Thread for thrash metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
    Some of the best Thrash bands in MY opinion.

Metallica
    Megadeth
    Overkill
    Slayer
    Testament
    Exodus
    Destruction
    Kreator
    Nuclear Assault
    Sodom
    Toxic Holocaust
    Tankard
    Metal Church
    Sepultura
    Onslaught
    Anthrax
    Toxik
    Sabbat
    Havok
    Municipal Waste
    M.O.D.
    Good list, You've covered off the best of thrash here. Nice to see you included Havok in there too They're the best of the new breed of thrash bands... Old skool Megadeth, Slayer & Exodus all rolled into one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
      Good list, You've covered off the best of thrash here. Nice to see you included Havok in there too They're the best of the new breed of thrash bands... Old skool Megadeth, Slayer & Exodus all rolled into one.
      Havok is damn great Thrashing madness! Like you mentioned - the best of the new breed.
      Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

I see that people like Testament a lot, but I've never really been able to get into them. They don't sound very interesting to me. I like a few of their songs, but I can't get into their whole discography. I prefer Exodus, they're just more interesting to me. The case with bands like Overkill and Slayer is the same as it is for Testament.
        You tried to suppress me
        But nothing holds me down
        Just when you think you're happy
        I come around

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
          I see that people like Testament a lot, but I've never really been able to get into them. They don't sound very interesting to me. I like a few of their songs, but I can't get into their whole discography. I prefer Exodus, they're just more interesting to me. The case with bands like Overkill and Slayer is the same as it is for Testament.
          Are you trying to say that Overkill is just as a boring wannabe copy of Slayer as Testament is to Exodus?
          95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
          Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

I can understand not liking Testament - but Overkill is one of the best, most consistent and "True" Thrash bands of all time.
            Make sure you give Overkill a good listen before you write them off Iron W.

Comment

Originally posted by TYR66 View Post
              with Dave Lombardo , enjoy , my friend !
              That is pretty damn good. Thanks for the vid my Sabbath bro!

Comment

I can understand not liking Testament - but Overkill is one of the best, most consistent and "True" Thrash bands of all time.
                Make sure you give Overkill a good listen before you write them off Iron W.

I don't have a full Overkill album, but I 've heard a few of they're songs.
                Isn't The Years of Decay considered their best?

I have a Testament album, and I really like Chuck Billy's vocals and Alex Scholnick's guitar playing.
                They are just not as interesting as Exodus. I have Tempo of the Damned, and that is one of the best modern albums I've ever heard. It's like a classic, but it's not old enough to be a classic. It's up there with releases like Bonded by Blood. I don't like the Dukes era stuff as much, but I have all three Dukes era albums, not counting the re recording of Bonded by Blood. His voice is not as good as Steve Souza's. Not saying Steve Souza is an awesome singer or anything, but he's a decent singer.
                You tried to suppress me
                I come around

Comment

I don't have a full Overkill album, but I 've heard a few of they're songs.
                  Isn't The Years of Decay considered their best?

I have a Testament album, and I really like Chuck Billy's vocals and Alex Scholnick's guitar playing.
                  They are just not as interesting as Exodus. I have Tempo of the Damned, and that is one of the best modern albums I've ever heard. It's like a classic, but it's not old enough to be a classic. It's up there with releases like Bonded by Blood. I don't like the Dukes era stuff as much, but I have all three Dukes era albums, not counting the re recording of Bonded by Blood. His voice is not as good as Steve Souza's. Not saying Steve Souza is an awesome singer or anything, but he's a decent singer.
                  The Years Of Decay is a fine album, but in my opinion they have many albums that are just as good or greater than that record. Horrorscope, Ironbound, Necroshine, Taking Over and The Electric Age are all great efforts from the band. Overkill has never really sold out except arguably on the I Hear Black album - but if that is a sellout because of its Groove Metal elements then pretty much every Thrash band has had some of that sound in their history, would they all be sellouts??
                  Last edited by Thelemech; 07-17-2015, 04:01 PM.

Comment

As of recent, I've been getting really into Slayer for the first real time in my life. I used to always have some trouble getting into their music, but as of recent I just can't stop listening to it. It helps I'm back on a Death Metal kick as well I suppose, but even then, Slayer is still just a standout band (Well up until Christ Illusion that is, for some reason I don't enjoy listening to it or World Painted Blood as much...). I've also discovered I don't enjoy Anthrax with John Bush as much as I once did, or at least We've Come For You All has definitely been leaving a much worse taste in my mouth than I ever originally remember it leaving. It's amazing how opinions can change over time.

That said, I love Thrash Metal to death. It doesn't cross the line as often as the other extreme metals do (Which is to say, so heavy and extreme for the sake of heavy and extreme to the point where I'm no longer enjoying it. I don't give a fuck about content matter lol) and allows for a little more variety while usually remaining heavy. Megadeth has always been my favorite of the thrash giants, I just love the way Dave Mustaine leads the band and his vocals are extremely unique. Plus he's had a ton of experimentation that has actually worked over the years, besides most of Risk and Super Collider, both of which I agree weren't good albums, but not bad either.

Testament is probably my next favorite thrash band actually, which I know may be an unpopular opinion, but seriously I enjoy listening t them a ton. The before mentioned Anthrax kicks a lot of ass too, though the John Bush era is very hit or miss for me, with some songs being great and others awful. Slayer is quickly working to dethrone Testament though with every listen of their material I have. Not just the early stuff too, but Diablous in Musica and Divine Intervention are both damn good discs too that I'm seriously enjoying. Overkill and Exodus both come in after them, neither of which is a personal favorite, but I always enjoy listening to almost all of their material. I could go on for a while though about thrash like most people in this thread I imagine.

That just leaves Metallica to really mention, and yeah their first three albums are phenomenal records that deserve their place as the best of the best in terms of thrash. ...And Justice would be with them if it's production was a little better and they didn't bury the bass in it. After that though I mostly just enjoy their content, but not as much. There's not a whole lot wrong with The Black Album, it just doesn't stick out that much to me. Load and ReLoad are neat little experiments with some decent content on both albums, but a lot more I dislike then I actually choose to listen to. St. Anger and Lulu are absolutely awful. Death Magnetic is a return to form, but it's mastering is rough (Rick Rubin plays the loudness game too often and it's the most noticeable on this album I've always thought) and the quality of the songs still isn't up to par for me, especially with James Hetfield's vocals taking one of the most noticeable career hits, or maybe he just chooses that style, either way I don't enjoy it as much. Metallica is great for what they did early on, but their my least favorite of the big four, and one of the lesser thrash bands that made it big to me in general.

Comment

I was listening to some Testament today, and I really liked it. Alex Scholnick (sorry for the spelling) is the superior guitarist in musicals skill to Gary Holt. Gary Holt is very good, and can play just as fast, but Alex is more like a Chris Poland type guitarist.

Also, I want to mention another thrash metal band, called Morbid Saint. They are a very underrated band.
                      I would say that they are the fourth member of the second big four.

Exodus
                      Testament
                      Morbid Saint
                      Overkill

I think that that's a good second big four.

Morbid Saint is a very aggressive band, and they have an almost death metal sound to them, but, still, they are definitely thrash metal.
                      You tried to suppress me
                      I come around

Comment

I bought The Legacy last night, it's a great album. I also bought Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer, and it was very good. It seems like it has a few standouts (Dead Skin Mask, Temptation, and the title track), and the rest of the album isn't as interesting.
                        You tried to suppress me
                        I come around

Comment

The legacy is perhaps the most thrash metal Testament ever sounded to me. The albums that followed all seemed to progressively slow down and get more and more melodic, and the production got much more polished as time went on. I didnt notice it at the time as much as now, but I grew less interested in Testament from 89- 95. The Legacy, The Gathering and Formation of Damnation are in my opinion their best efforts at bonafide Thrash. I particularly like formation due to its very focused approach, and leaving out intros with clean and acoustic guitars.

Seasons is perhaps Slayers last great album, although I certainly enjoy songs from many of the albums that followed.

As for Skolnik, vs Holt, they're drastically different guitarists, so I think its impossible to compare. Holt has always been more abstract and improvised. Skolnik has always seemed to be more thoughtful and plot out his solos. I think both are great at what they do.
                          Last edited by devstorm; 07-27-2015, 04:29 PM.
                          The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Most thrash metal bands progressively slow down. Many of the ones who don't are just pandering to their fans.
                            A few do it just to stay true, though.

Metallica slowed down pretty early on, starting in 1984 with Ride the Lightning. Justice is their thrashless album, though. It dosen t have to be fast to be thrash metal.

Megadeth took very long to slow down, starting in 1992 with Countdown to Extinction.

Anthrax started slowing down with Spreading the Disease in 1985.

Slayer slowed down in I think 1987 with South of Heaven.

Testament and Exodus took a long time to slow down, and when they did it only lasted for a very short period.

Slowing down allows the band to focus more on composition, rather than sheer speed and technicality.
                            The Legacy is Testament's most speed metal sounding album. Their other albums are just as thrashy, but, for the most part, they are thrash metal, but the don't qualify as speed metal.
                            You tried to suppress me
                            I come around

Comment

Iron W - do yourself a favor and buy The Antichrist by Destruction on Itunes (they have it) when you get some credit in your account. I am listening to it right now and it kicks ass.
                              I will do so. Also, I'm going to buy a Slayer album.
                              Iron W did you ever get the Destruction album The Antichrist from Itunes?? You will not regret it. A kickass album from front to back.

Comment

Iron W did you ever get the Destruction album The Antichrist from Itunes?? You will not regret it. A kickass album from front to back.
                                I will. I have enough money in there for it.
                                I need to buy actual CDs because everything on iTunes is remastered. Also, their definition of remastering is actually re recording and modification. They add and remove things.
                                You tried to suppress me
                                I come around

Comment

Working...
                                X