Thread for thrash metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thelemech View Post
    Iron W - do yourself a favor and buy The Antichrist by Destruction on Itunes (they have it) when you get some credit in your account. I am listening to it right now and it kicks ass.
    Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
    I will do so. Also, I'm going to buy a Slayer album.
    I will. I have enough money in there for it.
    I need to buy actual CDs because everything on iTunes is remastered. Also, their definition of remastering is actually re recording and modification. They add and remove things.
    I have quite an extensive CD library and a few Vinyl. Better to go the physical media route when it is available. As you explore more and more Metal you will come across classic albums that may be too expensive to get on disk, and sometimes Itunes will have some of these rarer metal slabs at reasonable prices. I buy all three actually, but mostly CDs are my preferred format.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

The weird thing about Blood In Blood Out is the fact that Black 13 has Dan the Automator as a guest. That's a weird choice for a guest musician for a band like Exodus. I would get it if it were Anthrax, but Exodus...
      You tried to suppress me
      But nothing holds me down
      Just when you think you're happy
      I come around

Comment

I have recently been special ordering the Razor reissues and some have arrived over the last week. The album Shotgun Justice is one of the greatest Thrash albums of the 90s. Every song on it is killer - highly recommended to any Thrash fan reading this. Violent Restitution is almost as good. Can't believe it took me so long to get their albums and they are Canadian and a great representation of the more extreme side of Metal from these parts.

Comment

I have recently been special ordering the Razor reissues and some have arrived over the last week. The album Shotgun Justice is one of the greatest Thrash albums of the 90s. Every song on it is killer - highly recommended to any Thrash fan reading this. Violent Restitution is almost as good. Can't believe it took me so long to get their albums and they are Canadian and a great representation of the more extreme side of Metal from these parts.
          I've actually never heard of them.
          You tried to suppress me
          I come around

Comment

I've actually never heard of them.
            I am positive that you would like Shotgun Justice and the new reissues are only 10 to 12 bucks brand new. Razor are a second tier Thrash band, but mighty and intense regardless. Welll worth the investment. I am sure that you could explore their material via Youtube or Spotify.

Comment

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends - here it is on Youtube

- a great Thrash classic!! I have been listening to this on and off today! Fucking Intense!

Comment

I am positive that you would like Shotgun Justice and the new reissues are only 10 to 12 bucks brand new. Razor are a second tier Thrash band, but mighty and intense regardless. Welll worth the investment. I am sure that you could explore their material via Youtube or Spotify.
                Second tier? Like second wave black metal, but for thrash metal. I'm guessing this is 2000s thrash, as thrash made a huge decline in popularity in the 90s.

Or, does that mean not in the big four.

I'm bored right now, so I'm going to make chart for theirs.

1st their:

Megadeth
                Metallica
                Anthrax
                Slayer

Second tier:

Exodus
                Testament
                Overkill
                Kreator
                Sodom
                Tankkard
                Destruction

Third tier:

Morbid Saint
                Death Angle
                Fueled by Fire

I kind of want to say that Morbid Saint should be in the second big four, they are an awesome thrash band.
                The suffered, though, because they were really just kids my age when they started, and they thought that record deals were the ultimate peak of music, so they got one, released an album, so they could say that they released an album through the record company, and then they quit, and went back to playing at home. Now, they are kind of revived, but they aren't really releasing anything.

Buy Spectrum of Death if you don't already have it. It's thrash metal, but it has a death metal vibe to it.
                The album cover on the album rules, too. That's part of what makes it so death metal, along with the production on the album. It has very cool production, kind of like Under the Sign of The Black Mark by Bathory.

I've also seen an increasing number of people referring to Bathory as thrash. They are black metal, not thrash metal, but they did incorporate some thrash elements on their first album. They are pure black/"Viking metal."
                They are still worth mention on any thrash/death/black metal thread, no matter what subgenre they are.
                You tried to suppress me
                I come around

Comment

Second tier? Like second wave black metal, but for thrash metal. I'm guessing this is 2000s thrash, as thrash made a huge decline in popularity in the 90s.

Or, does that mean not in the big four.

I'm bored right now, so I'm going to make chart for theirs.

1st their:

Megadeth
                  Metallica
                  Anthrax
                  Slayer

Second tier:

Exodus
                  Testament
                  Overkill
                  Kreator
                  Sodom
                  Tankkard
                  Destruction

Third tier:

Morbid Saint
                  Death Angle
                  Fueled by Fire
                  I think what Thel meant by second tier is that they're not quite A grade or Gold standard musically. Still decent none the less but just not at the level of others. Btw Those bands you named as second tier are all A-Grade thrash or first tier bands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
                    I think what Thel meant by second tier is that they're not quite A grade or Gold standard musically. Still decent none the less but just not at the level of others. Btw Those bands you named as second tier are all A-Grade thrash or first tier bands.
                    I thought it was more about popularity, which is kind of irrelevant.
                    I wasn't insulting any of those bands, what I meant is that a band like Fueled by Fire is no where near as famous as a band like Metallica. Fueled by Fire isn't really famous at all, though. They are okay, they are like Anthrax, but sillier.
                    You tried to suppress me
                    I come around

Comment

I thought it was more about popularity, which is kind of irrelevant.
                      I wasn't insulting any of those bands, what I meant is that a band like Fueled by Fire is no where near as famous as a band like Metallica. Fueled by Fire isn't really famous at all, though. They are okay, they are like Anthrax, but sillier.
                      Yeah popularity is mostly irrelevant. I think originality & musicality is the overriding thing that sets them apart and separated the wheat from the chaff so to speak. A lot of the thrash bands that followed the first wave of American and German/UK thrash kinda got lumped in together as they mostly all sounded similar to one another, which in turn made them sound generic & inferior/B-grade/Second tier.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
                        Yeah popularity is mostly irrelevant. I think originality & musicality is the overriding thing that sets them apart and separated the wheat from the chaff so to speak. A lot of the thrash bands that followed the first wave of American and German/UK thrash kinda got lumped in together as they mostly all sounded similar to one another, which in turn made them sound generic & inferior/B-grade/Second tier.

I'm doing marching band at my high school, and it really pisses me off that we don't play any not popular songs.

Some of the stuff, like Smoke on the Water, and Final Countdown are good metal songs, but the rest is this lame pop, with a mix of cliche disco and funk added. We basically get to play the cliches.

I think the school suffers from close mindedness.
                        You tried to suppress me
                        I come around

Comment

Comment

Or try this Iron Wizard or any other Thrash fans unfamiliar with Razor

Comment

I am currently listening to the Thrash masterpiece that is ...And Justice For All. Metallica were the epitome of Thrash Metal. Oh how I miss those great old days.

Comment

I am currently listening to the Thrash masterpiece that is ...And Justice For All. Metallica were the epitome of Thrash Metal. Oh how I miss those great old days.

To me, ...And Justice For All is the thrashiest thrash metal album, because of all of its stop-start rhythms. It's not the fastest though. It is one of my favorite thrash metal albums.
                                You tried to suppress me
                                I come around

Comment

Working...
                                X