No announcement yet.

70's Judas Priest vs 80's Judas Priest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70's Judas Priest vs 80's Judas Priest.

which do you prefer?

Best 70's albums: Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Stained Class and Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather.

Best 80's albums: British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith.

70's wins for me. Better albums.

Originally posted by BlackSabbath89 View Post
    which do you prefer?

Best 70's albums: Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Stained Class and Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather.

Best 80's albums: British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith.

70's wins for me. Better albums.
    I like the 80's albums better... especially the production.
    That includes Point of Entry and Ram it Down.

Halford was in his prime on Point of Entry - Screaming for Vengeance - Defenders of the Faith and Ram it Down. Rob's vocals on British Steel sound great but he sounds more creative on the other 4 albums. Glenn and KK's two guitar attack shreds on SFV and Defenders and Ram it Down.

I wish Judas Priest recorded Redeemer of Souls with same engineer and producer as most of those 80's albums.

Those 70's albums are great and my favorite is Unleashed in the East!

Comment

70's albums without a moments hesitation. That includes Rocka Rolla. The Lyrics were so much better in the 70's it's not even funny. The songs were heavier , there was no dumb 80's clichés, no bullshit songs about Parental Guidance and Chains that need to be taken away, 70's Priest by far. I still Love the 80's stuff though. Just a coupla stinkers on Turbo and Ram it Down.
      Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Could never seem to get into 70's Priest, with the exception of Hell Bent For Leather. Having said that, I've only really enjoyed Screaming, & Defenders from their 80's era. And nothing since. The Sentinel is easily my fav track. But aside from Another Thing Comin, there's not one song from those pair of albums that I can really trash. I thought the riffs were superb, and even though (imo) there's an obvious contrast in the lead guitar abilities between Tipton & Downing, their moments of dueling solos was really well conceived, and executed, both in the studio & live.

I get what NS is saying about the cheesy lyrics from some of those. But I think the attitude & conviction they displayed musically made up for any of the nonsense. I cant pin down one facet of those 70's albums that I dont like; except to say in some cases as much as I love long winded epics from bands like Floyd & Sabbath, Yes, etc.. Some of that early Priest stuff seemed long winded without a point, and bored me. I think what they developed into from Turbo onward was far sillier then the previous releases, because that attitude was so sorely missing. And to me Painkiller wasnt redeeming whatsoever. Just more cheese.
        The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

70's by a country mile, stuff like British Steel rocks for sure but the 80's stuff isn't a patch on the 70's Priest in my opinion.

Comment

Even though British Steel is my favourite album the 70's era will always be the best for me. The music was more dynamic and creative with better and more meaningful lyrics. I also love the progression they showed from album to album.

In the 80's they kinda simplified their sound and became a more all out straight up metal band and stuck with a certain formula for the most part which at the time I loved and suited me just fine. The 80's also produced their most commercial sounding albums Point Of Entry and Turbo and my least favourite Priest album Ram It Down.

Love both 70's and 80's Priest to death but like Sabbath the 70's will always rule the most for me.

Comment

I prefer both the 70s and 80s.
              Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

Without doubt for me, I would go with the 80's. That's when I discovered them, so those were the first cds I got into.
                "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

I have to say that easily the 80s stuff...British Steel, Screaming For Vengeance and Defenders Of The Faith are among some of the greatest albums ever made so it's a rather easy pick...

From the 70s Sad Wings Of Destiny and Sin After Sin are the best...they have the most good/awesome songs...Stained Class and Killing Machine only have a handful of good/great songs put together...that being said Exciter is one of Priests best songs EVER! Others worth mentioning are Better By You Better Than Me, Beyond The Realms Of Death (although I do find that criminally overrated), Hell Bent For Leather, Take On The World, The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown) and Runnign Wild...the rest from those two albums fall into the meh category for me sadly...

The 80s were Priests golden era for sure...although they did have some overly 80s sounding songs as well, but even some of those a great (like Fever, which probably is the epitome of 80s sound)...

Comment

I like all the Priest albums, I have to leave out the Ripper albums because I don't have them, I'm not knocking Ripper down or anything, the couple of songs I heard I liked.

I chose the 70's material from Rocka-Rolla onwards, I also have to stick up for Turbo, because though it was the more mainstream sounding, it is still a good album with a lot of good and catchy songs.

I think my least favorite of the Priest albums is Ram It Down, but I still like that album. Painkiller is a great Priest album, their best from the 90's onwards. Redeemer Of Souls is new but I'm liking it very much and have been listing to it on a daily basis since I bought it this past weekend.

Judas Priest will always have a special place in my heart, they were the first Hard Rock/Metal band that became my own and who I started following religiously and buying up all their albums when I was a kid, the first band I started buying their books, I still remember, I was 16 and cut school walked all they way from Iron Bound Newark to the Hudson mall in Jersey City to WOW Records and bought their book "The Official Biography, Judas Priest-Heavy Duty" by Steve Gett, I still have that book.

Man those were the days, it was good being a Metal head, I still remember it like it was yesterday.
                    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

70´s Priest is really something special, but so is 80´s Priest

Comment

Originally posted by Judas Priest Fanatic View Post
                        70´s Priest is really something special, but so is 80´s Priest
                        All of Priest is special!!!
                        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                        ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Well to me the 70s albums were "hard rock" but the Metal albums didn't begin until the 80s. I like both eras but the 80s style I find myself spinning more. And I think I'd have to rate the 90s up there too since their best album "Painkiller" was released.

Comment

This is a hard one for me. I never really could get into the first 3 Priest albums, but Killing Machine and Stained Class are some of my favourite albums by any artist. They made more albums that I like in the 80's than they did in the 70's but just because of those 2 albums I have to pick the 70's.
                            http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Originally posted by DARKEST LIGHT View Post
                              Well to me the 70s albums were "hard rock" but the Metal albums didn't begin until the 80s. I like both eras but the 80s style I find myself spinning more. And I think I'd have to rate the 90s up there too since their best album "Painkiller" was released.
                              What? the only "hard rock" album from Judas Priest is Rocka Rolla, the rest is pure heavy metal......Sin after sin and Stained Class are heavier than British Steel, Point of Entry and Turbo.

Comment

Working...
                              X