Any other KISS fans here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other KISS fans here

I'm a diehard fan... hope i'm not the only one!

Dev likes them too lol
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Count me in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not surrounded by KISS merchandise or in love with Paul and Gene or anything...but I have all their albums except the last two, and the Frehley's Comet/Ace albums and a Peter Criss album too.

I can't say the later 80's albums really blow my mind, by Animalize things were a bit dire but the Ace Frehley and Vinnie Vincent albums all rock-I even enjoy Unmasked and Music from the Elder.

Much like Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne rewriting history/lying about The Blizzard Of Ozz etc Gene (and Paul the silent partner it seems) do a pretty good job of ripping off/denigrating the other guy's contributions which are half the reason KISS are the household name they are today and I find that really distasteful, like Gene himself really.

Having Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer wear the Cat/Spaceman makeup isn't right though, they should be allowed to have their own like Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent.

Fave album?

Comment

I was a huge Kiss fanatic growing up from the age of 7 to 11. They were the one and only band I listened to. Alive was the very first album I owned and they were the first band I saw in concert way back in 1980.

By the end of 82 I'd grown a bit bored of them and my sisters then boyfriend lent me Ozzy's SOTD album and I've never looked back since. Can't say I'm a diehard fan these days but I've always followed what they were up to and always go to see them in concert whenever they're playing in my neck of the woods. Kiss will always hold a special place for me. Their 70's stuff is classic & will always rate highly with me.

Comment

I've been a KISS fan since the late 70's, and much like Jack they're the reason I'm a fan of heavy music, as well as why I became a musician. With that said I can't say Im a die hard so much. Like Wheels I have a problem with Gene & Paul's deceptive tactics; such as going into a recording studio and calling the end result a live album. The only thing live about those Alive albums are the audience, the band even admits to it years later. Regardless of this I love their music. The visual aspects are icing on the cake, but where the band counts to me is with those amazing songs.

Im most partial to the 1st 10 or 12 albums (along with the solo albums). I thought the 80's & 90's were hit or miss. I have listened to Sonic Boom, and wasn't too into it, but I haven't listened to Monster. I am glad that these recent albums are trying to fit within the classic KISS sound, rather then try & adopt a sound from another band such as the 70's with Disco, 80's with Bon Jovi like power ballads, or the 90's when they tried to be KISS N' Chains with Carnival of Souls.

Just like Jack, I moved on about 1980 when I wasnt as into what they were doing; and discovered Sabbath, Ozzy (as well as Rush, Van Halen, & AC/DC) and was just as excited by them as I was with KISS years before. That lasted 7 or 8 years. It was when I got a hold of a 1977 bootleg video in the late 80's that really brought me back in a big way. They had their flaws in terms of being virtuoso's, but they were very underrated for how strong of a band they were during those golden years. That video (and further video evidence as I obtained more & more) reminded me of this, and presented even more raw energy than the Alive albums ever could have. Thats what I've always loved about KISS, it doesnt have anything to do with Rockets, Lasers, Fire-breathing, KISS-mass ornaments, KISS coffee mugs, KISS Mousepads, or a KISS Koffin. For me it's always been about the music, and their ability as a band to put forth a powerful sound that sounds like nobody else.
          Last edited by devstorm; 01-19-2014, 10:04 AM.
          The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Im not a huge fan, but some of their music is great.

I saw them live 10 or 15 years ago, I think Peter Criss was on drums. It was a fantastic show and Im glad that I had the chance to see them live.

Comment

Nice guys! I knew there would be others. My entire room is KISS... I've met them twice too! Maybe ill post a photo

Comment

I am definitely a KISS fan, one of the bands I got into at an early age. My favorite era is the 70s material, but I love all of it really. They may not be the most technically brilliant but they are heaps of great fun. I am a bit of an Ace fanboy- love his solos.

I got to see them on the first reunion tour - it was a hell of a time.
                Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

Originally posted by devstorm View Post
                  I've been a KISS fan since the late 70's, and much like Jack they're the reason I'm a fan of heavy music, as well as why I became a musician. With that said I can't say Im a die hard so much. Like Wheels I have a problem with Gene & Paul's deceptive tactics; such as going into a recording studio and calling the end result a live album. The only thing live about those Alive albums are the audience, the band even admits to it years later. Regardless of this I love their music. The visual aspects are icing on the cake, but where the band counts to me is with those amazing songs.

Im most partial to the 1st 10 or 12 albums (along with the solo albums). I thought the 80's & 90's were hit or miss. I have listened to Sonic Boom, and wasn't too into it, but I haven't listened to Monster. I am glad that these recent albums are trying to fit within the classic KISS sound, rather then try & adopt a sound from another band such as the 70's with Disco, 80's with Bon Jovi like power ballads, or the 90's when they tried to be KISS N' Chains with Carnival of Souls.

Just like Jack, I moved on about 1980 when I wasnt as into what they were doing; and discovered Sabbath, Ozzy (as well as Rush, Van Halen, & AC/DC) and was just as excited by them as I was with KISS years before. That lasted 7 or 8 years. It was when I got a hold of a 1977 bootleg video in the late 80's that really brought me back in a big way. They had their flaws in terms of being virtuoso's, but they were very underrated for how strong of a band they were during those golden years. That video (and further video evidence as I obtained more & more) reminded me of this, and presented even more raw energy than the Alive albums ever could have. Thats what I've always loved about KISS, it doesnt have anything to do with Rockets, Lasers, Fire-breathing, KISS-mass ornaments, KISS coffee mugs, KISS Mousepads, or a KISS Koffin. For me it's always been about the music, and their ability as a band to put forth a powerful sound that sounds like nobody else.

That kind of sums it up for me as well. They were the first real rock band I got into around 78 or 79. As a 9, 10 year old though, for me it was the fire breathing and the blood and lasers that hooked me. A couple years later it became the music as well as music of Sabbath, Van Halen and of course for me Ac/dc. Their 70's music in my opinion has been underrated. I still blast out the 70's cds, but really haven't spent much time on the rest of the stuff with maybe the exception of Revenage.
                  "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

I've got a few albums and saw the classic line up in '96, '97 and '99. Great live act. Loudest band I've ever seen too.
                    Last edited by Ady; 01-24-2014, 01:25 PM.
                    >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
                    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
                    YR CPTIN SPEKING
                    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

ABSOLUTELY!! I consider Kiss to be the GREATEST American rock and roll band of all time! That said, they also INFURIATE me at times with their obsession over the BRAND when it should be about the BAND! It's ALWAYS been about the MUSIC for me and MANY fans, NOT the image!

While I'm at it, I'm THRILLED that they've FINALLY received their LONG OVERDUE induction into the 2014 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame! WELL DESERVED! ...

Comment

Historians last comment actually prompts me to ask those here with an opinion..

Does the Rock Hall nomination really make you feel good, like our heroes are finally getting their due? Personally (and no disrespect to Historian or anyone else who thinks otherwise) I think its kind of ridiculous. The rock hall of fame are obviously a clueless organization. And it seems to me their inclusion of Rush last year & KISS this year are only to try & get some sort of credibility. I think the HOF, is an institution full of fat cat executives,retired managers & agents who'd rather just re-induct James Taylor, Simon & Garfunkle, Eagles (vomit inducing), and Four Tops over & over and over. I mean they voted in rap acts, and jazz acts. Whos next? Boy George & Culture Club? Dont get me wrong I love some acts that are already inducted, but I just feel like the RNR HOF bringing in Kiss & even Sabbath is like my 80 year old Aunt saying KISS, Sabbath & RUSH are cool; but she really doesnt have a clue to what they're about or what they even sound like...

And a second question, do you think Gene & Paul will be able to find a way to play on stage with Ace & Peter on induction night? And will they come close to doing it with some sort of class & dignity without involving Singer & Thayer in makeup?
                        The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

I call it the Rock-N-Roll Hall Of Shame, their inductions and nominations mean nothing to me.

They are acknowledging people who aren't even rock, they are total bullshit in my book, the surviving members of the Sex Pistols, did it best when they didn't even show up, when they were inducted, Sabbath should've done the same.
                          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                          ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by devstorm View Post
                            Historians last comment actually prompts me to ask those here with an opinion..

Does the Rock Hall nomination really make you feel good, like our heroes are finally getting their due? Personally (and no disrespect to Historian or anyone else who thinks otherwise) I think its kind of ridiculous. The rock hall of fame are obviously a clueless organization. And it seems to me their inclusion of Rush last year & KISS this year are only to try & get some sort of credibility. I think the HOF, is an institution full of fat cat executives,retired managers & agents who'd rather just re-induct James Taylor, Simon & Garfunkle, Eagles (vomit inducing), and Four Tops over & over and over. I mean they voted in rap acts, and jazz acts. Whos next? Boy George & Culture Club? Dont get me wrong I love some acts that are already inducted, but I just feel like the RNR HOF bringing in Kiss & even Sabbath is like my 80 year old Aunt saying KISS, Sabbath & RUSH are cool; but she really doesnt have a clue to what they're about or what they even sound like...

And a second question, do you think Gene & Paul will be able to find a way to play on stage with Ace & Peter on induction night? And will they come close to doing it with some sort of class & dignity without involving Singer & Thayer in makeup?
                            Fair questions 'devstorm'. Thanks for asking. YES...I feel it's a vindication of sorts for Black Sabbath, Rush, and Kiss: ALL three NEVER received the respect they deserved in their prime, so to speak, and the fact that the Hall realized they couldn't be ignored forever speaks volumes, in MY opinion.
                            More importantly, SOME FANS never let them live it down either, and rightfully so. Someone has to get the ball rolling, don't they? That said, do I personally need the Hall's "validation" for three of my top five bands of all time? NO! But it's VERY gratifying to me to see my musical heroes FINALLY receive recognition from THEIR industry, be it journalists, execs, and/or most importantly, MUSICIANS: something that MANY in the general public tend to forget when it comes to the Hall's VOTERS. Their PEERS are included in the process, contrary to popular belief.

And make no mistake, MOST bands and artists LOVE recognition for their work from their colleagues, whether they want to admit it or not. There's a reason why a large MAJORITY show up to collect THEIR award, as well they should.

As to your question regarding Kiss, YES...I believe that we will see ALL FOUR ORIGINAL MEMBERS sharing the stage on induction night! Unfortunately, with the bad blood that exists between ALL of them, whether it's done with "class and dignity" is another story entirely. As much as I love Kiss, those are two words that I RARELY use to describe them, sorry to say. Frankly, they should be ashamed of themselves for carrying on with their petty B.S. after 40 years! Hopefully, they will do the right thing: FOR THE FANS! ...

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                              I call it the Rock-N-Roll Hall Of Shame, their inductions and nominations mean nothing to me.

They are acknowledging people who aren't even rock, they are total bullshit in my book, the surviving members of the Sex Pistols, did it best when they didn't even show up, when they were inducted, Sabbath should've done the same.
                              I respectfully disagree 'OID'. I feel there's room for ALL genres in the Rock Hall, regardless if I'm a fan of a particular one or not. To your comment regarding the Sex Pistols, I'm glad that Sabbath took the high road and appeared. They CLEARLY saw the bigger picture. In my opinion, the Pistols, like Axl Rose in 2012, came off as ungrateful pieces' of s**t by their comments and actions. Be that as it may, I do understand your sentiments though!

Comment

Working...
                              X