Band Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band Recommendations

This sounds like a good idea- post lesser known bands that you like, along with a short description of them, just to introduce others to new bands.

Wolfchant- a badass German folk metal band.

You tried to suppress me
    But nothing holds me down
    Just when you think you're happy
    I come around

Blue Oyster Cult

If you're into Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and the 70's "heavy metal" bands.

Had a strong run through the 70's till early 80's.

Heavy, blues boogie through to doo wop.

The thinking man's "metal" band.

Comment

Wo Fat - chunky style stoner jams from Dallas, Tx. Start with "Riffborn" from their latest and then check out "Lost Highway" from The Black Code

Master (as in Мастер) - Great Russian heavy metal, like Anthrax met Nuclear Assault and then hid from the NSA in Moscow. Try "Bulldozer" (Бульдозер). Yes, it's in Russian. Turns out, you can totally rock out in Russian, even if you don't speak it!

And, if you haven't tried them out yet... DEEP PURPLE. What are you waiting for, kid? Just ask your old man, he'll tell you it's good stuff! Just watch out for the Mk2 re-re-reunion, it's kinda patchy there. And I wouldn't start with Bananas, either. Get you Machine Head, Purpendicular, or a greatest hits collection and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
        Blue Oyster Cult

If you're into Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and the 70's "heavy metal" bands.

Had a strong run through the 70's till early 80's.

Heavy, blues boogie through to doo wop.

The thinking man's "metal" band.
        I love Blue Oyster Cult. They write such powerful songs.
        You tried to suppress me
        I come around

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
          I love Blue Oyster Cult. They write such powerful songs.
          Awesome!
          I commend you.

One thing that was great about them (like 70's KISS) was that four out of five guys in the band would could sing lead, and they all wrote- so you get a real nice variety.
          A terribly underrated band.

Comment

A word of caution on Blue Oyster Cult lyrics... don't try too hard to understand them. If they're using a word that you don't understand, don't go looking it up. It'll really twist up that song for you... I was once cautioned by one who knew better and I had to be hard-headed and go find out... if I had only heeded his caution!

Best BOC: Tyranny and Mutation / Secret Treaties... and if you buy the MP3s, go to a used vinyl place and pick up the album covers so you can stare at them on your beanbag chair while you jam out and relive the "child of the seventies" experience.

Comment

Sleep-Holy Mountain
              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
              ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Riot - I've posted about them before but their first 3 LP's with Guy Speranza on vocals (Rock City, Narita, Fire Down Under)are pure classics - the later LP's all have some great stuff on it especially the Tony Moore & Rhett Forester Eras.

Guy Speranza on Vocals

Swords & Tequila - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JruuMkV0gM
                Road Racing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIZ-bxN9qrc

Rhett Forrester on Vocals

Restless Breed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-VaKqxPeL4
                When I was Young - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI5-FORTo-w

Tony Moore on Vocals

Thundersteel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUysqemMmg
                Storming the Gates of Hell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka7JZ4AdcI0

After the death of Mark Reale they have continued under the name Riot V - definitely check them out
                At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

Iced Earth - The Dark Saga Album, based on Comic Book Character Spawn... kind of, Album Art looks total Badass though lol

Comment

Superjoint Ritual.
                    You tried to suppress me
                    I come around

Comment

Orange Goblin

Comment

Bump, this thread died rather quickly. Any Al Jorgensen fans here? Ministry, Revolting Cocks etc?

Comment

Originally posted by zzzptm View Post
                          Orange Goblin
                          Orange Goblin is a great band, I can hear a lot of Sabbath in their music, I recommend them.
                          "They tell you black is really white the moon is just the sun at night and when you walk in golden halls you get to keep the gold that falls, it's heaven and hell"
                          ~ Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Exodus - Thrash metal pioneers from San Francisco.

Btw - thanks for bumping this thread, revbob.

Ted
                            Black Sabbath cannot exist without these Individuals in the lineup: Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Ozzy Osbourne or Ronnie James Dio or Ian Gillan.

Comment

Sure thing Ted, trying to feel my way around the board without stirring up any shit. Im gonna advocate for brother Wayne Kramer of MC5 fame. He released some great albums in the 90s. Check out the album The Hard Stuff its a rock n roll ass kicking

Comment

Working...
                              X