Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TYR66 View Post
    You' re a massive fan of Black Metal . Respect , but :
    Venom IS the real first band of Black Metal, followed closely by Hellhammer and Bathory. No Proto Black or other crap like that , not thrash .
    we were already doing the difference in '83 , when the Bay aera band were born .
    The first Black Metal geniuses ARE Cronos, Mantas, Tom G. Warrior, Martin Eric Ain , Quorthon.
    plain and simple.
    Those who knew Venom early in their career, know what I mean in terms of impact in the world of Metal and ultra negative reactions from some media
    Spot on. Even though musically Black Metal evolved into something different, Venom were the inventors & founders of Black Metal. Absolutely no doubt about it. They were the most extreme metal band around at the time. No one embraced Satan like they did. They were over the top. There would most likely not even be a genre called Black Metal if it wasn't for Venom.

Every self respecting metalhead should own these three albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
      No one embraced Satan like they did.
      Well, Black Widow and Coven did 10 years before Venom, but that was more in a Psychedellic/Prog setting rather than Metal. Still i feel they need to be mentioned in the story of Black Metal too...
      95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
      Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
        Well, Black Widow and Coven did 10 years before Venom, but that was more in a Psychedellic/Prog setting rather than Metal. Still i feel they need to be mentioned in the story of Black Metal too...
        I new someone would mention them Lets just stick to metal eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
          I new someone would mention them Lets just stick to metal eh?
          I tried not to for as long as i could.
          95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Comment

I used to call Venom blackened thrash metal, but they can't be because they were the first black metal band.

Blackened thrash metal came later.
            You tried to suppress me
            But nothing holds me down
            Just when you think you're happy
            I come around

Comment

Blackened thrash metal is like Requium and Octagon by Bathory.
              You tried to suppress me
              I come around

Comment

Is Sodom any good?

I also have a question about crossover thrash metal.
                If thrash metal is a mixture of speed metal and hardcore punk, and crossover thrash metal is a mixture of thrash metal and hardcore punk...it just doesn't make any sense.
                Then there is thrash core, which is apparently hardcore punk played at the speed of speed metal.
                Sounds the same as crossover thrash metal.
                It's very confusing. This seems to happen every time a genre has the word core as the suffix.

Most genres that can be added to hardcore punk are already hardcore punk infused genres.
                You tried to suppress me
                I come around

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
                  Is Sodom any good?

I also have a question about crossover thrash metal.
                  If thrash metal is a mixture of speed metal and hardcore punk, and crossover thrash metal is a mixture of thrash metal and hardcore punk...it just doesn't make any sense.
                  Then there is thrash core, which is apparently hardcore punk played at the speed of speed metal.
                  Sounds the same as crossover thrash metal.
                  It's very confusing. This seems to happen every time a genre has the word core as the suffix.

Most genres that can be added to hardcore punk are already hardcore punk infused genres.
                  Explaining crossover is really pretty simple. Bands like Nuclear Assault, Anthrax, & Slayer (among others) were first & foremost metal bands that added punk to their metal. Whereas bands like D.R.I., Corrosion of Conformity, Agnostic Front, & Cro Mags were foremost Hardcore Punk bands bands that would add Metal to their style. Eventually you had entities like S.O.D. a band that was equally Metal & Hardcore; therefore perhaps 100% Crossover.

Or you can think of it in terms of Pizza.. Thrash Metal is like a Pizza with Tomato sauce, sausage, peppers & chunks of garlic. Crossover is sort of like a Pizza with garlic sauce, sausage, peppers and chunks of tomato. Similar ingredients but the base element of the pies are different.

However when you get into the subgenre's and add "core" it starts to become very convoluted and if you play the same band for 3 different people from 3 drastically different places each will probably call it a different type of core. Death-Core and Death Metal for instance really dont do anything fundamentally different. But because one might have breakdowns all of a sudden its Death Core. But I know of plenty of bands not considered Death Core that have breakdowns & are only considered Death Metal. The definitions are anything but consistent. And I think many "Core's" were born in chatrooms by people who depending on the time of day & how mucgh beer they were drinking tagged a lot of bands arbitrarily This core & That core... however its totally irrelevant to me. Fuck the internet blogger definitions.. why even try to categorize it? Life is too short, just enjoy the music.

Sodom is really cool. Although for me nothing quite tops their Agent Orange album.. its a Thrash Masterpiece.
                  Last edited by devstorm; 04-09-2015, 09:47 PM.
                  The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Is Sodom any good?
                    You should check out the big 4 of Teutonic Thrash - Sodom, Destruction, Kreator and Tankard. All four are really good and some of it is pretty groundbreaking.
                    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
                      You should check out the big 4 of Teutonic Thrash - Sodom, Destruction, Kreator and Tankard. All four are really good and some of it is pretty groundbreaking.
                      I downloaded the song Agent Orange on iTunes.
                      I didn't have enough money left in my account for the full album, but Agent Orange is their best album, right?
                      You tried to suppress me
                      I come around

Comment

I downloaded the song Agent Orange on iTunes.
                        I didn't have enough money left in my account for the full album, but Agent Orange is their best album, right?
                        Agent Orange is a nice place to start. M16 is a great album as well. Epitome Of Torture is a modern album that is quite good.

You should move onto some Kreator and Destruction after you have absorbed Agent Orange.
                        Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
                          Agent Orange is a nice place to start. M16 is a great album as well. Epitome Of Torture is a modern album that is quite good.
                          True . Their previous studio album "Persecution Mania" is a monster too ... like the live album "Mortal way of Live" . In fact , I think their golden era was with Angelripper/Blackfire/Witchhunter line-up .

Comment

I hope the upcoming Megadeth album is good. They have gone downhill ever since The World Needs a Hero.
                            They went closer to selling out than Metallica. Risk came out, people hated it, and the reaction was to go right back to thrash metal. Metallica made a few albums that fans hated. They don't really care.
                            I like most of the Black Album through St. Anger stuff.
                            Megadeth's stuff between Risk and Thirteen was good, but Thirteen was less thrashy, and Super Collider was even less. Hopefully they return to thrash, because I like them better that way, but, I must say that Cryptic Writings was awesome, even though it's not pure thrash.

My problem with bands like Slayer, and probably the Teutonic bands, is that they release the same album over and over again. Reign In Blood was awesome, but they don't need to replicate it over and over.

Anyway, are the Teutonic big 4 like that, or did they experiment with their sounds in the 90s, like Megadeth and Metallica?

Sorry for my post being incoherent and confusing.
                            You tried to suppress me
                            I come around

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                              I heard a Black Widow song, I think it was called Come to the Sabbath. It was rather strange.
                              I prefer the Mercyful Fate song called Come to the Sabbath. King Diamond's vocals on there are awesome.

To me, Venom is black metal, not thrash metal, but they were very influential to it.
                              Dave Mustaine was the actual inventor of thrash metal, though. Does anyone else agree?
                              You tried to suppress me
                              I come around

Comment

I heard a Black Widow song, I think it was called Come to the Sabbath. It was rather strange.
                                Check this one out --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y-f06diUKI

It's THE Black Widow-album, which includes Come To The Sabbat (no H).
                                This is how "true" satanic rock sounds like These guys even recieved advice from Alex Sanders, the "king of witches" (the guy who put a spell on Sabbath because they didn't want to perform on his black mass, which is why they started wearing crosses) how to make mock sacrifice rituals as part of their stage-show, also using his wife as the naked woman to be sacrifised.

The real deal, in other words

By their second album they had left the black magic behind...

Comment

Working...
                                X