Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite albums released in 2013?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorite albums released in 2013?

The year 2013 is nearing its end, so this seems to be a good time to review our favorite new music of the year. I would enjoy reading your comments very much so I hope you will contribute to this thread.

During the year I purchased only six CDs of new music. And this may seem cliche in this forum...
    but my favorite new album is Black Sabbath's 13.

I was expecting to be disappointed by this new album as I had disliked all of Ozzy's releases of the past 20 or so years but I was pleasantly surprised by the result.

Others that I liked include Riverside's Shrine of New Generation Slaves and Ghost's Infestissumam. I haven't listened to Clutch's Earth Rocker enough to have an opinion and I haven't listened to Haken's The Mountain at all yet.

My only disappointment this year was Trouble's The Distortion Field.

I hope you guys will jump in here and discuss your favorite music of the year.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I guess I have to start off with saying that although I don't hate 13, I think it is only decent. Really the only songs I really like are God is Dead?, Loner, and Zeitgeist. So this is not on my list.

Of the albums I have purchased, at the absolute top are:

Warlord - The Holy Empire
    Funeral Circle - Funeral Circle

I also liked:

Church of Misery - Thy Kingdom Scum
    Abysmal Grief - Feretri

As far as albums I have only downloaded and listened to once or twice, but thought they were excellent based on those limited listenings:

Black Oath - Ov Qliphoth and Darkness
    Gostwind - Kkokdugaksi
    Tierramystica - Heirs of the Sun
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

13 is my favorite 2013 album.
      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
      ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Black Sabbath "13"
        Deep Purple "Now What"
        Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

ALBUM OF THE YEAR/century... Black sabbath - 13

Runners up:
          Motörhead - aftershock
          Rob zombie - venomous rat regeneration vendor
          Avenged sevenfold - hail to the king

Disappointment of the year:
          Nine inch nails - hesitation marks

Breakthrough artist:
          Downtrend - one stop sin shop
          Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
            Breakthrough artist:
            Downtrend - one stop sin shop
            Got my copies coming in the mail along with a T-shirt, so I can support and advertise for Downtrend.

Thanks Axeman, can't wait for my order to arrive, hopefully this weekend.
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Black Sabbath-13
              Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Mosquito
              Motorhead-Aftershock
              Queens Of The Stone Age-Like Clockwork
              Iggy and The Stooges-Ready To Die
              Bowie-The Next Day

Much props to the YeahX3's for getting a number 2 above other bands that I love so much. Mosquito is an amazing musical tapestry, it is so far removed from the things I normally like.......... and that is one of the things that makes it so special. This year has been one of the most incredible years for music in quite some time. A Sabbath reunion album I have been waiting for since 1986? A new Bowie album? A new Stooges album? Holy fuck, it's almost been too much to process !!!! I also gotta give an honorable mention to:
              Annihilator-Feast
              Metal Church-Generation Nothing
              they would have been higher up in the list if those other albums weren't so damn good.
              Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Motörhead - Aftershock
                Black Sabbath - 13
                Mutiny Within - Synchronicity
                Anathema - Universal
                Volbeat - Outlaw gentlemen and shady ladies
                Tesseract - Altered State
                Tarja - Colours in the Dark
                Fleshgod Apocalypse - Labyrinth
                Last edited by TYR66; 12-07-2013, 02:04 AM.

Comment

I haven't had a disappointing year in music album buys in a long time. I buy a lot of albums, and luckily, find myself liking a majority of them.

Favourites of 2013:

Suffocation ~ 'Pinnacle of Bedlam'
                  Deicide ~ 'In the Minds of Evil'
                  Cathedral ~ 'The Last Spire'
                  Immolation ~ 'Kingdom of Conspiracy'
                  The Dillinger Escape Plan ~ 'One of Us Is the Killer'
                  Deeds of Flesh ~ 'Portals to Canaan'
                  Exhumed ~ 'Necrocracy'
                  Gwar ~ 'Battle Maximus'
                  "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

I have to add another new favorite 2013 album to the list, and that is our very own Axeman's band Downtrend and their new album "One Stop Sin Shop"

Comment

Some great albums this year...

I don't want to put these in order just yet since some of them need more time to sink in...But the 10 best would be:

Jon Oliva - Raise The Curtain
                      Benedictum - Obey
                      Witchburn - Bathed In Blood
                      Motörhead - Aftershock
                      Rob Zombie - Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor
                      Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito
                      Deep Purple - Now What?!
                      Blaze Bayley - Russian Holiday (EP)
                      Cathedral - The Last Spire

I think those take the cake. All great albums.

Some that could have almost made it to the list would be Megadeth's Super Collider and Huntress' Starbound Beast and bit further down the line would be Sabbath's 13...which is a real shame that it didn't make to the list...

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                        Some great albums this year... I don't want to put these in order just yet since some of them need more time to sink in...But the 10 best would be: Jon Oliva - Raise The Curtain Benedictum - Obey Avatarium - Avatarium Witchburn - Bathed In Blood Motörhead - Aftershock Rob Zombie - Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito Deep Purple - Now What?! Blaze Bayley - Russian Holiday (EP) Cathedral - The Last Spire I think those take the cake. All great albums. Some that could have almost made it to the list would be Megadeth's Super Collider and Huntress' Starbound Beast and bit further down the line would be Sabbath's 13...which is a real shame that it didn't make to the list...
                        Tony is doing a face palm
                        Last edited by OZZYIRONMAN; 12-08-2013, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
                          Tony is doing a dace palm
                          What the hell is a dace palm and why on earth would Tony be doing something like that???

Comment

My favorite albums of 2013

Suffocation - Pinnacle of Bedlam - a good friend of mine (who's never been into death metal) became a Death Metal fan listening to this album. It will win you over too!
                            Queensryche - Queensryche - This is what should have come after 1990's Empire album. It boggles my mind to think that perhaps Tate had been holding them back for 23 years.
                            Voivod - Target Earth - After their founding guitarist passed away in 2005, I never thought I'd hear a Voivod album without him on it. This album not only pays homage to what he started, it propels the Voivod Legacy.
                            Cathedral - The Last Spire - A great & gloomy ending. I wasnt too into their 2 previous releases. This album contains all that I love about this band.
                            The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Headless Ritual - Autopsy
                              Pinnacle Of Bedlam - Suffocation
                              13 - Black Sabbath
                              The Last Spire - Cathedral
                              The Mouths Of Madness - Orchid
                              Abra Kadavar - Kadavar
                              Spiritual Genocide - Destruction
                              Hail To The King - Avenged Sevenfold
                              Countdown To Extinction Live - Megadeth
                              Serpents Unleashed - Skeletonwitch
                              Chemistry Of Consciousness - Toxic Holocaust