Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Death Metal: Too Extreme For You??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Metal: Too Extreme For You??

I'm aware that among us friends and fans here, regardless of the actual bands we love most or the music we listen to most frequently, or indeed for the talented aspiring musicians among us, the music we 'play', the one thing that surely unites us all right here is our shared love for high-quality, great Metal music and bands (and of course Black Sabbath).

I reckon most of us have experienced and enjoyed greatly a whole lot of classic thrash/speed metal acts and albums over the years. Personally, I still love and admire this brand of metal more than any other.

However, this thread is about thrash/heavy metal's brilliant offspring, born in the mid-80s, what once used to be inadequately called 'post-thrash' but soon assumed a distinct, powerful identity and name of its own: Death Metal. America has been the fountain head from which most of the very best death metal bands have sprung. Florida, New York and California have been the three disparate locations of death metal's origins and development. Out of this famous trio, Florida has apparently been the hottest of the hotbeds of death metal's rise. Where's Ashley to comment on this??

I won't write an academic thesis here (as if I even could :D) on this great genre of metal, but lemme make a few comments anyway for the benefit of those friends here that might feel a bit clueless about my thread topic.

For most fans, whether casual or devoted, death metal's stand-out features include a highly aggressive, 'extremist' style of playing that is reflected in the genre's trademark of very fierce, intense and dynamic style of overall musicianship by its major exponents, i.e. the bands. The lyrical themes have mainly been highly violent, sinister, gory, morbid, dark and well, 'deathly' related stuff. Though lemme point out that death metal's "narrative" approach to song-writing helped it sometimes expand beyond the above-mentioned topics to more philosophy and high-minded social/humanistic themes in modern, late death metal records. The MOST OBVIOUS marker of death metal to all listeners though, has to be the vocal style of the singers----the distinct very low-pitched 'growling' delivery, a.k.a the unique 'death grunt', which makes most lyrics impossible to make full sense of, even to trained ears like mine.

I realise that death metal is, by its very nature and stylings, way too 'extreme' and very inaccessible for the tastes of most mainstream metal fans. But I know from personal experience that liking or loving death metal can be very much an 'acquired', almost-accidental taste, i.e. you might dislike it at first, but giving it a serious chance by listening to various great material that the genre offers, there's every chance it will win you over. Although I've known very few real death metal fans personally, I sense that death metal has come a long way from the deep underground in the 80s and early 90s to much greater popularity through the last ten years or so. I myself discovered it and soon became an automatic convert during the last 6 years. I'd contend that death metal has contributed substantially to keeping the flame of Metal ablaze through the 1990s, at least much more than its other darkly dangerous, yet less impressive cousin, 'black metal' has.

And death metal, like 'heavy metal' music itself before it, has split and mutated into various related styles over the years-----of which the one I don't much like at all is the so-called 'Melodic' or 'Scandinavian' death metal. However, I regard all death metal musicians very highly and, in my opinion, lots of death metal records exhibit some of the most exceptionally technical, accomplished and truly exquisite musicianship you can hope to hear in Metal. Of course, there are tons of lousy, second to third-rate DM bands out there. But I'm not talking about those losers.

The reason I wrote this thread is I wanna find out exactly how you guys all feel about whatever death metal you have heard so far. Discuss what bands and material you own, love or loathe and everything in between. Like the thread question: Is death metal 'too extreme for you?'

I'll end by naming some of my own favourite death metal merchants. Later, I might name the albums I own and enjoy. For those that know the stuff, you might notice that my death metal preferences are heavily of the American variety, especially the Floridians. Here goes (not in order of preference)

Death
    Deicide
    Malevolent Creation
    Obituary
    Morbid Angel
    Suffocation
    Possessed

and Britain's Carcass

Dig in guys!!

"Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Re: Death Metal: Too Extreme For You??

Re: the question in the topic title: yes it is.
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

I can listen to some death/Grindcore/Goregrind or whatever it's called these days, and I find it very interesting from the point of view of the rythm session. Those are often amazing drummers/bassists.

My problem with that kind of music is

* The incredible equality of the bands/sounds. You hear a death band and often you must be told about who are playing because they are very similar in it's sound.

* Grunt vocals. It must be my untrained ears, but I can't for the life of me tell you about the difference between most of those guys voices. I can tell you when Dickinson is singing, or Halford, or Kiske, or Bonnet or Martin or whoever, but the low frequency in which those vocalists "sing" makes it difficult for me to identificate/individualize them.

I don't have a problem with their image or silly lyrics (except the motherfucker Varg Vikernes), but I can see why many people are bothered by this. I really don't care about that, thoug. Silly and gimmicked, but it's OK, I think.

Comment

I don't listen to it. Maybe if I did I would like it, I don't know. But theres way to much other stuff for me to listen to. I guess Pantera was the hardest band I ever got into. But for the most part, I'll stick with Black Sabbath, DP, Rainbow, Thin Lizzy and anything that includes John Sykes, Glenn Hughes, Dio, Jimmy Page, ect.....

Comment

I don't find it particularly extreme at all. I find black metal, drone, funeral doom, and avante-garde metal to be way more extreme than death metal. Some death metal's cool. There are a few bands I really like. I prefer the more brutal, grindcore-ish stuff. I find melodic death metal sort of boring. The problem with death metal is that a few good, creative bands, spawn a million crappy imitators with no imagination. Of course, that can be said about a lot genres of music.

A few of the bands I like:

Death
          Possessed
          Morbid Angel
          Cryptopsy
          Cephalic Carnage
          Suffocation
          Dead For Days

Comment

The music itself isn't. But the dry ice, 5 lbs of make up, and spitting blood is just sort of corny. Your music should speak for itself.

Comment

Death metal... I really only listen to Opeth. But that's because I haven't bothered with any other bands. I have a few Celtic Frost tunes but that's it.
              The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Evil Woman The music itself isn't. But the dry ice, 5 lbs of make up, and spitting blood is just sort of corny. Your music should speak for itself.
                Damn right.
                "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Originally Posted By: Evil Woman The music itself isn't. But the dry ice, 5 lbs of make up, and spitting blood is just sort of corny. Your music should speak for itself.
                  That's not death metal, that's black metal. Of course, you've also described Gene Simmons.

Comment

One of my biggest problems with death metal (the death metal I've heard at least) is that almost every note is the same duration (For example: sixteenth), which makes it quite tedious to me.

The death metal vocal style though, is something I've grown accustomed to liking, due to mainly three bands, only one of them being death metal (Morbid Angel), the other two being gothic and doom metal (Tristania and My Dying Bride, respectively).
                    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

Eh, Death Metal isn't for me. I'd rather listen to its cousin Black Metal (and even then, really only Venom).

Comment

I was first exposed to death metal in the early 90s. I was playing in a speed/thrash metal band, but the club we played at would constantly book us with death metal bands. Over all, I just never got into it. I can think of a few death metal bands with songs I kind of liked (Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse), but over all that music style simply never interested me enough to ever buy a death metal album.

A lot of death metal admittedly sounds all the same to me, but I try to keep in mind that ANY kind of music one doesn't normally listen to is going to "sound all the same". And I'm sure that like any other genre of music, there are a few pioneers of the genre who are among the best, and too many less-talented bands who don't have anything well worth hearing nor unqiue to offer, and follow a formula when it comes to writing and how they market themselves (especially when it comes to the "evil" band names).

As far as the musicianship goes, again, I see some who are talented and some who don't really know what they're doing. I know most people dismiss death metal vocals as "bad", but it actually takes some talent to sing like that without damaging your throat; there's a right way and a wrong way to go about it.

Comment

Originally Posted By: David86 Death metal... I really only listen to Opeth. But that's because I haven't bothered with any other bands. I have a few Celtic Frost tunes but that's it.
                          Isn't celtic frost black metal?

Anyways I dont think it is too extreme at all. I like some death metal bands but I dont listen to it much. Black metal is by far more extreme.

Comment

Are they? I wouldn't know, really. But they're good.
                            The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

Meh. There's nothing extreme about death metal. Death metal is quite simply boring. "Whoa - look how heavy we are & how fast we can play!" For me to like something musically, it's gotta have something that captures my interest. Death metal is metal devoid of melody, timing, originality, atmosphere and intrigue. Its music is banal & lyrics purile.

Possessed's Seven Churches is the closest thing to interesting death metal I've heard, and even then I'm yawning before the 38-or-so minutes are up.

Hang on. I don't know if they're classed as death metal or as one of the other three million meaningless metal genre names, but Living Death were interesting, mainly because they had a sense of humour.

Overall, death metal is metal's version of country & western.

IMHO!

Comment

Working...
                              X