Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Blackmore Announces First Rock Concerts for 20 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackmore Announces First Rock Concerts for 20 Years

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ritch...rock-concerts/

Ritchie Blackmore will play a quartet of rock-focused shows in Europe next year, returning to the genre that hurtled him to fame after being away from it for nearly 20 years. Members of his celebrated former bands are also slated to participate, says the guitarist.

“I am doing four dates in June, which will be all rock,” Blackmore tells Noisey. “I have the band basically together and it will be [the best of] Rainbow and Deep Purple.” Blackmore didn’t confirm which former bandmates will participate, though Joe Lynn Turner has already suggested he could be involved. David Coverdale has also previously approached Blackmore about working together again.

Ritchie Blackmore has co-led Blackmore’s Night, a traditional folk band, with his wife, Candice Night, since 1997. And that’s where he’ll be returning after these one-off rock shows are completed. “It’s just having fun, but it’s only four dates in Europe,” he noted. “I don’t want to do anymore because I take what I’m doing now much more seriously.” Blackmore’s Night will release a new album, All Our Yesterdays, on Sept. 18.

For those of you keeping score, Coverdale played with Blackmore in Deep Purple from 1973-75. Turner joined Blackmore in Rainbow from 1980-84, and was then in Deep Purple from 1989-92. Blackmore led Deep Purple from 1968-75 and then again from 1984-93; stints in Rainbow followed both times, in 1975-84, and then in 1993-97.
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

This is fantastic news, hopefully Ritchie enjoys it enough to add more dates and eventually go worldwide with it. Will be interesting to see which singer(s) he decides on. I mentioned previously in the strange lack of Rainbow talk thread that Russell Allen & Joe Retta would be great & inspired choices. Both would do justice to singing the Purple & Rainbow stuff and would be much better than getting a couple of over the hill singers like JLT & David Coverdale.

Comment

Heard about this few months ago already...

In that interview Ritchie also confirmed he will NOT be working with Joe Lynn Turner (thank god) again so he's out...

I hope he'd go with a new singer...someone that could do justice to both Ian's and Ronnie's stuff...Coverdale can't and Turner most certainly can't...Doogie White wasn't too bad, but not really to my liking either.

He could also go with multiple singers...one for Ian's stuff, one for Coverdale's stuff and one for Ronnie's stuff.

Comment

For me, this will all depend on who else is in the band...
        Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

Comment

Best thing would ofcourse've been having Ian Paice, Roger Glover and Ian Gillan. Ofcourse that wouldn't happen for obvious reasons. All four of them would be "Purple light". Everything with Blackmore and Gillan would be considered Purple light, just as Plant/Page became light Zeppelin (damn vocalists and lead guitarist... ). Also, i wouldn't count on them being on talking terms, and Gillan would never do Rainbow, not even Coverdale-Purple.
          Having Paice there too would've made for too much of a light Purple, but as Glover was involved in both, i think he belong on those shows.

Out of those mentioned or othervise related i'd guess Coverdale would be the man for the job. But he'll probably go for (more or less) "unknowns"...

Edit: Unknowns he can dictate to his own fashion...

Edit 2: Quartet? What about Keyboards..? Pretty essential in both Purple and Rainbow. Is he trying to make some "back to basics" statement or something..? Is he planning on doing the vocals himself..?
          Last edited by Billy Underdog; 09-09-2015, 02:09 PM.
          95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
          Til árs ok friđar ok forn siđr

Comment

Here's your unknown guy Billy, Joe Retta. Ritchie could do a lot worse than recruit him. Would be great at doing both the Rainbow & Purple stuff. He sings in a band called Heaven & Earth.

Comment

Mistreated

Comment

Russell Allen from Symphony X & Adrenaline Mob also does a great Dio

Comment

Great news, glad to see he's doing some rock dates, those if us who follow Blackmore's Night can attest to his musicla chops being as good or better than ever... love him or hate him, The Man In Black is a guitar genius hero to many including myself...
                  "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                  R. Blackmore

Comment

Well now it's confirmed Ritchie will be preforming with a new singer..

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rit...ng-rock-shows/

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                      Well now it's confirmed Ritchie will be preforming with a new singer..

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rit...ng-rock-shows/
                      Well that's interesting. Ritchie says the new singer is a cross between Dio & Freddie Mercury.. ^^My man Joe Retta used to sing in a Queen tribute band a well as Holy Diver a Dio tribute band.

Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
                        Well that's interesting. Ritchie says the new singer is a cross between Dio & Freddie Mercury.. ^^My man Joe Retta used to sing in a Queen tribute band a well as Holy Diver a Dio tribute band.

Hmmm...
                        Joe Retta would be perfect for these Blackmore gigs!!! Those Rainbow songs are so good!

I like how the one camera stays in one place and captures the whole band instead of these live "professionally shot and edited" concert dvd's that make you sick because they show a new camera angle every second!!

Comment

Originally posted by thewizard View Post
                          Joe Retta would be perfect for these Blackmore gigs!!! Those Rainbow songs are so good!
                          Agree man, the guys a talent.

Here's him in Queen Nation doing his best Freddie Mercury impersonation

Comment

This Joe Retta guy can sing, I never heard of him till now.
                            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                            ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

I much prefer Rainbow to Purple. I don't like the other Rainbow singers either, but since I won't get to see them I don't really care who's singing ...

Comment

Working...
                              X