Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Fav 70's David Bowie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ Don't really get the Leper Messiah connection..?
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

It's almost a tie between The Man Who Sold The World and Hunky Dory but... Hunky's got "The Bewlay Brothers" so... contest is over

"I was Stone and he was Wax
      So he could scream, and still relax, unbelievable
      And we frightened the small children away
      And our talk was old and dust would flow
      Thru our veins and Lo! it was midnight
      Back at the kitchen door
      Like the grim face on the Cathedral floor
      And the solid book we wrote
      Cannot be found today"

It's like... I don't care what it's about, or if David is telling us the truth and it's not about anything. It doesn't matter, these are some of the best lyrics I've ever read!
      "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
      -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
      - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
      http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
        ^^^ Don't really get the Leper Messiah connection..?
        We were the leper's he our Messiah... Hendrix was worshiped... it just always reminded me of him when I hear the song... snow white tan, (a black man discovered by the white British community...) voodoo chile... etc etc...
        "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
        R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
          We were the leper's he our Messiah... Hendrix was worshiped... it just always reminded me of him when I hear the song... snow white tan, (a black man discovered by the white British community...) voodoo chile... etc etc...
          Yeah, i got the other connections, but as the "leper messiah" is one person in the lyrics, i didn't get the devide interpretation of star vs. audience.
          95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
            Yeah, i got the other connections, but as the "leper messiah" is one person in the lyrics, i didn't get the devide interpretation of star vs. audience.
            Maybe rock fans at that time, late 60's, were viewed by the establishment as lepers... and Jimi was just one of the many prophets or messiah's... giving hope (peace & love) to the hopeless...?
            "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
            R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Josef_K View Post
              It's almost a tie between The Man Who Sold The World and Hunky Dory but... Hunky's got "The Bewlay Brothers" so... contest is over

"I was Stone and he was Wax
              So he could scream, and still relax, unbelievable
              And we frightened the small children away
              And our talk was old and dust would flow
              Thru our veins and Lo! it was midnight
              Back at the kitchen door
              Like the grim face on the Cathedral floor
              And the solid book we wrote
              Cannot be found today"

It's like... I don't care what it's about, or if David is telling us the truth and it's not about anything. It doesn't matter, these are some of the best lyrics I've ever read!
              It was about the relationship between Bowie and his older brother. The guy was mentally ill and ended up killing himself. Bowie also mentioned him in the song "Seven" off of his brilliant "Hours" album.
              Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Originally posted by Never Satisfied View Post
                It was about the relationship between Bowie and his older brother. The guy was mentally ill and ended up killing himself. Bowie also mentioned him in the song "Seven" off of his brilliant "Hours" album.
                I think you can find examples on all his albums where that is a topic, or atleast madness in general. The Man Who Sold The World is pretty much all about Terry (he understood himself in hindsight).

Terry was an important figure and inspiration for young David, introducing him to Jazz and Beat poets amongst other stuff, so it was a hard blow on him when Terrys schizophrenia kicked in.

Comment

Working...
                X