Thread for thrash metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ted Sallis View Post
    ^^ Thanks for your reply - you make quite a few good points. Yes, Metal on Metal (the album) came out in April 1982 which was likely a bit late to influence the thrash movement on the one hand but on the other, it came out early enough to influence bands like Metallica and Anthrax.

Ted
    Yeah as I mentioned I'm sure it might've rubbed off on them to some extent if they were listening to that album at the time but not to the extent the NWOBHM movement and other bands did. Metallica's Power Metal demo which had Hit The Lights, Jump In The Fire, The Mechanix and Motorbreath on it was recorded in April of 82 and their No Life 'til Leather demo which added Metal Militia, Seek & Destroy and Phantom Lord to the previously written songs was recorded in July of 82. Similarly both Anthrax & Slayer recorded demo's in 82 as well. So the timeline probably indicates that it came a little late in the piece to have a conscious influence on them.

I started following those thrash bands and the whole thrash movement from 1984, soon after Ride The Lightning hit and in all the years I can't seem to ever really recall any of them mentioning Anvil or the Metal On Metal album as having any sort of influence or effect on them until the Anvil movie came out a few years back.
    Last edited by Jack the Stripper; 04-21-2017, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• I never considered Anvil to be anywhere near a Thrash Metal outfit. They sound like Rock N Roll on steroids when they are on and totally forgetful garbage when they are off. I think that there is a reason they were not very successful, I mean they are third rate IMHO.
      Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
        Yeah as I mentioned I'm sure it might've rubbed off on them to some extent if they were listening to that album at the time but not to the extent the NWOBHM movement and other bands did. Metallica's Power Metal demo which had Hit The Lights, Jump In The Fire, The Mechanix and Motorbreath on it was recorded in April of 82 and their No Life 'til Leather demo which added Metal Militia, Seek & Destroy and Phantom Lord to the previously written songs was recorded in July of 82. Similarly both Anthrax & Slayer recorded demo's in 82 as well. So the timeline probably indicates that it came a little late in the piece to have a conscious influence on them.

I started following those thrash bands and the whole thrash movement from 1984, soon after Ride The Lightning hit and in all the years I can't seem to ever really recall any of them mentioning Anvil or the Metal On Metal album as having any sort of influence or effect on them until the Anvil movie came out a few years back.
        I agree that Anvil did not influence bands like Metallica and Anthrax to the extent the NWOBHM movement and other bands did. Lars Ulrich, Metallica's drummer has stated that it was the 2 'Heads', namely Motorhead and Diamond Head that generally had the biggest influnece on them when they were starting out. I have the entire Power Metal and No Life 'til Leather demos on 1 CD and agree that due to the recording dates you state above, Anvil's impact with Metal on Metal would have come a little late.

I too started following the thrash movement in 1984 at the same time you did. I had 1st become aware of Anvil about 2 years earlier when I 1st saw the video for the song Metal on Metal on TV. No, I too don't recall any mention of Anvil as an influence by the members of Metallica, etc.

Ted

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
          I never considered Anvil to be anywhere near a Thrash Metal outfit. They sound like Rock N Roll on steroids when they are on and totally forgetful garbage when they are off. I think that there is a reason they were not very successful, I mean they are third rate IMHO.
          LIPS, Anvil's frontman, described in the 80's how the HM movement had gone in 2 extreme directions at the time: the commercial, glam-metal direction i.e. Poison, Cinderella, and the thrash, speed metal direction, i.e. Metallica, Slayer, Exodus. He then lamented that the stuff which went sort of down the middle which he stated Anvil had always tried to do had almost disappeared and that irreparable damage had been done as a result.

Ted

Comment

• I should not have called them third rate - more like second rate

Actually I like some of their stuff with the early era certainly containing some gems. The metal they were doing by the mid to late eighties (MadDogAnyone????) was really cheesy in my opinion in a almost Manowarish ridiculousness way.

I do have a greatest hits of theirs that gets some spins here and there.

...Razor are a real Canadian Thrash Metal band that is light years more interesting then most anything Anvil have come up with.
            Last edited by Thelemech; 04-23-2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• Metal On Metal is the only album of theirs I really liked and invested time in, always preferred it over the follow up Forged in Fire...
              I never really bothered with them much after that as I was devoting my listening to better and more exciting bands at the time.

I kinda get what your saying about second rate Thel, the lyrics and themes were kinda lame and their overall songwriting wasn't upper echelon stuff, very straight forward & simple but you can't doubt that Lips and Robb Reiner could really play.

I felt inspired to give MOM a spin today, it's been a very long time since I had and I have to say it still stands up pretty well musically. Still a very heavy album that doesn't sound too dated at all.

You could call March Of The Crabs proto thrash.

Last edited by Jack the Stripper; 04-22-2017, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• Anvil had a little success in 83 with this photo of Enfer Magazine which many people have to keep in memory here!
                Very disappointed by the first (and last) listening of Forged In Fire. The worst being the voice of Lips. Very average quality.
                The Story of Anvil movie is pretty good .

Comment

• Okay, to change the thrash-subject, here's something that's been debated off and on for awhile. How do people here feel about Gary Holt from Exodus writing for the next Slayer album (assuming there is one)?

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ker...lity-for-sure/

Ted

Comment

• I think that Gary is a master riff writer and I welcome his contributions on the next Slayer album. That being said - I really enjoy Repentless so I know now that Kerry King can carry an album all by himself. It would be great though to have Holt contribute, it would add a layer to the band's output.

Comment

• ^^ I too would welcome Gary contributing to the songwriting for the next Slayer album. I would view it as a positive step and would be looking forward to how Gary's contribution might enhance/influence the Slayer sound.

Ted

Comment

• It was a crime against thrash that he wasn't allowed to contribute more to Repentless than just a few solo's. Gary Holt is one of the all time great exponents of thrash and would've been the kick in the arse Slayer needed after losing their heart & soul and best songwriter in Jeff Hanneman...But Kerry obviously wasn't prepared to share or lose any songwriting credits/royalties by having Gary write some songs of his own. And it told. Repentless was mostly an uninspired generic by the numbers thrash album.

I won't hold my breath that Kerry will allow Gary to write songs or contribute a lot more for the next one either.

Comment

Repentless was mostly an uninspired generic by the numbers thrash album.

What the hell? Repentless was the best Slayer album since God Hates Us All...Kerry did a great job paying tribute to Jeff...

I've heard very little negative comments about Repentless so I'm bit surprised by this actually....

Comment

It was a crime against thrash that he wasn't allowed to contribute more to Repentless than just a few solo's.
                            I won't hold my breath that Kerry will allow Gary to write songs or contribute a lot more for the next one either.
                            Quite a few others agree that Gary should have contributed to the writing of Repentless. Regarding the next album, I think that if Kerry King allows Gary to contribute to the writing of it that he'll likely be limited to co-writing no more than 2 or 3 songs.

Ted

Comment

• Repentless has nothing on classic 80's Slayer albums. It's got some good songs but it mostly forgettable just like God Hates Us All and and every album after Seasons.

Comment

• This album is fantastic and I bet these guys could out play most bands. Fabulous solos and excellent riffage.

Comment

Working...
                                X