Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Mick Taylor or Ronnie Wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mick Taylor or Ronnie Wood?

Obviously, the coolest lead-guitarist (or should i say "the other guitarist"?) in the Stones was Brian Jones, but who were the coolest of the two who followed?
    Mick Taylor
    70.00%
    Ronnie Wood
    30.00%
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

I'll vote Mick Taylor, though I'd like to stress that I hardly listen to the Stones for the lead guitar... it's the awesome songwriting and sound picture I adore about this band and nothing else. Mick wasn't even there on my favorite album, "Beggars Banquet", but he is obviously better in my opinion, especially in the few live versions I've heard.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

Strange thing is; i myself actually have no opinion on this matter. I was watching the Crossfire Hurricane doc and i just started wondering.
      But i have this go-to-guy when it comes to Stones, M Crüe and The Smits and he said it was Mick Taylor. So i guess, without voting myself, i'll halfway go for him...
      95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Comment

But remember, i'm not necessarily asking who was the best, but who was the coolest. Big diff...

Comment

Ronnie, though he was actually probably cooler in The Faces and solo career.
          My Rock, Alternative, and Metal review page:

http://deadrockanthem.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ohhh... I love Small Faces and some of Ronnie Lanes solo-stuff, but i can't handle the Faces. Probably because of Roddie, but sadly Ronnie become a victim of that feeling in that context.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
              But remember, i'm not necessarily asking who was the best, but who was the coolest. Big diff...
              Yeah I thought about that but I ended up ignoring it and going for the best one anyway. The reason? I can't even remember what any of those guys looked/looks like.
              "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)

My first album!!!:

Comment

Originally posted by Josef_K View Post
                I can't even remember what any of those guys looked/looks like.
                Cool is more about attitude than looks. Atleast IMO...

Comment

There must be a reason why the albums with Mick Taylor is better than the rest of 'em. Can't really hear it in the guitarplaying but still... he must have done something right.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                    Cool is more about attitude than looks. Atleast IMO...
                    Well I say someone looks cool because of the totality of their appearance and behavior etc etc, but since I don't remember any of that I can't say anything about it. "Playing cool" with attitude etc is just rubbish to me, sure what some people call attitude in the guitar tone of for example Tony Iommi and Ritchie Blackmore I also admire, but when it comes to more pure attitude-guitarists (did someone say Angus Young?) I just find it laughable. So yeah, as long as we are talking just about the sound that comes from the speaker, the coolest guitarist is the one that sounds the best imo.

My first album!!!:

Comment

Taylor was the best lead guitarist the Stones ever had and gave them a serious and much needed kick in the ass.... the albums he was on, are some of the best of the Stones' career, and my personal favorites... I don't know if he's "cooler" than Ronnie Woods, whatever that means ,but he's definitly a better guitarist, he's a bonafide lead guitar hero, something the Stones only had when he was in the band... Black & Blue was the 1st Wood's album, it pales compared to Sticky Fingers, Goats Head Soup, Exile, It's Only Rock & Roll... Taylor is equally missed live, where the stones have no punch at all with just Woods and Richards...

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Originally posted by KHH View Post
                      There must be a reason why the albums with Mick Taylor is better than the rest of 'em. Can't really hear it in the guitarplaying but still... he must have done something right.
                      Taylor played some absolutly breath taking lead solos... go back and check out "Sway", "Can't You Hear Me Knockin", "Time Waits For No One", "Heartbreaker",
                      and I'm not even counting the rythem punch he gave the stones... oh it's there, and you CAN hear it..!
                      "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                      R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                        Black & Blue was the 1st Wood's album, it pales compared to Sticky Fingers, Goats Head Soup, Exile, It's Only Rock & Roll...

Don't have to say much more than that. All of the really true great Stones albums were from the "Taylor-era" and after that it went downhill really fast.
                        (Now, I know they made lots of great songs with Jones as well but not full albums and not with the maturity that they had with Taylor).

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                        Taylor played some absolutly breath taking lead solos... go back and check out "Sway", "Can't You Hear Me Knockin", "Time Waits For No One", "Heartbreaker",
                        and I'm not even counting the rythem punch he gave the stones... oh it's there, and you CAN hear it..!
                        You are probably right!

Comment

Yea, I'd say the only non Taylor Stones records that I really like are Let It Bleed and Begger's Banquet... from the Woods era, only Tatoo You stands out... that's a lot of years of subpar crappy albums form the Stones... they've had a good song or 3 from time ot time, but an album on the whole, The Start Me Up album (Tatoo You) was the last really good one... though Vodoo Lounge wasn't half bad...
                          "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                          R. Blackmore

Comment

I voted Mick Taylor - Mick is actually one of my favorite guitarists & I really liked the vibe he brought to the Stones on the LP's Sticky Fingers & Exile - love his live playing on Get your Ya-Yas out - I will say this - if you ever get a chance to see him play live take it - he played in Dallas at a small club in the late 90's & was fantastic
                            At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

IMO, Mick Taylor is the best guitarist the Stones ever had. He made them more of a Hard Rock band. He was cooler than Jones and Wood.
                              "I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

Working...
                              X