Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Your Top Ten Purely Metal Bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Top Ten Purely Metal Bands

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Metallica

Ozzy Osbourne

Dio

Judas Priest

Megadeth

Slayer

Death

Sepultura
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

chronological order :

1- Black Sabbath
    2- Judas Priest
    3- Motörhead
    4- Iron Maiden
    5- Venom
    6- Metallica
    7- Slayer
    8- Hellhammer/Celtic Frost/Triptykon
    10 - Both Mercyful Fate and Candlemass
    Last edited by TYR66; 11-03-2014, 01:22 AM.

Comment

1. Black Sabbath Family Tree - Black Sabbath, obviously, Ozzy Osbourne, Dio, Rainbow
      2. Metallica
      3. Slayer

There's nobody else that can chart, really...all other metal bands are vastly hit-or-miss with me. But honorable mentions:

Judas Priest
      Iron Maiden
      Motley Crue
      Guns N Roses

Comment

Sabbath
        Acid Bath
        Saint Vitus
        Slayer
        Sleep
        Cathedral
        Trouble
        Ozzy
        Alice In Chains
        Kyuss
        Honorable mentions- Earth, Pentagram, Candlemass, Pagan Altar, Sunno))), Electric Wizard, many other drone and doom bands!

Comment

Originally posted by jstheconqueror View Post
          Sabbath
          Acid Bath
          Saint Vitus
          Slayer
          Sleep
          Cathedral
          Trouble
          Ozzy
          Alice In Chains
          Kyuss
          Honorable mentions- Earth, Pentagram, Candlemass, Pagan Altar, Sunno))), Electric Wizard, many other drone and doom bands!
          Charger is gonna freaking love you js after that list bro
          Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

Yeah I know he will surely chime in with his list. Think he likes a lot of the classic metal bands like priest, Maiden and some other thrash bands too. I am looking forward to seeing his list. Im sure Candlemass and Cathedral will be on there!

Comment

Yeah I know he will surely chime in with his list. Think he likes a lot of the classic metal bands like priest, Maiden and some other thrash bands too. I am looking forward to seeing his list. Im sure Candlemass and Cathedral will be on there!
              Yeah he likes Candlemass and cathedral loads I think dude
              Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Comment

I'm gonna be cheeky and list solo artist seperate, otherwise I can't do it...

BANDS
                Black Sabbath
                Judas Priest
                Megadeth
                Iron Maiden
                Metallica
                Accept
                Motörhead
                Slayer
                Rainbow
                Motley Crüe

Solo Artist
                Halford
                Ozzy Osbourne
                Dio
                Bruce Dickinson
                Alice Cooper
                U.D.O
                King Diamond
                Dokken

10 HONOURABLE MENTIONS
                Kiss
                Saxon
                Exodus
                Savatage
                Black Label Society
                W.A.S.P.
                Kreator
                Anthrax
                Testament
                Pantera
                Last edited by Jack the Stripper; 11-02-2014, 09:39 PM.

Comment

1) Black Sabbath
                  2) Ozzy
                  3) Judas Priest
                  4) Scorpions
                  5) Metallica
                  6) Megadeth
                  7) Motorhead
                  7) Halford
                  8) Iron Maiden
                  9) Dio
                  10) Pantera

Comment

Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
                    Charger is gonna freaking love you js after that list bro
                    Originally posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
                    Yeah he likes Candlemass and cathedral loads I think dude
                    I hadn't noticed this thread before...

Spiral and Conqueror you crack me up guys!

Top 10 list like this is practically impossible unless you cheat a little and William The Bloody made the best cheat so I'll copy his.

1. Black Sabbath AND related (DIO, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Ozzy, Iommi Solo, Tony Martin projects, Geezer's solo, I think these need to be put together otherwise this would be a rather dull list...or just leave them out)
                    2. Savatage (this one came as bit of a surprise for me actually but I now like it more than Priest or Maiden)
                    3. Judas Priest (come on...)
                    4. Megadeth (I was hooked with them from the very first album I heard, which I think was Cryptic Writings back in the late 90s)
                    5. Iron Maiden (The X Factor was my introduction and I still rank it as their second best album ever)
                    6. Benedictum (Good friends with Veronica and she is without a doubt THE best female metal singer in the world and such a nice person too...and Pete's guitar playing has always impressed me)
                    7. Cathedral (this one's for you spriral and Conqueror Best of DOOM for sure. Lee Dorrian's haunting vocals and Gaz Jennings' incredible very Iommi-like playing are an unbeatable combination)
                    8. Candlemass (Couldn't leave this out. Robert Lowe is without a doubt one of the best singers in the world and he really brought this band to whole new level)
                    9. Anthrax (Joey Belladonna is the best singer in the whole thrash genre and the classic albums are among the finest pieces of metal ever made and Worship Music didn't fall too far behind)
                    10. Down (I know some people don't like Phil's vocals or rank Pantera higher but I've always loved the music of Down more than Pantera. What can I say)

God....that was HARD! I do have to add few SOLO artists here too though...

1. Blaze Bayley (His solo work is amazing, he is one of my favourite lyricists...and one of the nicests people I've ever met, and his energy on stage is INCREDIBLE!)
                    2. Alice Cooper (I know AC was a band first, but to me it's always been about the man not the band the GOD of horror rock!)
                    3. Rob Zombie (If Alice is the god or horror rock Rob surely is the KING.)
                    4. Jon Oliva's Pain (I know this was always meant to be a band but I think of it more as Jon's solo project)

There we go...had to cheat a bit and still forced to leave out a lot of amazing bands like Slayer, Iced Earth, A Sound Of Thunder, Doro, Hammerfall, Motorhead and so on...

Comment

I'm going to borrow upon Charger's explanatory style and cheats that he copied from previous posts.

1. Black Sabbath and Heaven & Hell. All eras. I love the Devil You Know and I love 13 equally. Ozzy Osbourne and Dio solo stuff, I'll include them here as well.

2. Candlemass. Epicus Doomicus Metalicus is probably my all-time favorite metal album. Like Black Sabbath, I like all eras of Candlemass. I'll include related bands Abstrakt Algebra, Krux, and Avatarium here as well. Avatarium's album is my favorite album for the year 2013.

3. Iron Maiden. I'm mainly a fan of the Bruce Dickinson material, not so much Paul D'anno or Blaze Bayley. I'll include Bruce Dickinson solo material here as well.

4. Judas Priest. I'll include Halford and Fight material here as well.

5. Symphony X

6. Accept

7. Overkill

8. Megadeth

9. Metallica

10. Trouble. Especially the first two albums.

Additional comments: I like Savatage and Cathedral a lot, but they didn't quite make my top 10. Both bands are bands that I should listen to more often and, who knows, maybe they'll move higher with time. I never heard Benedictum, perhaps I should. I also much prefer Down to Pantera. NOLA is a top-10 all-time album.
                      How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                      --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Since the list should only include purely Metal bands, I'm gonna leave the likes of Purple, Lizzy, Motörhead, U.F.O and Rainbow out which would usually inhabit a list of this kind.

1) Black Sabbath
                        2) Dio
                        3) Judas Priest
                        4) Ozzy
                        5) Metallica
                        6) Queensr˙che
                        7) Iron Maiden
                        8) Megadeth
                        9) Astral Doors
                        10) Jorn

Honorable mentions: Ghost B.C, Tarot, Overkill, Candlemass, Spiritual Beggars, Cardiant, Trouble, Helloween
                        Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 11-07-2014, 01:55 PM.
                        "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                        "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                        "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

E5150, your list is pretty good too. On any given Sunday, I'd take your list over my own.
                          How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                          --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I realise that I've included some which are Hard Rock rather than metal, but I wanted to put in a list of 10 rather than 7 (the pedantics among you can ignore the last three if you wish). I realised in making this list that I'm far more a fan of Rock, Hard Rock, Prog, Heavy Blues and a number of other genres which are not nearly "Metal" enough ... so sue me!

Black Sabbath
                            Iced Earth
                            Iron Maiden
                            Metallica
                            Megadeth
                            Motorhead
                            Judas Priest
                            Rainbow
                            Deep Purple
                            Thin Lizzy
                            My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

So by saying "purely" metal Im assuming this means a band who's music isn't considered any sort of subgenre? Although Im seeing tons of Hard Rock, Thrash, and Doom bands listed.. well Im going with non-subgenre anyway.

Iron Maiden
                              Queensryche
                              Mercyful Fate
                              Accept
                              Eidolon
                              Grim Reaper
                              Leatherwolf
                              Dio
                              Armored Saint
                              Evergrey
                              The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Working...
                              X