Songs with wasted potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songs with wasted potential

Has anyone ever heard a song that sounded like it could have been great, but just never reached its potential? I made this thread because I am listening to Iron Maiden's "Sign of the Cross," which sounds like it could have been their greatest song ever, except that its execution was extremely flawed. Blaze is not a great singer, but even so, his voice is drowned out in the mix, and the overall production on the song is terrible. Plus, the other band members sound totally dull and uninspired. It's a shame, as the song's melody and riffs are incredible. I wish Maiden would re-record this and do it right the next time.

Anyone else have any songs whose potential was simply wasted due to bad production or execution?

Re: Songs with wasted potential

As you're talking about Maiden, I'm immediately thinking about "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter" which is with no contest one of their greatest song when played live but won the "worst metal song of the year" when it came out and truely deserved it. The production and playing on the studio version is plain awful IMO.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies dont use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of Dehumanizer.
    "Black Sabbath : la Bte venue de Birmingham"

Comment

Oh, but Sign of the cross is one great LIVE track. Listen to Dickinsons version on Rock in Rio.

Another example: Fear of the dark: maibe maiden's best LIVE song ever, but the studio version lacks energy. Maiden *is* a live band, so they have a lot of songs that sound better live.

Comment

"The Magician's Birthday" by Uriah Heep.

I love this song. It's perfect in just about every way, but could've been even better if it didn't fade out so abruptly.
        >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
        SHIP ERTH THIS IS
        YR CPTIN SPEKING
        YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

BTW, I also agree 100% about "Sign of the Cross". Gonna get "Rock in Rio" sometime.
          >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
          SHIP ERTH THIS IS
          YR CPTIN SPEKING
          YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Rock In Rio is my favourite live album ever by any band.

Comment

Well that is interesting, maybe I will pick up Rock In Rio soon!

Comment

Oh if you can, pick the DVD. It's AWESOME to see 250 000 (yes THAT much) people rocking. There is no crowd like the brazilian one. There is one special moment when they play "blood brothers"... the crowd begins to clap hands and you see an ocean of people doing the same thing. Then the camera focuses Bruce who is in AWE at the crowd reaction.

That DVD rules!

Comment

St. Anger.

The riffs are good... great. But but it's clocking at about 7 minutes long, sounds so forced. The song is ridiculously repetitive. The radio edit is so much better but I still think it could be a lot better than that.
                  The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

Black Sabbath - Forbidden (the album)

A lot of those songs really aren't bad, but a lot of them sound incomplete, or rushed somewhat. Plus the sound quality sucks for some reason so all the songs sound much like demo versions.

I think "The Illusion Of Power" in particular could have been a really good song if it wasnt for the cheesy Ice-T rap in the middle.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Oh if you can, pick the DVD. It's AWESOME to see 250 000 (yes THAT much) people rocking. There is no crowd like the brazilian one. There is one special moment when they play "blood brothers"... the crowd begins to clap hands and you see an ocean of people doing the same thing. Then the camera focuses Bruce who is in AWE at the crowd reaction.

That DVD rules!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'll get the DVD definitely. I got the "Death on the Road" DVD over the CD and it's great. It also made me appreciate the "Dance of Death" album a lot more than when I first heard it.
                      >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
                      SHIP ERTH THIS IS
                      YR CPTIN SPEKING
                      YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Just ordered it, a second hand copy in very good condition from Amazon market place for 3.99 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
                        SHIP ERTH THIS IS
                        YR CPTIN SPEKING
                        YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

The best example I can think of is Moonchild by King Crimson. If memory serves, it's a couple minutes of very beatiful guitar and vocals, followed by 10+ minutes of weird musical rambling.

Another one is Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin. I'm not fond of drum solos, and despite the reputation that particular drum solo has, it gets boring quite easily for me. However, I absolutely LOVE the guitar riffs in that song, and I think that's some of Page's/JPJ's best riffage ever.

One that I actually count as one of my favorites already is For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica. However, it should be longer, especially by Metallica's standards. Take away the extended intro, the meat of the song is like only 3 minutes. The first time I got the CD and heard the song, I was really digging it, but when it ended, I was like, "What, that's it?" It just really seems like it should be longer.
                          Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

I would say nearly anything off Obscured By Clouds by Pink Floyd. Between two great albums, Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon, it just never quite made it in most people's books

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              There is no crowd like the brazilian one.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, well, thats YOUR opinion! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X