Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Judas Priest album should I get next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    Not unless you're into Mindless Metal.

Hmmm... I seem to remember having a conversation with you on this in the past http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...ed-be-thy-Name

Jugulator is a fantastic album and every Priest fan should give it a go....if for no other reason than Tim's insane vocal preformance.

Ah yes....I did not remember that....

Comment

I'd say Jugulator.
      You tried to suppress me
      But nothing holds me down
      Just when you think you're happy
      I come around

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
        I'd say Jugulator.
        Priest without Halford seems like GNR without Axl or Queen without Freddy. I'm sure I'll give Jugulator a go at some stage, but whether or not it'll ever seem like a genuine Priest record to me is doubtful.

I know that may seem like a strange thing to say on a Sabbath board of all places - considering the amount of lead singers BS have had - but to me, Sabbath was one of the only bands I can think of where the lead guitarist was more vital to the overall sound of the band than the lead singer. In Priest, Halford is too important to the overarching sound of the band to be replaced imo.
        Last edited by Towelie; 06-25-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Towelie View Post
          Priest without Halford seems like GNR without Axl or Queen without Freddy. I'm sure I'll give Jugulator a go at some stage, but whether or not it'll ever seem like a genuine Priest record to me is doubtful.

I know that may seem like a strange thing to say on a Sabbath board of all places - considering the amount of lead singers BS have had - but to me, Sabbath was one of the only bands I can think of where the lead guitarist was more vital to the overall sound of the band than the lead singer. In Priest, Halford is too important to the overarching sound of the band to be replaced imo.
          I don't like Jugulator or Demolition at all. Judas Priest could have easily found a much better singer. A lot of people like Tim Owens but to me Tim Owens is too one dimensional... too montonous!!! Tim Owens has zero Creativity and Uniqueness compared to Halford. Also I am not sure if Glenn Tipton and KK Downing play any guitar solos in Jugulator and Demoltion songs and if they did I don't remember any of them.

Judas Priest was a totally different band with Tim Owens.

Comment

Originally posted by thewizard View Post
            I don't like Jugulator or Demolition at all. Judas Priest could have easily found a much better singer. A lot of people like Tim Owens but to me Tim Owens is too one dimensional... too montonous!!! Tim Owens has zero Creativity and Uniqueness compared to Halford. Also I am not sure if Glenn Tipton and KK Downing play any guitar solos in Jugulator and Demoltion songs and if they did I don't remember any of them.

Judas Priest was a totally different band with Tim Owens.
            I agree, the most disappointing thing about those albums was that they seemed to abandoned their roots and most of their trademark sound in favour of a thrash/groove/Nu metal sound and it just didn't work for me, not to mention the utterly terrible lyrics and muddled production that went with it.

Tim Owens can sing no doubt, but his voice lacks the character & sense of melody for a band like Priest. Also his Halford like high pitched screams sounded misplaced and forced, particularly on the Jugulator album.

I didnt mind the way he sung the classic songs though, thought he did a particularly good job on them, however, when I saw them live on the Demolition tour in a bar/nightclub type venue(which was sad in itself) he really lacked stage presence and failed in working the audience to help bring the room alive.

You're right about the guitar solo's, they're mostly unmemorable and lack that classiic Glenn & K.K. interplay and lead duelling that usually took the songs on a journey...Instead they opted for Slayer freak out type solo's.

Whenever I put either of those albums on these days I'm doing well if I last 3 or 4 songs.
            Last edited by Jack the Stripper; 06-26-2017, 04:49 AM. Reason: Spelling error.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
              the most disappointing thing about those albums was that they seemed to abandoned their roots and most of their trademark sound in favour of a thrash/groove/Nu metal sound and it just didn't work for me, not to mention the utterly terrible lyrics and muddled production that went with it.
              Yes,those two albums contains only junk songs.

Comment

Well, I've spent the last few days getting to know Point of Entry. At first I was a little underwhelmed, but it's a definite grower.

First half is a lot stronger than the second half, but Desert Plains, Solar Angels and Heading Out To The Highway are all fantastic tracks and definitely essential listening for any Priest fan and are in heavy rotation on my iPod at the moment.

Comment

Yes,Solar Angels is my favorite on that album.

Comment

Originally posted by Towelie View Post
                    Okay, I've been into the Priest for years, and have all the classics like British Steel, Screaming For Vengeance and Painkiller etc. I've been listening to them a lot lately and am looking to fill in some of the gaps in my Priest collection.

I currently do not own and have never heard:
                    Rocka Rolla
                    Sin After Sin
                    Point of Entry
                    Ram It Down
                    Jugulator
                    Demolition

Which album should I get next?
                    I'd rank them like this:

Sin After Sin
                    Point of Entry
                    Jugulator
                    Rocka Rolla
                    Ram It Down
                    Demolition

Comment

IŽd rank them like this:

Sin After Sin
                      Point of Entry
                      Rocka Rolla
                      Ram It Down
                      Jugulator
                      Demolition

Comment

There was only one Judas Priest album and that has to be the 1978 classic Stained Class - great memories of youth!

Comment

Working...
                        X