Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Thread for thrash metal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thread for thrash metal

    Random thrash metal discussions.
    You tried to suppress me
    But nothing holds me down
    Just when you think you're happy
    I come around

  • #2
    Metallica vs Megadeth
    Anthrax vs Slayer
    Exodus vs Testament
    Overkill vs Venom
    Who is the overall best and who is the best of each group.
    You tried to suppress me
    But nothing holds me down
    Just when you think you're happy
    I come around

    Comment


    • #3
      Metallica vs Megadeth is like trying to decide which is my preferred method of achieving orgasm. I like 'em both. I like 'em all. Megadeth by a small margin.
      Anthrax vs Slayer. Slayer.
      Exodus vs Testament. Exodus.
      Overkill vs. Venom. Overkill by a fairly sizable margin. I liked the recent releases Ironbound and Electric Age but was somewhat underwhelmed (so far) by White Devil Armory.

      So long as we're talking thrash...
      My personal favorite is Vio-Lence Eternal Nightmare. I also like the follow-up album Oppressing The Masses.
      Also I like Artillery's By Inheritance, Annihilator's Alice In Hell and Never, Neverland, the first 5 Metal Church albums, Testament's first two albums, and Flotsam & Jetsam (particularly the first two albums).

      Just to name a few to keep you busy for a couple days. :-)
      How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
      --Benjamin Franklin

      Comment


      • #4
        Im fond of many thrash/speed metal bands, mainly from the 80's. Like Franklin, Vio-Lence is my favorite Thrash band if not my all time favorite Bay Area Metal band period. They had fury, very precise musicianship, catchy hooks, a (sometimes sick) sense of humor, and they didnt just sound like another Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Venom etc. Sean Killian has a very unique voice for metal. He irritated some people to no end. I can remember reading reviews saying "they'd be a great band if they only got a real thrash vocalist." I suppose Sean had a perfect voice for a punk band. But he also had this menacing stage presence that you had to see to really get. Anyway I always look to what sounds unique and stands out from the pack; so Vio-Lence delivered that in spades.

        Since (I probably talk about too often whenever thrash is brought up here) I grew up in the S.F. Bay area right as Thrash was exploding. Most of the bands that came from (Or moved to in the case of Metallica & DRI) S.F. are on my list of favz. Exodus, Death Angel, Forbidden Evil (Later forbidden), Testament, the death metal band Possessed (who played local shows with pretty much all thrash bands), and the more underground acts like Blind Illusion, Epidemic, and Heathen.. were all great.

        Aside from those I do like various Slayer, Anthrax & Megadeth a lot. But again I look more to the bands that really stood out to me in one way or another. So I like Nuclear Assault, Sacred Reich, Sodom, Realm, VOIVOD!!, S.O.D./M.O.D., Dark Angel, Prong, Flotsam & Jetsam(featuring a future Metallica bass player) Cro Mags, Helstar, Forced Entry, Ludichrist, Metal Church, At War, Sodom, Sabbat, Crumbsuckers, Watchtower, Sepultura, Hades, and especially a little known L.A. act called Holy Terror who blew me absolutely away at a show with DRI in 1988. I literally swapped E-mails with my friends (who were there with me) just last week talking about how fucking amazing those guys were that night.
        Anyway Wizard heres my answers to your questions:

        Metallica vs Megadeth - both have great early albums, and both kind of crashed creatively sooner then I'd hoped. I'll say Megadeth seemed to rise from the ashes pretty gracefully with some of the songs on System has Failed & United Abominations 10 years ago vs. the repeated disappointments Metallica has delivered since ..And Justice for All, lasting to Death Magnetic. So I lean just a little more on the side of Mega, but only a little. Both have sucked longer then they were great in my opinion. But when they were great they were absolutely unstoppable. So Killing is my Bus, Peace Sells, Kill Em All, Lightning, Puppets. = all masterpieces.

        Anthrax vs Slayer - Slayer by a long shot.. Anthrax started out great & disappointed me more & more as years have gone by. But Slayer isnt perfect either. These days I wish both would just stop.

        Exodus vs Testament - Neither one have a consistent track record. Both have strong starts, and great albums here n there through the years, but its pretty much a tie to me. 4, or 5 decent albums from either. And Ive seen great shows from both, and mediocre shows from both.

        Overkill vs Venom - I cant seem to get into more then one or two Overkill albums (definitely like Taking Over). But then again Venom went from kinda cool to cheesy in record time. So I cant really pick one vs. the other.

        Who is the overall best and who is the best of each group. There's no ultimate best for me. I mean I love Vio-Lence & Holy Terror but that doesnt mean that Reign in Blood, or Master Of Puppets is a piece of shit either. Im just glad it all came out and I got to grow & be influenced by it all. So many great bands & fantastic times that I still experience now & then.
        The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

        Comment


        • #5
          Slayer
          Gehennah (black/thrash band who released "Hardrocker" and "King of the Sidewalk")
          Artillery
          Coroner
          Sodom
          Venom
          Vektor
          Kreator
          Vio-Lence
          Sarcofago

          Top ten thrash bands tbh, in order. I adore them.
          Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

          Comment


          • #6
            I shouldn't have put Venom there.

            They aren't thrash metal really.
            They are black metal(first wave).
            You tried to suppress me
            But nothing holds me down
            Just when you think you're happy
            I come around

            Comment


            • #7
              Musically they are thrash though.

              First wave black metal is an ideal moreso than a musical aesthetic.
              Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
                Musically they are thrash though.

                First wave black metal is an ideal moreso than a musical aesthetic.
                You' re a massive fan of Black Metal . Respect , but :
                Venom IS the real first band of Black Metal, followed closely by Hellhammer and Bathory. No Proto Black or other crap like that , not thrash .
                we were already doing the difference in '83 , when the Bay aera band were born .
                The first Black Metal geniuses ARE Cronos, Mantas, Tom G. Warrior, Martin Eric Ain , Quorthon.
                plain and simple.
                Those who knew Venom early in their career, know what I mean in terms of impact in the world of Metal and ultra negative reactions from some media, especially here in France.
                The talented Norwegian wave will come after, only after, and redefine the musical genre ( thanx Hellhammer 3 first demos ) . that's OK .
                Do not categorize things retrospectively.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Idealogically, they are black metal, yes. But musically they are thrash.

                  As I stated before, first wave black metal does not have a unified sound, it piggybacks off of other metal genres; I'm not retrspectively categorizing it, I'm simply actually listening to the sound.

                  That would be like saying Sodom is black metal. It may be first wave BM, but musically they ARE thrash. Yeah, In The Sign of Evil is first wave black metal, but again, first wave black metal piggybacks off of other metal genres.

                  First wave BM is an ideal, not a unified musical aesthetic.
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bill Scruggs; 03-05-2015, 12:24 PM.
                  Black metal > Whatever you like, sorry. *shrugs*

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Buffalo Bill Scruggs View Post
                    Idealogically, they are black metal, yes. But musically they are thrash.

                    As I stated before, first wave black metal does not have a unified sound, it piggybacks off of other metal genres; I'm not retrspectively categorizing it, I'm simply actually listening to the sound.

                    That would be like saying Sodom is black metal. It may be first wave BM, but musically they ARE thrash. Yeah, In The Sign of Evil is first wave black metal, but again, first wave black metal piggybacks off of other metal genres.

                    First wave BM is an ideal, not a unified musical aesthetic.
                    Don't have such strong opinions about topics you don't quite understand, little friend. As Tyr said; Venom, Hellhammer and Bathory were all pre Thrash, and a big influence on the genre. With these three being the first extreme metal you can't say they're "piggybacking" on other genres, atleast not more than what's usual in musical evolution. Least of all Thrash, as Thrash rather were inspired by these early Extreme/BM bands.
                    Homogenious in sound? Not at all by todays standards, esp. after the Norwegian wave setting new sonic standards, but at the time they were unified in that noone else were doing things in such an extreme way.

                    And comparing Sodom with the first wave is just totally ahistorical. They were a trough & true Thrash band. Though they were a big influence on the second (Norwegian) wave, they were in no way first wave BM.


                    Also, to supplement Tyrs great post, i'd like to mention Mayhem as the natural link between the first and second wave.
                    Last edited by Billy Underdog; 03-05-2015, 03:04 PM.
                    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TYR66 View Post
                      You' re a massive fan of Black Metal . Respect , but :
                      Venom IS the real first band of Black Metal, followed closely by Hellhammer and Bathory. No Proto Black or other crap like that , not thrash .
                      we were already doing the difference in '83 , when the Bay aera band were born .
                      The first Black Metal geniuses ARE Cronos, Mantas, Tom G. Warrior, Martin Eric Ain , Quorthon.
                      plain and simple.
                      Those who knew Venom early in their career, know what I mean in terms of impact in the world of Metal and ultra negative reactions from some media, especially here in France.
                      The talented Norwegian wave will come after, only after, and redefine the musical genre ( thanx Hellhammer 3 first demos ) . that's OK .
                      Do not categorize things retrospectively.
                      Great post TYR66!!
                      Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There are multiple waves of black metal:

                        First Wave:



                        Venom
                        Celtic Frost(also early death metal)
                        Bathory
                        Hellhammer

                        The first wave of black metal started in the very early 80s with Venom.

                        It ended in the late 80s with Bathory.


                        Second wave:


                        Immortal
                        Mayhem
                        Gorgoroth
                        Burzum

                        Are a few examples.

                        This started in the late 80s and early 90s.

                        Now, there is the post-second wave, which is the same thing as the second wave, but more modern.


                        These bands are the same as the second wave bands.

                        The albums that second wave bands release now could be called post-second wave.


                        The main difference between all of the waves of black metal is time.

                        Musically, there are a few differences.

                        Also the image is different.

                        First wave:



                        Black shirts
                        Jeans
                        Bullet belts
                        Leather and Spikes





                        Second wave:

                        Corpse paint
                        Black clothes
                        Bullet belts
                        12 inch long spikes




                        They all carry the name Black Metal.
                        They are all black metal, no matter what wave they are in.

                        I would even consider Merciful Fate to be a black metal band.
                        You tried to suppress me
                        But nothing holds me down
                        Just when you think you're happy
                        I come around

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
                          There are multiple waves of black metal:

                          First Wave:



                          Venom
                          Celtic Frost(also early death metal)
                          Bathory
                          Hellhammer

                          The first wave of black metal started in the very early 80s with Venom.

                          It ended in the late 80s with Bathory.


                          Second wave:


                          Immortal
                          Mayhem
                          Gorgoroth
                          Burzum
                          By the late 80's Bathory were more a viking metal band than a BM band. But what about Sarcófago, Tormentor and Bulldozer? All mid to late 80's first wave BM... And once again i must stress how Mayhem, having started in 84 and releasing their first album in 87, stricktly belongs as much in the first wave as the second...
                          Last edited by Billy Underdog; 03-06-2015, 12:13 AM.
                          95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                          Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Bathory did turn into a Viking metal band in 1988, but Under the Sign of the Black Mark was a black metal album.
                            You tried to suppress me
                            But nothing holds me down
                            Just when you think you're happy
                            I come around

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
                              Bathory did turn into a Viking metal band in 1988, but Under the Sign of the Black Mark was a black metal album.
                              Yeah, as i said; late 80's...

                              Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
                              But what about Sarcófago, Tormentor and Bulldozer? All mid to late 80's first wave BM... And once again i must stress how Mayhem, having started in 84 and releasing their first album in 87, stricktly belongs as much in the first wave as the second...
                              You didn't reply to that one, though...
                              95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                              Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X