Survey: the 5 most influential heavy metal bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survey: the 5 most influential heavy metal bands

Who would you say the most influential heavy metal bands are?

My top 5 would have to be:

Black Sabbath
    Metallica
    Tool
    Iron Maiden
    Ozzy (solo)
    Do you want to encourage the Sabb Four to release a studio, demo, or official live version of "Scary Dreams" (the thus far unreleased song they debuted/performed live during their 2001 Ozzfest tour)? If so, consider becoming a fan of Scary Dreams on facebook by clicking the below link:

https://www.facebook.com/blacksabbathscarydreams

Re: Survey: the 5 most influential heavy metal bands

In no particular order:

Black Sabbath
    Judas Priest
    Deep Purple
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden

To me, those 5 bands are almost definitively the most influential metal bands of all time. When you ask a metal band today of its influences, one of them will pop up nearly 100% of the time (unless you ask some shit band like Limp Bizkit or something that doesn't know what the hell they're doing). I would say that the first 3 are the most influential, and the other two somewhat lesser but still vital.

Comment

1- Black Sabbath
      2-Metallica
      3-Iron Maiden
      4-Led Zeppelin
      5-Deep Purple

I mix Hard Rock with Metal here!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        In no particular order:

Black Sabbath
        Judas Priest
        Deep Purple
        Metallica
        Iron Maiden

To me, those 5 bands are almost definitively the most influential metal bands of all time. When you ask a metal band today of its influences, one of them will pop up nearly 100% of the time (unless you ask some shit band like Limp Bizkit or something that doesn't know what the hell they're doing). I would say that the first 3 are the most influential, and the other two somewhat lesser but still vital.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES

I agree completely

Comment

Sabbath
          Zeppelin
          Metallica
          Slayer (as much as i hat eot admit it)
          Van Halen

Comment

Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath influenced almost everybody that came afterward, but they influenced different groups of people. Purple influenced the whole NWOBHM, Sabbath influenced more the whole black/doom/thrash generation and Zeppelin influenced the more "bluesy" generation of Metal. Then we have Maiden which influenced directly the new Power Metal movement. I would add Yngwie Malmsteen , who ***practically*** created the Neo-classical movement in Metal, So:

Deep Purple
            Led Zeppelin
            Black Sabbath
            Iron Maiden
            Yngwie malmsteen

Comment

Black Sabbath (They invented the genre, it doesn't get more influential than that)

Judas Priest

Metallica

Pantera (a huge influence on a lot of newer bands, pretty much every one of those new American metalcore acts I have heard had some Pantera in them. They were also the band which brought harsh vocals to the masses and made it standard in metal)

Motörhead (first band to combine metal with a raw punk rock edge. Something which would later become the corner stone of thrash metal and extreme metal in general. Some say that Priest is the second most influential band, but if it wasn't for Motörhead, then the metal scene would look a whole lot different)

Also I can see why people would mention Zeppelin and Purple, but they really aren't metal bands the way I see it. They might have been huge influences ON metal, but that is a whole different story [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

In no particular order:

Iron Maiden
                Black Sabbath
                Metallica
                Judas Priest
                Motorhead

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Black Sabbath (They invented the genre, it doesn't get more influential than that)... I can see why people would mention Zeppelin and Purple, but they really aren't metal bands the way I see it. They might have been huge influences ON metal, but that is a whole different story [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I agree... I always think of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple as "Proto-Metal", meaning they were the progenitors (fathers) of the genre without actually being classifyable as that genre.
                  Do you want to encourage the Sabb Four to release a studio, demo, or official live version of "Scary Dreams" (the thus far unreleased song they debuted/performed live during their 2001 Ozzfest tour)? If so, consider becoming a fan of Scary Dreams on facebook by clicking the below link:

Comment

I can't believe that only one person has mentioned Slayer. They have been a huge influence in metal, particularly in the genres of thrash, speed, and death metal.

Comment

I will go with Rock bands and not only Metal since there was no real Metal in the 70's (my opinion).
                      In no particular order:

Black Sabbath
                      Led Zeppelin
                      Deep Purple
                      AC/DC
                      Judas Priest

(about the Ozzy solo, I think it started too late to be considered as a real influence)
                      I'm just a man and I am what I am,
                      Nobody will ever change my ways.

Comment

I find it interesting that so many people are saying Led Zeppelin. To be honest, outside of the realm of obvious Zep-copycat bands that popped up, I don't really see too many places where they really influenced metal music. Clearly they were great and a ton of people loved them, but I don't think they were really chiefly important to any particular metal movement or to metal as a whole.

Comment

Black Sabbath and all related bands
                          Alice Cooper
                          Judas Priest
                          Motorhead
                          AC/DC
                          "I want to tell you, yeah
                          How Good It Feels
                          Sleeping here with you tonight
                          And that’s for real"
                          -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I find it interesting that so many people are saying Led Zeppelin. To be honest, outside of the realm of obvious Zep-copycat bands that popped up, I don't really see too many places where they really influenced metal music. Clearly they were great and a ton of people loved them, but I don't think they were really chiefly important to any particular metal movement or to metal as a whole.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Agreed

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

Comment

Working...
                              X