Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bands re-recording their classics?

Title says it all, what do you think? I few examples I have on my mind:

Whitesnake - I could understand David wanting to update a few diamonds in the rough, but the remake of "Fool for your loving" was joke.

Foreigner - just recently or are putting out a disc of re recording the classics. I heard one tune (Jukebox Hero), and they do a good job, but I can't help but think this is blasphemous is some manner.

Quiet Riot - Not sure if it was an official release, or what it was. A demo to showcase their new singer or something? Made me cringe whatever it was.

Quiet Riot II - Kevin re recording his vocals for "The Randy Rhoads Years". If you manage to get your ears on the originals, I think you'll agree that it was a worthwhile endeavor.

Monster Magnet - The originals were recorded horribly (bad equipment, no money, was the style at the time etc.) and weren't classics anyway, so I think they came out ahead.

Johnny Cash - Good updated versions of his classics, although it certainly wasn't his idea from what I understand, Just his new label wanting to cash in (No pun intended).

Black Sabbath - I remember reading that Ronnie wanted to re record "Black Sabbath" just after joining the band. blasphemy? what do you think?

Ozzy Osbourne - I think we all know where everyone stands on those re recordings.
    Last edited by Axe fiend; 09-09-2011, 03:26 PM.
    We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Whitesnake has done it a few times yes. I agree with you on the remake of "Fool for Your Loving"..... what a waste of Steve Vai - such a sterile, lifeless version.
    That Ronnie / Sabbath idea is an interesting one. I figure they did it the right way by doing it on the live album rather than in the studio.

Others:
    Deep Purple - "Hush '88" ... basically a cover of a cover LOL. I dig it though.
    Iron Maiden - "Prowler '88" ... kind of pointless but still kind of neat.
    Testament - First Strike Still Deadly .... completely awesome. More fluid, well-practiced, and actually even heavier versions of stuff from the first two albums, with modern production to boot. The sound is CRUSHING.
    Anthrax - The Greater of Two Evils .... John Bush putting his stamp on material from all the albums before he joined. As far as the vocals go, some tracks work really well, others not so much, as he doesn't have the upper range of either of the other singers. The band sounded good -- well-practiced and groovy. This was kind of a mixed bag of results, but a few tunes like "Lone Justice" really kick my ass.

I had a couple of other examples but have completely forgotten them.

Comment

KISS did this with their 2008 album 'Jigoku-Retsuden' which featured 15 re-recorded tracks, all of which I happen to like better than the originals. The CD was available for free with the purchase of 'Sonic Boom'
      Can you sleep at night, when you close your eyes
      Do you think of all the pain from your lies
      Or do you deny, you're responsible
      For the victims of the sins you devised

Comment

Originally posted by Soul Sucker View Post
        KISS did this with their 2008 album 'Jigoku-Retsuden' which featured 15 re-recorded tracks, all of which I happen to like better than the originals. The CD was available for free with the purchase of 'Sonic Boom'
        Their original records where recorded poorly to say the least.
        "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
        http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

Almost forgot, Exodus re recording their album "Bonded By Blood" and released it as "Let Their Be Blood", updated the sound with awesome results.
          Completely forgot about the "Sonic Boom" bonus disc! Cheers!!

Comment

I like the idea so long as it's done in addition to the original album not as a replacement.
            How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
            --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
              I like the idea so long as it's done in addition to the original album not as a replacement.
              Same with me. For example, if AC/DC re-recorded Bon Scott material with Brian I would be pretty pissed, but if a band re-recorded an album/song with the original members I wouldn't care that much (Unless it's a really terrible version on the original).
              Well I donít want no preacher telling me about the god in the sky
              No I donít want no one to tell me where Iím gonna go when I die
              I wanna live my life, I donít want people telling me what to do
              I just believe in myself, ícause no one else is true

Comment

Originally posted by Ochlocracy View Post
                Same with me. For example, if AC/DC re-recorded Bon Scott material with Brian I would be pretty pissed, but if a band re-recorded an album/song with the original members I wouldn't care that much (Unless it's a really terrible version on the original).
                Actually, I was thinking of cases where a band changed singers and the songs were rerecorded with the new singer. I could enjoy that. The key being, the original was left untouched so I could own both if I chose. The Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman rerecordings or, rather, replacements were an abomination.

The example of rerecording albums with Brian Johnson singing Bon Scott songs wouldn't be of much interest to me because I prefer Bon Scott to Brian Johnson so much (especially now). But if, say, Iron Maiden rerecorded the first two albums (originally recorded with D'Anno on vocals) with Bruce Dickinson singing I'd be interested in that.
                How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
                  Actually, I was thinking of cases where a band changed singers and the songs were rerecorded with the new singer. I could enjoy that. The key being, the original was left untouched so I could own both if I chose. The Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman rerecordings or, rather, replacements were an abomination.

The example of rerecording albums with Brian Johnson singing Bon Scott songs wouldn't be of much interest to me because I prefer Bon Scott to Brian Johnson so much (especially now). But if, say, Iron Maiden rerecorded the first two albums (originally recorded with D'Anno on vocals) with Bruce Dickinson singing I'd be interested in that.
                  Yeah. As long as the original is available there isn't a problem with me.
                  Well I donít want no preacher telling me about the god in the sky
                  No I donít want no one to tell me where Iím gonna go when I die
                  I wanna live my life, I donít want people telling me what to do
                  I just believe in myself, ícause no one else is true

Comment

Testament's re-recording of The Legacy is great, probably the best example - it's particularly interesting to hear Zetro singing on a couple of the tracks seeing as they were written for him to sing originally. But even this, despite the additional power and crunch, sounds a little sterile compared to the original.

Can't think of many others that work out well, don't care at all for the re-recording of Bonded By Blood (the original was pretty 'meh' to me, but the new one's far worse, pretty pointless)

Manowar re-recorded Battle Hymns and whilst it's decent in terms of performance it's a bit sterile and pointless when set against the original.

Candlemass have done various re-recordings over the years, I love Messiah, but found the versions with him doing tunes from the first album pointless and lacking. Have they done any with Rob Lowe singing Messiah tunes? That'd strike me as pointless too.

The Anthrax stuff has been so low on my playlist that I've actually forgotten what the Bush versions are like. Pointless.

Dimmu Borgir re-did Stormblast... pointless.

Overall I'd say it's a bit of a waste of time in general, shows a lack of new ideas. Generally most times it's done the word 'sterile' seems appropriate. Often the magic of an album is captured in its atmosphere, and this all to often simply disappears when re-recorded - all the original charm evaporates.

@Franklin: I can think of nothing less appealing than Iron Maiden churning out the Di'Anno material with Bruce. The atmosphere would be lost and the songs wouldn't improve - fairly confident it would be sterility in the extreme!
                    I don't need wings to reach the sky
                    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...
                    ~~~ Coroner ~~~

Comment

As Maiden fans, I assume you all have already heard this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PRQGt4P6Ko

Not official by any means, but a taste of "Sterility in the extreme"?

Comment

Originally posted by Axe fiend View Post
                        Not official by any means, but a taste of "Sterility in the extreme"?
                        That's an audition from 1981 - hardly the same thing as a band re-recording their classics some years later and releasing it as an album. That's actually current material to the band at the time of recording, performed with a hungry newb singer desperately wanting to impress. There is therefore a point to this performance, and that point is definitely NOT about re-recording classics, the context is important.

For the record I'm fan enough of Maiden to have bought all their albums, though not fan enough to love them all - and I still maintain 100% that if Iron Maiden 2011 tried re-recording the Di'Anno era stuff it would come out like a boiled turd.
                        I don't need wings to reach the sky
                        And I don't need hands to hold you tight...
                        ~~~ Coroner ~~~

Comment

Well, Twisted Sister rerecorded Stay Hungry as Still Hungry.

Deep Purple rerecorded Bloodsucker from In Rock on Abandon as Bludsucker

Blue Oyster Cult did a whole album of songs rerecorded that was really quite good called Cult Classics.
                          Originally Posted by Monster Boy

Depends on who is doing the rating. If they agree with me, they've rated it just right.

Comment

I have mixed feelings on this - I would much rather have the bands record new music instead of revisiting songs they have already done before but that being said I have no problem if a band wants to re-record a classic LP as long as the original is still available. A forthcoming example of this is Girlschool - they are re-recording their classic LP Hit & Run to celebrate it's 30th anniversary - I am waiting to hear what the new versions will sound like but not sure how it will compare with the original since Kelly is gone & I always loved her vocals.
                            At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
                              Candlemass have done various re-recordings over the years, I love Messiah, but found the versions with him doing tunes from the first album pointless and lacking. Have they done any with Rob Lowe singing Messiah tunes? That'd strike me as pointless too.
                              Candlemass had two bonus tracks on King of the Grey Islands, with Rob Lowe singing two classic Messiah-era tracks--Solitude and At the Gallows End. I personally love them. Others might find them "pointless."

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
                              @Franklin: I can think of nothing less appealing than Iron Maiden churning out the Di'Anno material with Bruce. The atmosphere would be lost and the songs wouldn't improve - fairly confident it would be sterility in the extreme!
                              Perhaps it was a bad example. Or not. Depends on your point of view.
                              --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X