                        Only the album "The Arrival" is missing from my collections...the latest album "A Taste Of Extreme Divinity" is a masterpiece in my ears, challenging any album of the more melodic death metal genre. Of course the early albums "Penetralia", "Osculum Obscenum" and "Fourth Dimension" are some of the greatest of the whole old school death metal genre, but I would strongly recommend to anyone the more melodic albums, the awesome "Abducted", the strong "The Final Chapter", the majestic & multi-dimensional "Hypocrisy", the magnificent & fierce "Into The Abyss", the catchy "Catch 22" (the original version rocks better for me) and "Virus".

How about the great Edge Of Sanity? The other Swedish master Dan Swanö...Take the first three albums "Nothing But Death Remains", "Unorthodox" and "The Spectral Sorrows"...you can't miss those!!! Plus of course the twin magnum opus "Crimson I & II"...
                        "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

The New Fleshgod Apocalypse has leaked

Comment

Oh has any body here checked out Swedish death metalers Bloodbath? It has Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth on vocals but it's really nothing like Opeth as in no prog.
                            I posted on them in your Opeth thread. They are easily one of the best DM bands to arise in the last 12 years. I like their first two releases a lot. But they took a major leap for me with Nightmares Made Flesh. Even though it's Tatgren from Hypocrisy on vox the riffs are ungodly, and Eaten from this album has to be one of the best songs of the 00s. Check out the live performance of it on the Wacken Carnage, Akerfeldt completely owns it.

One of my absolute favz of 2008 is their Unblessing the purity Ep. its amazing. I wasn't as big a fan of Fathomless Mastery when I first heard it but its grown on me and I rate it as high as Nightmares or Ressurection through Carnage.

AWESOME band. I vow some day to venture to one of the Euro-fests so I can finally Witness this band live.
                            Last edited by devstorm; 07-26-2011, 08:55 PM.
                            The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Originally posted by devstorm View Post
                              I posted on them in your Opeth thread. They are easily one of the best DM bands to arise in the last 12 years. I like their first two releases a lot. But they took a major leap for me with Nightmares Made Flesh. Even though it's Tatgren from Hypocrisy on vox the riffs are ungodly, and Eaten from this album has to be one of the best songs of the 00s. Check out the live performance of it on the Wacken Carnage, Akerfeldt completely owns it.

One of my absolute favz of 2008 is their Unblessing the purity Ep. its amazing. I wasn't as big a fan of Fathomless Mastery when I first heard it but its grown on me and I rate it as high as Nightmares or Ressurection through Carnage.

AWESOME band. I vow some day to venture to one of the Euro-fests so I can finally Witness this band live.
                              I spent the majority of my work day last night listening to their entire discography on my iPod. Fucking love their music even more with each listen. It's weird but even though I prefer MA's vocals over Peter (but Peter is still damn good!), but Nightmares Made Flesh may be my favorite album by these guys. I eagerly look forward to their next release. Oh and totally agree about the song Eaten. That song is so fucking brutal. It sounds like it would fit perfectly on the sound track of a zombie movie. Cancer Of The Soul really owns me too.

Comment

Speaking of Hypocrisy and Zyklon any body else into these guys?
                                I like both these bands - Zyklon are a bit patchy, but when they're 'on' they are great.

Overall I'm not much of a DM fan, but I do enjoy some bands: Bloodbath, Vital Remains, Fearer, Death... But equally some bands leave me kind of indifferent, I've bought albums by Malevolant Creation, Immolation, Obituary, Morbid Angel... and maybe I've just got the wrong albums, but I liked a few tracks but never got heavily into these bands.

So I'm probably not much of a DM 'fan', but I kinda consider myself a 'friend' of the genre nonetheless. I tend to prefer Thrash and Black Metal, but a few Death elements thrown in are always welcome, and for some reason a few DM bands do appeal.
                                I don't need wings to reach the sky
                                And I don't need hands to hold you tight...
                                ~~~ Coroner ~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X