• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Survey: the 5 most influential heavy metal bands

Yup, I agree with that too!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I find it interesting that so many people are saying Led Zeppelin. To be honest, outside of the realm of obvious Zep-copycat bands that popped up, I don't really see too many places where they really influenced metal music. Clearly they were great and a ton of people loved them, but I don't think they were really chiefly important to any particular metal movement or to metal as a whole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, maybe not as influencial as Deep Purple (who IMO is THE most influencial band in metal. Yep, more than Sabbath), but they were certainly influencial: groups like Whitesnake, Kingdom Come, Soundgarden, Van Halen, Stone Temple Pilots , Tesla, Incubus, Cinderella, have openly admited to be directed influenced by their favorite band, LZ.

"Dazed And Confused" was a pioneer in the folk/blues movement, "Whole Lotta Love" a thousand times copied psycodelic hymn... LZ are influencial (ok, not like DP), but they were monsters in the 70s and admired and copied by a lot of people.

Comment

El Lobo, I agree with you on a lot of that stuff. Obviously there were many popular bands over the years, Whitesnake the most prominent, with visible Zeppelin influences. All I'm saying is that, while Zep was influential, I don't think they deserve to be put in the same category as some of the other bands listed above who created or perfected entire genres of music.

Zeppelin had its share of copycats, but I think that over time the number of bands directly influenced by them has been severely thinned out while the influences of bands like Purple, Sabbath, and Priest still thrive today.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          I find it interesting that so many people are saying Led Zeppelin. To be honest, outside of the realm of obvious Zep-copycat bands that popped up, I don't really see too many places where they really influenced metal music. Clearly they were great and a ton of people loved them, but I don't think they were really chiefly important to any particular metal movement or to metal as a whole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, maybe not as influencial as Deep Purple (who IMO is THE most influencial band in metal. Yep, more than Sabbath), but they were certainly influencial: groups like Whitesnake, Kingdom Come, Soundgarden, Van Halen, Stone Temple Pilots , Tesla, Incubus, Cinderella, have openly admited to be directed influenced by their favorite band, LZ.

"Dazed And Confused" was a pioneer in the folk/blues movement, "Whole Lotta Love" a thousand times copied psycodelic hymn... LZ are influencial (ok, not like DP), but they were monsters in the 70s and admired and copied by a lot of people.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I guess this depends on what bands you consider metal. Most people would consider most of the bands you listed "hard rock" and not "metal". If you consider them metal, that's cool and I'm not going to dispute you, but in my mind none of those bands are metal.

Comment

I've always thought of Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath as the three most influential bands on heavy metal music. To make it five I'll add Iron Maiden and Slayer.
            >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
            SHIP ERTH THIS IS
            YR CPTIN SPEKING
            YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

I'm going to go out a limb here...

Black Sabbath
              Deep Purple (Both Purple and Sabbath had ultra-simple riffs that'd be imitated a lot IMO)
              Jimi Hendrix (Pretty much started it all)
              Rage Against the Machine (influenced more recent bands)
              Iron Maiden (although I don't like them, a lot of bands are definitely influenced by them)

Comment

I don't consider Led Zeppelin to be anywhere near metal. Since I write music and play guitar, and my style is influences by sabbath more than any other bands combines times 100, I can say that sabbath is the most influential. But Zeppelin influences me lyrically a lot. Maybe it the music isn't inspried by them, certainly some words are. Same with Pink Floyd, but that's a different matter.

Comment

I have the same list as Prezuiwf.

And Led Zeppelin, I don't think they were that influental. Of course they were and are hugely popular, but I don't hear that much Zep influence on metal bands. Lyrically maybe but not musically that much.
                  Don't care which God you follow, whose promises you swallow.

Comment

FJam, I was waiting for someone to say Rage Against the Machine! Those guys are incredibly influential as well.

Comment

BLACK SABBATH
                      DEEP PURPLE
                      RUSH
                      IRON MAIDEN
                      THIN LIZZY

without forgetting

Judas Priest
                      Wishbone Ash
                      Led Zeppelin
                      Jethro Tull
                      Metallica

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I have the same list as Prezuiwf.

And Led Zeppelin, I don't think they were that influental. Of course they were and are hugely popular, but I don't hear that much Zep influence on metal bands. Lyrically maybe but not musically that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimi page influenced many heavy metal guitarists

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimi page influenced many heavy metal guitarists

[/ QUOTE ]
                          So? Django Reinhardt influenced Tony Iommi. Does that make him an influential rock guitarist?
                          Do you want to encourage the Sabb Four to release a studio, demo, or official live version of "Scary Dreams" (the thus far unreleased song they debuted/performed live during their 2001 Ozzfest tour)? If so, consider becoming a fan of Scary Dreams on facebook by clicking the below link:

https://www.facebook.com/blacksabbathscarydreams

Comment

Yeah, but Zeppelin have probably influenced more Hard rock
                            bands, like The Cult, Kings of Leon, The Datsuns etc..

The only song that Zep did that was really Heavy Metal was
                            "The Immigrant Song" from Led Zep III...

and I'm a big Zep fan, I think they influenced people to play Guitar, bass and drums wether or not those people, like me, went on to play Heavy Metal is another story......

Comment

Black Sabbath
                              Led Zeppelin
                              Motorhead
                              Iron Maiden
                              Judas Priest

Comment

Black Sabbath
                                Metallica
                                Iron Maiden
                                Judas Priest
                                Pantera

Comment

Working...
                                X