Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charger View Post
    Hanneman was one of a kind for sure..

Went to see ANTHRAX the other day, they fucking knocked it out of the park! Preforming the full Among The Living album + classics + new material! Kick ass set and a kick ass preformance!

Joey in particular was just incredible. His vocals were top notch....he reached all the same high notes on Among The Living that he did when he recorded it! And such an energetic front man too....He is the best frontman in Thrash metal that's for sure....and the best singer too I might add.

Can't wait to see them again!
    I don't much listen to Anthrax on a regular basis anymore but will always go and see them live when they're playing in my neck of the woods as I know they're gonna put on a great performance. Hope this tour makes its way to Australia but sadly I don't think it will. Metal tours have really dried up in Australia in recent times after being spoiled for a few years there with the now defunct Soundwave festival & subsequent side shows that it use to bring.

Comment

• Slayer Live Studio 54 NYC(1985)

Comment

• This is so fucking awesome -- these guys have knocked it right the fuck out of the stratosphere!!! This is some meaty Thrash Metal and dare I say it maybe the best thing they have done in years and for those of you who know Kreator that is really saying something.
        Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

• This a fantastic display of underground Thrash Metal. Tasty solos and meaty riffs with great vocals make this an essential album.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charger View Post
            Hanneman was one of a kind for sure..

Went to see ANTHRAX the other day, they fucking knocked it out of the park! Preforming the full Among The Living album + classics + new material! Kick ass set and a kick ass preformance!

Joey in particular was just incredible. His vocals were top notch....he reached all the same high notes on Among The Living that he did when he recorded it! And such an energetic front man too....He is the best frontman in Thrash metal that's for sure....and the best singer too I might add.

Can't wait to see them again!
            That sounds like an awesome time!!!!

Comment

• My favorite trash album.
              Last edited by Kennyz; 03-22-2017, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• I really like this new album, the only low point is some of the lyrics are a bit insipid, some are just fine though. And the music is wicked.

Comment

• Picked this up about a half year ago and it slays. It definitely gets better with time, it is a shame that these guys are not more well known

Comment

• Comment

• ^^^ Wicked!!!

Such a stone cold fucking classic of Thrash Metal, it does not get much better!!
                      Last edited by Thelemech; 04-17-2017, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Comment

• Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

• From Blabbermouth: A few years ago, ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian told Noisecreep that ANVIL's "Metal On Metal" was one of his favorite "thrash" albums of all time. He said: "They've gotten popular now, but for a long time, most people completely overlooked ANVIL. 'March Of The Crabs', 'Jackhammer', '666', 'Mothra'. They were all so classic and definitely pre-dated what thrash would evolve into. Robb Reiner's drumming helped invent thrash metal. The guy was just so over the top and so insane. Back then, he was the guy that Charlie and Lars [Ulrich, METALLICA drummer] looked up to. Everyone looked up to him. He was the guy, he was the God."

Regarding the above, does anyone here consider Anvil either to be or to have been a thrash metal band? I owned their Forged in Fire album (their 3rd album release) from the mid-80's until I sold it and I don't recall anything sounding remotely like thrash on the album. I realize that it's their preceding album and songs from it being mentioned/quoted above, but I've had their Backwaxed album since the early 90's which has a few songs from Metal on Metal on side 2 and I don't recall any of them sounding like thrash either.

There is a previously unreleased song on side 1 of Backwaxed which does sound like it has some thrash elements; it's an instrumental called Pussy Poison but that's about it.

Thoughts?

Ted

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Sallis View Post
                              From Blabbermouth: A few years ago, ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian told Noisecreep that ANVIL's "Metal On Metal" was one of his favorite "thrash" albums of all time. He said: "They've gotten popular now, but for a long time, most people completely overlooked ANVIL. 'March Of The Crabs', 'Jackhammer', '666', 'Mothra'. They were all so classic and definitely pre-dated what thrash would evolve into. Robb Reiner's drumming helped invent thrash metal. The guy was just so over the top and so insane. Back then, he was the guy that Charlie and Lars [Ulrich, METALLICA drummer] looked up to. Everyone looked up to him. He was the guy, he was the God."

Regarding the above, does anyone here consider Anvil either to be or to have been a thrash metal band? I owned their Forged in Fire album (their 3rd album release) from the mid-80's until I sold it and I don't recall anything sounding remotely like thrash on the album. I realize that it's their preceding album and songs from it being mentioned/quoted above, but I've had their Backwaxed album since the early 90's which has a few songs from Metal on Metal on side 2 and I don't recall any of them sounding like thrash either.

There is a previously unreleased song on side 1 of Backwaxed which does sound like it has some thrash elements; it's an instrumental called Pussy Poison but that's about it.

Thoughts?

Ted
                              I've never considered them thrash at all, but in hindsight they did have some thrash and speed metal characteristics. Mainly the pacing of the songs and chugging guitar. Lips used a lot of palm muting & could churn out a meaty and memorable riff for sure(Metal On Metal is loaded with them) and Robb Reiner's drumming was pretty aggressive and definitely stood out, but to me their sound & style blended the heavier elements of Priest & Maiden but obviously without the songwriting skills of those two bands. In a way they were Canada's version of the NWOBHM.

Metal On Metal probably came along a bit too late to have a profound influence on thrash but I'm sure at least a little bit of it did rub off on Metallica & Anthrax and the like...

Comment

• ^^ Thanks for your reply - you make quite a few good points. Yes, Metal on Metal (the album) came out in April 1982 which was likely a bit late to influence the thrash movement on the one hand but on the other, it came out early enough to influence bands like Metallica and Anthrax.

Ted

Comment

Working...
                                X