Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Black Sabbath: Live...Gathered in their Masses vs. Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Black Sabbath: Live...Gathered in their Masses vs. Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day

    I think Gathered in their Masses is better.

  • #2
    Celebration Day by a country mile.

    Comment


    • #3
      LZ - CD, despite how Jr. fucks up the groove on several tracks...
      95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
      Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

      Comment


      • #4
        I have to agree fully with all comments by Wheels and Billy. Celebration Day....hands down.
        Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

        Comment


        • #5
          When questioned about Ozzy era Sabbath, Sabbath will always win hands down.

          But I have to say that Celebration Day is without a doubt right up there with Gathered In Their Masses.

          Robert Plant is at his best, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham, well I'm at a loss for words and wish they would've put out an album after this effort. I would've bought it and attended the concert without a shadow of a doubt!
          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
          ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

          Comment


          • #6
            Celebration Day was surprisingly good - all things considered. Love Gathered In Their Masses but I think Led Zep is unbeatable - even without John Bonham.

            Two of my most cherished bands... pretty difficult to choose really.
            Last edited by Thelemech; 05-25-2014, 10:59 PM.
            Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
              Celebration Day was surprisingly good - all things considered. Love Gathered In Their Masses but I think Led Zep is unbeatable - even without John Bonham.

              Two of my most cherished bands... pretty difficult to choose really.
              I totally agree. For me, Celebration Day is the better piece of work, but it's always hard to choose. We needed some decompression time tonight, so The Mrs and I hung out in my music room this evening, and listened to an original pressing of the Led Zep debut, preceded by an original pressing of the Black Sabbath debut. I switched back and forth trying to figure out which one was my favorite, then I realized how much I cherish them both for different reasons. They are both just outstanding debut albums, and I love them both to pieces.
              Last edited by Now in Darkness; 05-26-2014, 12:05 AM.
              Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                I totally agree. For me, Celebration Day is the better piece of work, but it's always hard to choose. We needed some decompression time tonight, so The Mrs and I hung out in my music room this evening, and listened to an original pressing of the Led Zep debut, preceded by an original pressing of the Black Sabbath debut. I switched back and forth trying to figure out which one was my favorite, then I realized how much I cherish them both for different reasons. They are both just outstanding debut albums, and I love them both to pieces.
                Sounds like a great night of music listening - the two greatest debuts from the hard rock/heavy metal family.

                I actually like the Sabbath debut a tad bit more that the Zeppelin debut.
                Last edited by Thelemech; 05-26-2014, 12:36 AM.
                Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
                  Sound like a great night of music listening - the two greatest debuts from the hard rock/heavy metal family.

                  I actually like the Sabbath debut a tad bit more that the Zeppelin debut.
                  I'm too close and over exposed to both albums to objectively know which one I like better. I bought them both about 38 years ago, and if I base today's decision on how I reacted when the albums were new to me, the Zeppelin debut was the one that stood out and made my head spin. They are both faves today, and I hate my need to always have to know what my favorite is. It's like a curse sometimes.

                  Yes, it was a fun evening, but we were both very preoccupied.
                  Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                    I switched back and forth trying to figure out which one was my favorite, then I realized how much I cherish them both for different reasons. They are both just outstanding debut albums, and I love them both to pieces.
                    Originally posted by Now in Darkness View Post
                    I'm too close and over exposed to both albums to objectively know which one I like better. I bought them both about 38 years ago, and if I base today's decision on how I reacted when the albums were new to me, the Zeppelin debut was the one that stood out and made my head spin. They are both faves today, and I hate my need to always have to know what my favorite is. It's like a curse sometimes.
                    This is somewhat why i'm a bit annoyed with "best of-lists", "one vs. the other" and such (thought i do participate in stuff like that every now and then, mainly out of boredom).
                    But they're both great albums, so why choose? Can't we just love them both without making some contest out of it? (That being said, i think Zep II is better than Zep I. IV is the best of them all, though )


                    Glad to hear you and Mrs Wiz had an evening of relief in these hard times of yours. Would be interesting to know how many times good music, esp. Rock and Rock-related music have helped getting people (esp. teens ;-)) trough hard times.
                    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                      This is somewhat why i'm a bit annoyed with "best of-lists", "one vs. the other" and such (thought i do participate in stuff like that every now and then, mainly out of boredom).
                      But they're both great albums, so why choose? Can't we just love them both without making some contest out of it? (That being said, i think Zep II is better than Zep I. IV is the best of them all, though )


                      Glad to hear you and Mrs Wiz had an evening of relief in these hard times of yours. Would be interesting to know how many times good music, esp. Rock and Rock-related music have helped getting people (esp. teens ;-)) trough hard times.
                      Thanks Billy. Yes, music has gotten me through many a tough time, and is always my crutch when I need to be in the moment. Like you, I also hate picking faves, and the competitive nature that goes with it. It defies logic, but I do the same to myself, and feel like I always need the definitive answer. My perfect rock spectrum looks like this:

                      Yes: prog
                      Pink Floyd: prog rock
                      Led Zeppelin: proto metal/ crossover rock
                      Black Sabbath: heavy metal

                      Those are the majors, with many, many minors filling in between (Tull, Moodies. Purple, etc). The above list covers one end to the other of my listening preferences.
                      Last edited by Now in Darkness; 05-26-2014, 01:27 AM.
                      Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        While I enjoyed both releases for what they were... this isn't even close.

                        Celebration Day by a landslide! and I'm not even the biggest Zeppelin fan

                        The gig, performance, the production, the packaging... a superior live album release in every sense.

                        REUNION would be a more close and fair comparison with Celebration Day

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by VirtuaMuser View Post
                          While I enjoyed both releases for what they were... this isn't even close.

                          REUNION would be a more close and fair comparison with Celebration Day
                          Indeed, GITM unfortunately catches Ozzy in poor form and it's actually the first Sabbath album (besides best ofs) that I haven't bought.

                          If it came down to choosing between the original 70-78 Sabbath's discography and Zeppelin's I'd be able to pick Sabbath without much hesitation though, as much as I love LZ.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            As it was filmed in my home city and I was there I have an extreme bias towards Gathered In Their Masses, but I much prefer Reunion, Live From Radio City Music Hall & Neon Nights 30 Years Of Heaven & Hell over the pair of them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Celebration Day is the far superior "product" .... BUT , you can clean it up , master it , remaster it , re remaster it , spend 2 years on it , throw a friggin bow on it ..... no matter how long you spend with it , the music , as good as it may be , is NEVER going to compete with the material found on Gathered ..... Gathered by a country mile and some!!


                              Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
                              As it was filmed in my home city and I was there I have an extreme bias towards Gathered In Their Masses, but I much prefer Reunion, Live From Radio City Music Hall & Neon Nights 30 Years Of Heaven & Hell over the pair of them.
                              My goodness , great post Jack , now we're talking .... you throw Ronnie into the mix , we no longer have a contest ..... Neon 30 years of Sabbath , leaves both of these releases in the friggin dust!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X