Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Death Metal: Too Extreme For You??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Death Metal: Too Extreme For You??

Death metal and black metal? Shame on me for thinking they were the same thing, LOL.

Comment

I like death metal.

As far as Opeth, I finally got to see them this year on Gigantour. It was great. But it was fucking cold. At least Opeth advised us to headbang to stay warm

Comment

Originally Posted By: RLP4ever
        Dev, I never knew that you actually played in DM bands yourself. So very cool. Great to hear that buddy. I don't recall actually meeting any serious DM musician so far, and certainly none of the living or late legends I admire so hugely. I guess meeting you, hearing you play (is it guitars??) and talking lots more DM stuff with you would be so swell.

Yeah I've been playing for quite a while now. Mainly guitar & bass, but I dabble with keys & drums as well. Man, If I had a voice for DM I'd be set. Unfortunately I've tried & just don't have the patience.

Malevolent has been a fav of mine since I first heard 10 Commandments in 1991. I mainly prefer their first two albums. But there's been a few others in the recent years that are pretty good as well.

If you're into the more technical/brutal oriented bands. 3 Bands from Northern California that I feel have that "Florida" type of sound are Severed Savior, Vile, & Decrepit Birth. Dare I say they could use a degree or two more of originality in some cases. I think they all need just a little more time to develop. But all three bands are incredibly talented & ones to keep an ear open for. You can find samples of all 3 bands on myspace.com.
        The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Originally Posted By: RLP4ever I sure can't think of many British DM bands worthy of comment, to be perfectly honest.
          Well, don't forget maybe the greatest Brittish DM/Grindcore band of the 80s: Napalm Death. Carcass formed after all from members of ND. They were somekind of original in their music back then. As a curiosity, the songs from their album From Enslavement to Obliteration featured 27 songs. The longest of them was only 3.13 , and the shortest "Dead" was only 5 secons long. Most of the songs were only about 40-50 seconds long :-)

Comment

Akercocke and Bolt Thrower are some decent death metal bands in my opinion. Both from the UK. "Shelter From The Sand" by Akercocke is perhaps the greatest song ever in extreme metal.
            http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

i must thank you devstorm for some really good recomendations. Goatwhore "A Haunting Curse" is a brilliant album, a great black metal sound and coming from an american band which i found quite surprising. and Deicides "Stench..." is a fine album also, the music is by far the best i have heard from any death metal band i have listened to and i found Glen's vocals to be more audible than i had previously, although they're still not 100% clear to me, but for a few songs i sat with the lyrics infront of me and that helped alot. So i will be definetly buying those two albums when i have the money to do so, and i also listened to "Annihilation of the Wicked" by Nile and liked that quite a bit as well. So thanks for that and anymore recommendations would be much appreciated.
              "Someone said there's a lost horizon. We must find a way to the throne."

"Don't drink from the cup of human kindness. It's a strange brew and poison to the touch."

Comment

Originally Posted By: El Lobo
                Originally Posted By: RLP4ever I sure can't think of many British DM bands worthy of comment, to be perfectly honest.
                Well, don't forget maybe the greatest Brittish DM/Grindcore band of the 80s: Napalm Death. Carcass formed after all from members of ND. They were somekind of original in their music back then. As a curiosity, the songs from their album From Enslavement to Obliteration featured 27 songs. The longest of them was only 3.13 , and the shortest "Dead" was only 5 secons long. Most of the songs were only about 40-50 seconds long :-)
                Yea El Lobo, it's my strange omission that I neglected to mention Britain's obvious major DM representative. I say it's strange of me to omit mentioning Napalm Death since their Harmony Corruption album and Deicide's self-titled debut were my first real initiation into death metal. I can't say I liked 'Harmony Corruption' album much at all. It's just passable I reckon. But I decided to check out ND's back catalogue anyway when they were a rather different sort of band. I found that I liked ND's grindcore/punk stylings a lot more and at which they sounded and seemed very accomplished and superior.

Ha, the weirdly structured album that you refer to above is obviously 'Scum' from 1987 or '88 I guess. That was a very good album and when you mention the wildly odd song lengths, I'd simply say that ND even outdid the traditional Punk rock norm of almost never exceeding 3:00 minutes on any song. The standard punk song seems to always hover around the 2:30 minute mark, never more, often less. So to have ND "songs" that run for under 1 minute, is truly bizarre.

That said, the fact remains that Britain's DM scene fares abysmally when compared to the U.S landscape brimming with lots of phenomenally talented and successful bands from the late '80s thru the entire '90s. British DM and related styles made nowhere near the musical impact nor established a worthy legacy of creative achievements that the American scene clearly has done. So I'd maintain that when it comes to DM, I feel largely at a loss to name even a handful of British names worthy of a serious DM fan's attentions.
                "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally Posted By: Sir Kenneth Akercocke and Bolt Thrower are some decent death metal bands in my opinion. Both from the UK. "Shelter From The Sand" by Akercocke is perhaps the greatest song ever in extreme metal.
                  I'd echo your statement above by saying that both the British bands you mentioned here are just that: "decent", no more than that, in my opinion. I haven't heard a whole lot of the music of either of them, but the little I did doesn't impress me much. Though, I reckon Bolt Thrower sound a bit better to my ears.

And Akercocke's 'Shelter from the Sand' being "the greatest song ever in extreme metal". Watch what you say Ken, That's the extremest stretch I've heard in a while, especially when we are talking Metal, and Death Metal at that.
                  "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

It is an opinion, so it's not stretch at all. I quite like Akercocke's dark proggy sound. They are one of the few death metal bands where I can honestly say that there aren't one million bands that sound exactly like that.

On the other hand, I don't think I can recall any newer American death metal band which has produced something which has not already been done a million times before.
                    http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

There's a good death/grind band called Gaza, i remember checking them out about a month ago after a review in Kerrang and i thought they were pretty good. I've only heard a couple of their songs but they're definetly worth a listen, if anyone wants to hear them they've a got a myspace site (www.myspace.com/gaza).
                      "Someone said there's a lost horizon. We must find a way to the throne."

"Don't drink from the cup of human kindness. It's a strange brew and poison to the touch."

Comment

Sabotaged, thanks for suggesting this one for us to check out. I''m always on the look-out for and willing to try out newer death bands whenever I hear of them. Few of them so far have cut the mustard for me. But I'm definitely gonna see what the two bands that devstorm suggested to me earlier and now this one coming from you, are all about. So it's Gaza? Sound so Middle Eastern and somewhat tame and innocuous by the standards of DM band names. I reckon their music could be anything but that, right?

I wanna urge you to do something if you wish. You mentioned before how you rather liked and enjoyed Deicide's latest comeback album of 2006 'The Stench of Redemption'. Then I'd recommend you to definitely buy and listen to (assuming that you haven't done so already) to Deicide's self-titled debut 'Deicide' and the follow-up 'Legion'. I still regard those two as arguably Deicide's sharpest and most stylish records so far, though they do have two other strong albums as well in their large discography.

Comment

Quote: Death metal is metal devoid of melody, timing, originality, atmosphere and intrigue. Its music is banal & lyrics purile.
                          ???????????

98% of death metal isn't death metal at all. Witnessing the birth and growth of 'real' death metal, having lived in Florida(where the genre was born and has it's biggest following), I would say it is one of the most confused genres to the common eyes.

Nowadays Death Metal is viewed as a bunch of thunderous non-comprehensable and often reguritating music. It comes equipped with ridiculously growling vocals that you cannot decipher nor make sense of if you were able to. But this outlook is due to the number of bands who forget what the genre was truly about.

Death Metal like all other metal will NEVER be recognized or appreciated because it is not constricted in anyway. It is about freedom in one way but then in another way it is about the things that prevent freedom.

All death metal is, is this: Melodied, Timed, Original, Atmospheric and Intriguing precised music. The lyrics speak of things most other dont wish to hear about: <span style="color: #CC99FF">Death, torture, rape, conspiracy, destruction, depression, murder, drugs</span>. Things that are negative, but the genre <span style="color: #FF0000">DOES NOT</span> <span style="color: #FF6666">PROMOTE</span> these things, they just speak of them.

Comment

I found Koreishch This decaying schizophrenic christ complex

a right bag of laughs

Comment

Originally Posted By: jackstripper I found Koreishch This decaying schizophrenic christ complex

a right bag of laughs
                              Jackstripper, if you happen to be English, would it be too much to ask of you to post something on my thread that is both in English and that makes plain sense??....

Comment

Looking through my playlist I've realised that these days Opeth are the only death metal band I like. And even then, it's more because of the softer side than the death metal side. I'de still take Death metal over lame black metal (although Bathory are great) or grindcore.

Comment

Working...
                                X