Blackmore Announces First Rock Concerts for 20 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oh lord yeah! View Post
    hendrix changed the guitar like EVH did. hendrix was superb and was obviously one of the most influential guitarists that ever lived but he weren't as good as blackmore. blackmore rated hendrix but even he said he weren't a great player, meaning he was good but not great. to me hendrix was great but to someone who is as trained as blackmore is on the guitar he saw something most people never.
    Agree the 2 most influential were Hendrix and EVH... they changed the way rock guitar was played. Blackmore was better technically than Hendrix but Hendrix was an artist who painted more of the landscape than Blackmore. Jimi was also a great song writer underrated actually.
    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Comment

i agree. mr iommi is also up there in terms of influence.

Comment

Originally posted by oh lord yeah! View Post
        i agree. mr iommi is also up there in terms of influence.
        No question about that. Tony actually invented a genre that today is still aspired to called Heavy Metal... not many artists can make that claim or be given credit for that.
        "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
        R. Blackmore

Comment

Got tickets for his show in Birmingham next June after missing out this year on tickets.

Comment

So Richie Blackmores Rainbow have decided to release a 2 CD set of their Birmingham 2016 show, due for release 7th June.

It looks like an interesting set list, I don't know if it will be any good or not!

Planet Rock Article
            My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
              So Richie Blackmores Rainbow have decided to release a 2 CD set of their Birmingham 2016 show, due for release 7th June.

It looks like an interesting set list, I don't know if it will be any good or not!

Planet Rock Article

Based on the lackluster preformances on youtube I most certainly won't be buying that!

Comment

I doubt I'll be picking this up as well...

Terribly mundane performance... Watching this only makes me appreciate Steve Morse and current day DP so much more... Not even sure I'd fork out the dollars to catch Ritchie & his band of 2nd rate musicians(albeit the singer has a good set of pipes on him) if they toured out my way. I'd rather just cling to the memory of seeing Ritchie my one & only time with DP MK2 in 1984.

Comment

I bought the Bluray/DVD/2CD package, because the latest live release from rocking RB is from 1995 and I wanted to have this as a closure and final legacy.
                  "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Blackmore really muddied the water with so many "Rainbows". The original band was sooo well original sounding and then he slowly or not so slowly morphed Rainbow into a 2nd string Foreigner. Commercially it made $ense but from an artistic standpoint it was pretty mundane even for Blackmore. I don't like the singer he brought on for this reunion 10 yrs too late and the rest of the band doesn't add up.
                    R. Blackmore

Comment

They do sound very lame but I'm still looking forward to the gig. I've got a feeling I'm going to be disappointed though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
                        I doubt I'll be picking this up as well...

Terribly mundane performance... Watching this only makes me appreciate Steve Morse and current day DP so much more... Not even sure I'd fork out the dollars to catch Ritchie & his band of 2nd rate musicians(albeit the singer has a good set of pipes on him) if they toured out my way. I'd rather just cling to the memory of seeing Ritchie my one & only time with DP MK2 in 1984.
                        I agree... I got to 2:55 and was kinda shocked only that much time had passed. It's a very muted performance and I wondered, "Well, is this Blackmore trying to take this song in a different direction?" but the singer screaming his head off at parts said, "No, they're *trying* to rock this one out... and just not getting there..."

Comment

Compare what Blackmore put together with what ol' Davy C. hath wrought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJGsFoS0zWw

*THESE* guys are playing like they want to be there!

Glenn Hughes also puts in his best effort in a tribute to Jon Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_drspegRrA

Even though the guitar is all but missing in that video, I'm amazed at how Glenn's still hitting those high notes. Just amazing. But, yeah, that performance and Coverdale's are those of bands that are really together and doing their all.

I checked out a video of the new Rainbow, er, Blackmore's Rainbow, let's remember the branding... at Monsters of Rock Loreley... same basic problem as in the other videos: the band just doesn't do it together. They sound competent, not great. I hate to say it, but the performances really reminded me of Rod Evans' 1980 ripoff of Deep Purple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYuLwQMB7h4

Comment

Originally posted by zzzptm View Post
                            I hate to say it, but the performances really reminded me of Rod Evans' 1980 ripoff of Deep Purple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYuLwQMB7h4
                            Awful!

Comment

There is no Rainbow without Ronnie, Ritchie might as well have done the Rainbow stint with Candice.
                              "They tell you black is really white the moon is just the sun at night and when you walk in golden halls you get to keep the gold that falls, it's heaven and hell"
                              ~ Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Gonna quote myself from the other Rainbow thread on the Side/Solo & Related section:

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                                The band sounds really lifeless on those takes, even the usually awe-inspiring Johansson is lacking something. Romero is great, but the rest of the band sounds like a jazz band trying to play hard rock. Blackmore's tone isn't fit for the material, way too clean and lacks all the punch. Everyone is playing all the correct notes without any mistakes, but the whole thing just lacks the gusto necessary to bring this material to life.

Just compare it all to this. THIS was a band firing on all cylinders. Dare I say it, the best live act among Hard Rock bands of the 70's:

Would be interesting to hear RJD's and Cozy's reaction to this incarnation of Rainbow were they still alive...I was expeting so much more out of this project.
                                I can't fathom how that rhythm section manages to sound so small.
                                Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 06-05-2017, 11:58 AM.
                                "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                                "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                                "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Working...
                                X