Thread for thrash metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post

Anyway, are the Teutonic big 4 like that, or did they experiment with their sounds in the 90s, like Megadeth and Metallica?
    Im not an expert on Destruction or Tankard, but Kreator have done a bit of experimentation within the last 20 of their 30 year career.
    Check out Renewal, Outcast and Endorama.

A lot of bands are guilty of repeating themselves especially past successes. Slayer did some experimenting in the 90's although I wasnt quite as fond of those albums as their more focused thrash albums. Megadeth's whole reason for existing was to outdo Metallica in every way. So thinking of their sell out albums they just tried to out-commercialize Metallica. In light of that Im surprised they never really embraced the Rap metal phase or doing a duet with Jay Z or Piddy Doodle Dandy, or some other Jackass rappers.
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Originally posted by devstorm View Post
      Im not an expert on Destruction or Tankard, but Kreator have done a bit of experimentation within the last 20 of their 30 year career.
      Check out Renewal, Outcast and Endorama.

A lot of bands are guilty of repeating themselves especially past successes. Slayer did some experimenting in the 90's although I wasnt quite as fond of those albums as their more focused thrash albums. Megadeth's whole reason for existing was to outdo Metallica in every way. So thinking of their sell out albums they just tried to out-commercialize Metallica. In light of that Im surprised they never really embraced the Rap metal phase or doing a duet with Jay Z or Piddy Doodle Dandy, or some other Jackass rappers.

What rap metal phase? Anthrax went rap metal with I'm the Man, but I don't know about Metallica.
      There is some quasi rapping in Fuel, though. Megadeth didn't really out commercialize Metallica, but I think they tried to. I really don't think Metallica tried to get that commercial.

Anthrax never got really commercial at all, but they went alternative metal/groove metal in the 90s.
      For some reason, people dont like Anthrax. I think they are great, and Joey Belladonna is the best singer in terms of actual vocal skill in the big 4. I like Dave Mustaine and James Hetfield's voice better, but Joey's voice is cleaner and more melodic.
      You tried to suppress me
      But nothing holds me down
      Just when you think you're happy
      I come around

Comment

Iron W - do yourself a favor and buy The Antichrist by Destruction on Itunes (they have it) when you get some credit in your account. I am listening to it right now and it kicks ass.
        Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

What rap metal phase?
          Not saying there was one. But if Megadeth's prime inspiration was to outdo Metallica at their game, Im surprised they never jumped on the Limp Bizkit/Korn bandwagon the way Sepultura did. By the way Metallica did collaborations with JayZ or Piddy or some sort of Rap guy before St Anger came out, but they never wound up releasing it from what I recall. But the fact remains Metallica tried to be Limp Bizkit when it was trendy to do so. Amazingly someone stopped them & amazingly they listened to the advice.

I really don't think Metallica tried to get that commercial.
          I disagree. Enter Sandman is evidence.

For some reason, people dont like Anthrax.
          I stopped liking Anthrax when they stopped releasing albums I really liked. I think Joey offered a nice melodic alternative to the other guys in Thrash like Paul Baloff, Tom Araya etc. But the band released a lot of mediocre music between 1987 - 1990; and then more mediocre music 1998 - present. I only really like maybe 2 or 3 albums, if that. I remember seeing Anthrax play a Thrash Festival in 2001 when the whole Rap metal thing was on its way out. This was a very spcial benefit show in San Francisco bay area where bands like Death Angel, Heathen, Exodus, Forbidden & Vio-Lence had come out of retirement to play to locals, & even people from Europe, Japan all over the world.. people flew in for this event. The vibe was purely old school & as hardcore & balls out thrash as it gets. The SF crowd was tired of the whole Rap-metal thing COMPLETELY & Anthrax come on stage and play both Im the Man & Bring the Noise in their show. They couldn't read the vibe from the audience whatsoever, nobody wanted any Rap bullshit that night..and considering this was a really special event that was ALL about Metal, celebrating Metal ..it was totally inappropriate. They treated it just like any other Anthrax show..Thats when I lost any respect I had for that band. Scott Ian is a turd.
          Last edited by devstorm; 07-07-2015, 02:17 AM.
          The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

At least Metallica didn't actually release the rap metal collaboration. Instead, the released Lulu, which is just as bad. I shouldn't be speaking for Lulu, though, because I haven't even listened to it. The reviews were bad, so I'm not going to listen to it. Load and ReLoad got bad reviews, and I love those albums, though.
            There is actually some thrash metal on those albums.

Anthrax shouldn't have played I'm the Man and Bring the Noise at a specifically metal show. They shouldn't even play Bring the Noise at a regular Anthrax concert. I'm the Man is not that bad. There is a heavy metal video show called Metal Mania, and the only two Anthrax songs on it are Got the Time and Bring the Noise. I guess people don't understand the term heavy metal.

I know that Slayer released a crossover album in the 90s, but I'm not sure if I should buy it. The only crossover thrash album I've ever heard was Speak English Or Die by S.O.D, and it was like watching PeeWee's Playhouse.
            I spent the whole time laughing instead of headbanging. It was silly.
            You tried to suppress me
            I come around

Comment

Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
              Iron W - do yourself a favor and buy The Antichrist by Destruction on Itunes (they have it) when you get some credit in your account. I am listening to it right now and it kicks ass.
              I will do so. Also, I'm going to buy a Slayer album.
              You tried to suppress me
              I come around

Comment

Heathen's "Victims of Deception" is one of my favourite thrash albums for sure.

Comment

Some of the best Thrash bands in MY opinion.

Metallica
                  Megadeth
                  Overkill
                  Slayer
                  Testament
                  Exodus
                  Destruction
                  Kreator
                  Nuclear Assault
                  Sodom
                  Toxic Holocaust
                  Tankard
                  Metal Church
                  Sepultura
                  Onslaught
                  Anthrax
                  Toxik
                  Sabbat
                  Havok
                  Municipal Waste
                  M.O.D.

Comment

Metallica
                    Megadeth
                    Overkill
                    Slayer
                    Testament
                    Exodus
                    Destruction
                    Kreator
                    Nuclear Assault
                    Sodom
                    Toxic Holocaust
                    Tankard
                    Metal Church
                    Sepultura
                    Onslaught
                    Anthrax
                    Toxik
                    Sabbat
                    Havok
                    Municipal Waste
                    M.O.D.
                    excellent list , Thel' !
                    I just want to add these 2 great bands :
                    Coroner
                    Grip Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by TYR66 View Post
                      excellent list , Thel' !
                      I just want to add these 2 great bands :
                      Coroner
                      Grip Inc.

Thanks TYR66 - how could I have forgotten Coroner - one of my preferred thrash outfits??
                      Have not really listened to Grip Inc. but if you are adding them to my list then they must be great,
                      I will eventually track down a few of their albums

Comment

Metallica
                        Megadeth
                        Overkill
                        Slayer
                        Testament
                        Exodus
                        Destruction
                        Kreator
                        Nuclear Assault
                        Sodom
                        Toxic Holocaust
                        Tankard
                        Metal Church
                        Sepultura
                        Onslaught
                        Anthrax
                        Toxik
                        Sabbat
                        Havok
                        Municipal Waste
                        M.O.D.
                        Killer list Thelemech. I will add:

Midnight (If you like Toxic Holocaust you will love Midnight)
                        Sacred Reich
                        Wargasm
                        Flotsam & Jetsam
                        Forbidden
                        Heathen
                        Dark Angel
                        Xentrix (Shattered Existence is a classic)
                        Paradox
                        Vendetta (Brain Damage is a classic)
                        Suicidal Tendencies (How Will I Laugh through Suicidal For Life is untouchable)
                        Intruder
                        Religion won't save me
                        The damage is done
                        The future has ended
                        Before it's begun
                        - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                          Killer list Thelemech. I will add:

Midnight (If you like Toxic Holocaust you will love Midnight)
                          Sacred Reich
                          Wargasm
                          Flotsam & Jetsam
                          Forbidden
                          Heathen
                          Dark Angel
                          Xentrix (Shattered Existence is a classic)
                          Paradox
                          Vendetta (Brain Damage is a classic)
                          Suicidal Tendencies (How Will I Laugh through Suicidal For Life is untouchable)
                          Intruder
                          Thanks Drago. I see some awesome bands on your list like Dark Angel and Forbidden.
                          I would also like to add Death Angel.

I will definitely check out Midnight if they are similar to Toxic Holocaust - one of my favorite modern bands, Joel Grind is a genius!

Comment

Thanks Drago. I see some awesome bands on your list like Dark Angel and Forbidden.
                            I would also like to add Death Angel.

I will definitely check out Midnight if they are similar to Toxic Holocaust - one of my favorite modern bands, Joel Grind is a genius!
                            Totally forgot Death Angel, Act III is amazing.

You will love Midnight if you are a big Joel Grind fan. They are the best combination of Venom and Motorhead. Both of their releases is top notch.

If you like Joel Grind are you familiar with Yellowgoat or Tiger Junkies? Both excellent side projects. Both are in the style as Toxic Holocaust.
                            Religion won't save me
                            The damage is done
                            The future has ended
                            Before it's begun
                            - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Comment

^^^ I am familiar with the Yellowgoat sessions but I have never heard Tiger Junkies - I will check it out.
                              I agree Act III was amazing - I hear that their new albums are worth a listen - I will have to seek them out.
                              Last edited by Thelemech; 07-15-2015, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks TYR66 - how could I have forgotten Coroner - one of my preferred thrash outfits??
                                Have not really listened to Grip Inc. but if you are adding them to my list then they must be great,
                                I will eventually track down a few of their albums
                                with Dave Lombardo , enjoy , my friend !

Comment

Working...
                                X