Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Fav Bowie Era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah Stage(s?) is awesome, I actually picked it as my fave album in the other thread.

It's usually my "go to" when I want a Bowie fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
      Yeah Stage(s?) is awesome, I actually picked it as my fave album in the other thread.

It's usually my "go to" when I want a Bowie fix.
      Sorry typo .. yes it's Stage.. Funny I left the disc in my wife's car. Also I voted for Berlin Trilogy, the thread says I voted, but it still shows zero votes. Not sure what's up with that.

I still have the album. the cd was used for only $5.99..

Comment

Score!

The version of Station To Station on it is killer, probably my favourite version of Ziggy Stardust too (with the electric violin)

Comment

Songs and performances like this forced my hand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtokH0pNC70

Doesn't get much better than that!
          I haven't given that era a chance yet, but this song sounds great so I guess I should explore these albums further Voted for the failed hippie anyway though, some of those songs are simply unbeatable. The Berlin Trilogy has some very interesting stuff as well but was imo more of just that, interesting. They were a process imo, one which didn't really end up in a masterpiece, rather in some really interesting and inspiring ideas. Great albums for inspiration, but not the best songs he's written by far.
          "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
          -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
          - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
          http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

This was tough for me. I am most familiar with the singles, the man who sold the world and the next day albums.

Comment

I've gotta say The Next Day is in my opinion one of the best albums he has ever done.
              It invokes a lot of his different phases without (the dreaded) rehashing, and I just find it to be a really engaging album.

Comment

I've gotta say The Next Day is in my opinion one of the best albums he has ever done.
                It invokes a lot of his different phases without (the dreaded) rehashing, and I just find it to be a really engaging album.
                Hmm... Guess i'll have to check it out a few more times. Bowie sometimes takes time to "get into"... I was listening to Heathen for about half a year before i got into it, now it's one of my faves.
                95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                  Hmm... Guess i'll have to check it out a few more times. Bowie sometimes takes time to "get into"... I was listening to Heathen for about half a year before i got into it, now it's one of my faves.
                  It took me years and years to realise how good Hours is, I remember buying it when it came out and not being very impressed at all ( after really being into Outside and Earthling)...Heathen took a while too, though I still think Reality is rather poor on the whole...should revisit it.

The Next Day was released here in Australia on my birthday, it felt like a gift just for me

If You Can See Me is a weak song though...title track, Love Is Lost, Where Are We Now, I'd Rather Be High, Valentine's Day, Boss Of Me and How Does The Grass Grow all really blow my mind.
                  Last edited by Wheels Of Confusion; 12-01-2014, 08:06 AM.

Comment

The Next Day was released here in Australia on my birthday, it felt like a gift just for me
                    Always nice to have a special connection to the music one like

Hours, second to Man Who Sold, was my introductions to Bowie as a whole, and i found those to be pretty easy to get into. Might be the hard rockyness to them, couse that was the exact time i left metal behind to explore other areas... Being introduced to Hash might've helped too... "Oh no, not me. I never lost control..."

Reality IS a very good album, i've listened ALOT to it, but it's a big step down from Hours and Heathen...

The hardest to get into for me (and which i still haven't REALLY mastered yet, either) was some of the most ambient 70's-stuff and Outside. Exept ofcourse Loving The Alien, which i don't even care to try to spend time with... Call me ignorant
                    Last edited by Billy Underdog; 12-01-2014, 08:48 AM.
                    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Comment

Oh yeah, my whole life was turned right upside down at the time The Next Day came out too...I haven't been so into a new album in AGES- it was like starting over or something.

I grew up on the mainstream 80's/ then Black Tie White Noise Bowie, got right into the Ronson/Diamond Dogs etc era stuff as a teen and then the "Berlin" alongside Outside and Earthling, later really appreciating Young Americans and Station To Station- poo poohing 80's Bowie and then coming to love that too...listen to "Time Will Crawl" off Never Let Me Down ( or the live version from the Glass Spider tour) and I hope you will hear how good it is.

Loving The Alien is another one I love too, haha.

Comment

I do see the charm of Let's Dance, i have to say. And i also like both Black Tie White Noise and Earthling, so it seems like it's kinda every other album to me for a period there...

Poll just for you; pick one: Ziggy Stardust or Aladdin Sane?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                          I do see the charm of Let's Dance, i have to say. And i also like both Black Tie White Noise and Earthling, so it seems like it's kinda every other album to me for a period there...

Poll just for you; pick one: Ziggy Stardust or Aladdin Sane?
                          While Aladdin Sane is brilliant it is a little hodge podge/ inconsistent ( and seeing how it actually was cobbled together on the road, that's fair enough)- it might have some stronger songs on it but overall I think Ziggy wins out there...or not?

Hmmm...I think my heart says Aladdin but my head says Ziggy.

Grrr....final answer: Aladdin Sane.

Comment

Hehe, many have problems with that one... I've always gone with Ziggy. As you say, Aladdin is a bit here and there, but i actually also think the songs on Ziggy are better, and there are more good songs (i know most don't agree). Also, there's a bit too much a follow-up feel to Aladdin (Yeah, Bowie, i know you claim he's a different character than Ziggy, but you've also said it's "Ziggy in America". Come on, even Halloween Jack is just Ziggy with an eye-patch...).

Comment

I've never differentiated between Ziggy, Aladdin and Halloween Jack to be honest, haha.

Moonage Daydream (that ending!) may trump anything on AS, I'm actually really fond of the Ziggy songs performed on the Stage album- possibly even more than the album versions.
                              The Ziggy motion picture soundtrack blows me away, their renditions of songs like Moonage Daydream and The Width Of A Circle are bloody amazing.

I remember being a long haired stoner teenager and having this job where I worked for this angry redneck guy where we dug holes and made fences, anyways here's me having just discovered that live album, and I'm in this dreamland with Moonage Daydream playing in my head all day haha...happy as Larry!

Comment

Moonage Daydream and The Width Of A Circle are bloody amazing.
                                My faves of their respective albums. And very cool they did Width on that tour (and film). I know Bowie doesn't really care too much for that album as it's musically more a Ronson/Visconti-thing...

Comment

Working...
                                X