Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Any other KISS fans here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a fan. I guess I could be a die-hard since I like a lot of the 80's stuff, too. However, it's so lame that they have Tommy and Eric in Ace and Peter's makeup. Seriously, what a rip off. Hypocritical too since Paul and Gene like to say "no one cares who is in the band" but pay two guys to dress up so they look like the original band. It's lame. I wasn't into their last two albums either.

As for solo careers, I've felt inside Kiss, Paul is the best songwriter, but outside of Kiss Ace has the better solo career. His 78 album was the best and the only one that produced a hit single along with being the highest charting Kiss related single since 'Beth'. Paul's solo album is good and Live to Win was fine, but after hearing Ace's "Space Invader" I still feel he's the king of the group in solo efforts. Peter Criss' albums suck. I get they aren't really for the hard rock crowd but the music is just boring. Gene's solo albums are crap and there's times in his "A**hole" where it's just embarrassing. Gene's written great songs inside Kiss, but his solo efforts suck.

My favorite album is either Love Gun or Creatures of the Night. Of course Destroyer is in the conversation, but that's like the album you first get when you're getting into Kiss. It's great, but like any group, when you become a big fan of them chances are their most popular, most played album isn't your favorite

Comment

Pretty much agree with everything you said there Lord, except I've never gotten the love for Destroyer...great title mostly full of "soft" songs.
      I'm not suggesting it's a bad album, but a bit on the light side for me- Dynasty is often poo poohed but I'd take it over Destroyer.

I can't get past Eric and Tommy in the Cat/Spaceman makeup either, I can't stomach it.
      I've nothing against those two guys but they should be allowed to have their own makeup like Carr and VV did.

I'm probably a bigger fan than I realise because I don't mind Unmasked and think Music From The Elder has some gold on it too.
      Albums after Lick It Up are a bit hit and miss IMO, I like a song here and there off later albums though.

I hunted down Peter's "One For All" and was very disappointed, I don't mind that style of music he goes for at all but he could have done a lot better...the songs are weak, especially his vocals- which is disappointing because in my opinion he has the best voice out of all of them.

I rate Paul's 78 solo album quite highly (haven't heard Live To Win yet though) - Gene and Peter's are indeed terrible.

I liked "Modern Day Delilah" from the current KISS, but Ace is blowing them out of the water with albums like Space Invader (and Anomaly- horrible sound but I like the songs)

Comment

The thing about Destroyer is its an Ezrin driven KISS record. Bob is credited on every track & likely steered most of the material to his satisfaction. Destroyer is KISS with a heavy coat of polish, and its polish circa 1976. They weren't aiming for heavy, they were aiming at what Rock was about at the time. The only song I'm not so much in line with is Great Expectations and to a bigger extent, Beth. But Flaming Youth (especially Aces solo) is a definite high point (yeah the circus organ is slightly goofy, I'll admit that). And for as simple as Do You Love Me is, it's got a timeless swagger, and attitude.

If you listen to the Eddie Kramer produced studio albums (R&R Over & Love Gun), they're not much heavier then Destroyer in terms of guitar tones. But they're much more direct and a bit rawer. Furthermore, Kramer didnt tinker with the writing, so in certain ways it's a bit more honest. I think its a little funny that they've compared every new album to Destroyer in one way or another (even when Ezrin has been involved) but have never hit that ideal combination of songs & collaboration.

Wheels Im surprised to read you sell Gene's 78 solo album so short. I think there's a few aspects that never quite made sense, but the whole first side, or first 1/2 I think is pretty solid. Agree on the Peter assessment. Also I'll say aside from I Was Made For Loving You, Dynasty has some great songs. If the album had the production of the Eddie Kramer albums it would have had a different reaction. Still, aside from the one song, the music is good, it just suffers from a weaker slicker poppier production. Stuff like Save Your Love, Charisma, Magic Touch, & Dirty Livin are pretty cool.

For the 80's material I agree with Wheels on the Elder comments. I'd say more then 1/2 the album are keepers. But the running order doesnt work all the time.

Cant say as much for Lick It Up. That one, Hot in the Shade & the grunge album are totally un-listenable for me. Animalize & Asylum are better, Crazy Nights has a song or two.

Asshole, & Live To Win, as well as Monster & Sonic Boom all pretty much forgettable. I think its ironic that Gene claims rock is dead, he seemed to forgot how to write it sometime around 1993.
        The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
          Dynasty is often poo poohed but I'd take it over Destroyer.
          Me too. I like Dynasty a lot, but I think I like Destroyer more than you. I'll never get tired of "Detroit Rock City" like I did with "Beth" or Rock and Roll All Nite for that matter.

Comment

Listened to blood diamond, deuce and a few others you posted dev, pretty rocking and not as lame as I half expected, think I missed the boat a bit with kiss though,
            See parallels between them and ufo, guess kiss was big in America but never really made it over here and vice versa with ufo,
            As for status quo dev, Piledriver is a pretty good album for the time I guess.
            Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
              Listened to blood diamond, deuce and a few others you posted dev, pretty rocking and not as lame as I half expected, think I missed the boat a bit with kiss though,
              See parallels between them and ufo, guess kiss was big in America but never really made it over here and vice versa with ufo,
              As for status quo dev, Piledriver is a pretty good album for the time I guess.
              Well KISS made some degree of impact in the UK, however their biggest problem was they attained massive success in the States within 2 or 3 years. Their stage show grew in that time as well. But since their popularity wasn't growing at the same rate as in the US they couldn't justify booking large places in England or parts of Europe, since they probably wouldn't turn a profit. So their presence over there was slight. Still, they did make some sort of impact on the territories over there and toured the UK/Europe in the Spring of 76, not returning however until 1980 & 83.

The one thing going against KISS to a large sect of the public was their image. Since KISS first came on the scene many people listened with their eyes. They saw pics of Gene spitting fire, and the Make up and costumes then immediately decided that if they had to resort to those circus antics, they must not be able to write good songs. Since KISS toured so seldom outside of North America Im sure many people who may have liked them (had they bothered to hear the band) ignored them.

Anyway Spiral, glad to know you found something worthwhile in those clips. Ill check out Status Quo's Piledriver & see how I like that.
              Last edited by devstorm; 11-26-2014, 10:03 PM.
              The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

True but the image thing is also probably a big plus too in some ways,
                It probably worked massively in there favour also with teenage fans,
                After checking the clips out they could obviously back it up with the music too,
                Perfect package really.
                Just not heavy enough lol
                Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

I replied some other thread that I like Kiss because if they were cool enough for Dimebag Derrel Abbott, they're cool enough for me. Granted I never enlisted myself into the Kiss Army, put on the make up, and/or saw a concert live, but the history itself fascinates me. I see the make up on and off a band line up change with in it's self. I bought myself a box set and three albums recently to give a listen and some of it is really good.

Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
                  Having Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer wear the Cat/Spaceman makeup isn't right though, they should be allowed to have their own like Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent.
                  Or for those two not to wear makeup at all, but I fully agree.
                  Last edited by 8bit Fighter; 05-23-2016, 08:00 AM.
                  "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Quo are one of the best old time rock bands ever. Huge across the Atlantic for sure.

Lizzy > Zeppelin > Kiss > Quo > Slade > Ac/dc

I have also come to respect Unmasked and Dynasty which both are quite good. Elder of course ... is legendary or not depending on who you ask. I love half of it.
                    Last edited by Sin Cardinal Sin; 05-23-2016, 01:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sin Cardinal Sin View Post
                      Quo are one of the best old time rock bands ever. Huge across the Atlantic for sure.

Lizzy > Zeppelin > Kiss > Quo > Slade > Ac/dc

I have also come to respect Unmasked and Dynasty which both are quite good. Elder of course ... is legendary or not depending on who you ask. I love half of it.
                      Can't say I'm too big on Status Quo, I know they have a few good tunes but how you could compare them to monsters like ACDC...?

Anyways, I love half of The Elder too.
                      Dynasty gets lumped as "the disco album" but besides I Was Made For...and perhaps Dirty Livin (both being "disco") it's a solid hard rock album, and it's got alot of Ace songs.
                      Unmasked is nowhere near as strong as Dynasty but it's still a pretty decent album.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
                        Can't say I'm too big on Status Quo, I know they have a few good tunes but how you could compare them to monsters like ACDC...?

Anyways, I love half of The Elder too.
                        Dynasty gets lumped as "the disco album" but besides I Was Made For...and perhaps Dirty Livin (both being "disco") it's a solid hard rock album, and it's got alot of Ace songs.
                        Unmasked is nowhere near as strong as Dynasty but it's still a pretty decent album.
                        They have many good albums.

They could take 12 bar blues and bring Maiden like complexity to it.

Comment

• WTF ?? Not at all a fan of Kiss but I dare to imagine the reaction of the public when he/she comes on stage! I've surely missed something...
                          Grotesque situation.

Comment

• The world is changing for the worse.
                            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                            ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                              The world is changing for the worse.
                              sadly true .

Comment

• Man, I love VV's work and think he's music was awesome. I hope he releases something new. We need to support the old school rockers of yore. These days, new metal bands are posers. Good luck Vinnie and thanks TYR66 for sharing the YouTube link.

Comment

Working...
                                X