Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Pagan Altar

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pagan Altar

    Cant believe there has never been a thread about them specifically. I know many talk about them when talking about Doom Metal but this band is just something else. There new and last album is out and I just purchased it. I have loved this band since 2004 when Lords of Hypocrisy came out. Definitely a classic Sabbath inspired band but they do their own thing and should not be compared. They have been around since 1978 but their history is complicated and unfortunate if you know their story. Most of their material never got released until the 2000's. I am assuming the band will be on indefinite hiatus due to the death of Terry Jones a few years back. Anyways, I am pretty sure if you love Sabbath or metal/rock in general,you will love this band. Check them out if you have not already!

    https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Pagan_Altar/1139

  • #2
    For all intents and purposes, PA has most likely been laid to rest, with the release of 'The Room of Shadows' being a most fitting epitaph, IMO.
    The remaining members are doing one last live show (with the vocalist of Magic Circle filling in for Terry), under the moniker of 'Time Lord', as a release party for the new album, and a celebration of PA itself.

    Alan has said he's been writing, though. So I don't think he's done, musically. It's possible that he'll do something with the remaining members, as he's been writing with the bassist.
    If you've not heard it, 'The Room of Shadows' is great. Easily stands up to their discography.

    Finally, Terry is deeply missed. He's one of those one of a kind vocalists, with his idiosyncratic vocals and uncanny knack for weaving, and drawing the listener into stories. Alan's prodigious guitar ability was the perfect complement.

    Thanks for the post. Hadn't realised myself that they'd never had their own thread.
    Last edited by SweetSymptom; 08-30-2017, 03:58 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have "Judgement Of The Dead". I like it but am not familiar with their later work. Looks like there is a track called "After Forever" on their latest album. Cover?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ozzyandharriet View Post
        I have "Judgement Of The Dead". I like it but am not familiar with their later work. Looks like there is a track called "After Forever" on their latest album. Cover?
        Not a cover. It's a very short track with clean guitar and a little bit of vocals. It is actually quite a nice little track.
        Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

        Comment


        • #5
          Been trying to get Volume 1, but it’s near impossible and the copies they do have are too expensive, great band though, love the vocals.
          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
          ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
            Been trying to get Volume 1, but it’s near impossible and the copies they do have are too expensive, great band though, love the vocals.
            Personally I would ignore getting Volume 1, the album known as Judgment of the Dead is the exact same thing, but far easier to find, as well as remastered.
            Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Icy Sun View Post
              Personally I would ignore getting Volume 1, the album known as Judgment of the Dead is the exact same thing, but far easier to find, as well as remastered.
              Thanks for the info Icy Sun, I donít see that album listed on their discography, I will look for it.

              What do you think about Lords of Hypocrisy album?
              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
              ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                Thanks for the info Icy Sun, I don’t see that album listed on their discography, I will look for it.

                What do you think about Lords of Hypocrisy album?
                Lords of Hypocrisy is definitely a good album, but one of theirs I've listened to the least.
                Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Icy Sun View Post
                  Lords of Hypocrisy is definitely a good album, but one of theirs I've listened to the least.
                  I just bought Judgment of the Dead album, the music is great, 70's sounding, love it, but the vocals sound low in the mix, hard to understand what Terry is singing.

                  Which of their albums do you recommend I get next Icy Sun?
                  "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                  "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                  ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Mythical and Magical

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                      I just bought Judgment of the Dead album, the music is great, 70's sounding, love it, but the vocals sound low in the mix, hard to understand what Terry is singing.

                      Which of their albums do you recommend I get next Icy Sun?
                      Personally I would say Lords of Hypocrisy, but Mythical & Magical seems to be the fan favorite.
                      Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You can't go wrong with any of their albums OID, no matter the order you pick them up in. 'Time Lord' and 'Mythical and Magical' will be reissued soon, following on the heels of the recent 'Judgement of the Dead' and 'Lords of Hypocrisy' reissues. Of course, their recent 'Room of Shadows' is still available.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
                          You can't go wrong with any of their albums OID, no matter the order you pick them up in. 'Time Lord' and 'Mythical and Magical' will be reissued soon, following on the heels of the recent 'Judgement of the Dead' and 'Lords of Hypocrisy' reissues. Of course, their recent 'Room of Shadows' is still available.
                          Thank you Sweet, always appreciate your help on things.

                          I actually went to Vintage Vinyl yesterday to get Lords Of Hypocrisy, they had it listed on their website, but I couldn't find it, so when I asked the store clerk and came out to help me look for it, but also couldn't find it, he said it was probably never taken out of inventory when the last one was purchased.

                          I'll checkout their website and see if it and the others are available for purchase.
                          Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 07-21-2019, 09:07 AM.
                          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                          ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X