What Was The Last Album You Bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
    a good friend just sent me the "Super Delux" reissue on the Stone's 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out'... one f the best live albums of all time...

http://www.amazon.com/Ya-Yas-Rolling...7438172&sr=8-3
    eh? 3 LPs ?!?!?!

I have the old vinyl (rather ran down from too much playing), but it's one LP only - what's in the other two? Can't say I've been looking at Stones stuff for a couple of decades, so I have no idea!

Comment

• There's one disc of unreleased Stone's numbers from the MSG shows... The other is stuff by the support acts at the shows... BB King & Ike & Tina Turner.

Comment

• November updates:

Sapattivuosi
        - Ihmisen Merkki

Warlock
        - Burning The Witches
        - Hellbound
        - True As Steel
        - Triumph & Agony
        "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

• Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
          There's one disc of unreleased Stone's numbers from the MSG shows... The other is stuff by the support acts at the shows... BB King & Ike & Tina Turner.
          Ike & Tina? No thanks! Unreleased songs? Interesting!

Comment

• Wall, no kidding, you're dead serious, huh? Further proof of how there's no second-guessing personal tastes in MUSIC. Damn, you wasted your money. Though, I'm expecting to be a lot luckier, somehow. LOL
            To be fair, that was after an initial listen which left me somewhat disappointed and wishing I could get a refund. Another listen has (very) slightly improved my view of it but KK's solos are absolutely awful - I think he is actually getting worse with each album.

Also in places it is hard to say what sounds more tired, Tom or the songwriting.

The infuriating thing is that there are some great songs which are ruined by poor production and terrible solo's. The production seems to have sapped the energy of the band and the drums really aren't as prominent as they should be.

When it comes to Slayer I tend to think of South of Heaven, Seasons In The Abyss and Hell Awaits (albums) - Rein in Blood is vastly overrated to me. Plus, for what its worth, I always ranked Megadeth, Testament, Exodus, and Anthrax (Bush-era) over Slayer. I don't often listen to Slayer and it tends be from SNM to Decade of Aggression (except for the RIB album) or occasionally GHUA and CI.

When it comes to albums from the bigger Thrash bands released this year, I'd rank'em;
            - Megadeth - Endgame
            - Sepultura - A-Lex (Very Close 2nd)
            - Kreator - Hordes of Chaos
            - Slayer - World Painted Blood

I don't view myself as a huge Slayer fan although I do enjoy much of their output.

Hope you enjoy the album though
            Last edited by Wall 666; 11-05-2009, 04:25 PM.
            "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."
            - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.
            Albert Einstein --- To Paul Plaut, October 23, 1928. AEA 28065

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Slayer - World Painted Blood

I ordered it on Tuesday. Didn't get the special edition stuff that they been selling, bit to rich for my blood. I got it at $9.99 plus tax, free shipping from Bestbuy.com. I've been really lucky this year buying new releases this year with Black Sabbath, Megadeth, and Alice In Chains, along with Slayer. So here is to the album. Cheers.
              Last edited by 8bit Fighter; 11-06-2009, 12:10 PM.
              "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

• Originally posted by Wall 666 View Post
                To be fair, that was after an initial listen which left me somewhat disappointed and wishing I could get a refund. Another listen has (very) slightly improved my view of it but KK's solos are absolutely awful - I think he is actually getting worse with each album.

Also in places it is hard to say what sounds more tired, Tom or the songwriting.

The infuriating thing is that there are some great songs which are ruined by poor production and terrible solo's. The production seems to have sapped the energy of the band and the drums really aren't as prominent as they should be.

When it comes to Slayer I tend to think of South of Heaven, Seasons In The Abyss and Hell Awaits (albums) - Rein in Blood is vastly overrated to me. Plus, for what its worth, I always ranked Megadeth, Testament, Exodus, and Anthrax (Bush-era) over Slayer. I don't often listen to Slayer and it tends be from SNM to Decade of Aggression (except for the RIB album) or occasionally GHUA and CI.

When it comes to albums from the bigger Thrash bands released this year, I'd rank'em;
                - Megadeth - Endgame
                - Slayer - World Painted Blood

I don't view myself as a huge Slayer fan although I do enjoy much of their output.

Hope you enjoy the album though
                Wall, I actually understand what you mean by the stuff you say about Kerry's solos. There are many people--even solid Slayer fans---that sometimes lament KK's 'silly' soloing I'll admit that while I like Kerry's overall playing enough to have always loved Slayer and what he does with them, there have been some (otherwise good-to-great) Slayer songs that have been marred by some of Kerry's strangely sucky, stupid short solos. I've always preferred Jeff Hannemann's song-writing skills and guitar playing to Kerry King's, no question. But Kerry is pretty cool, in his own right.

I'm quite surprised to hear you say that the 'production' sounded very sub-par to you. Nobody, save one, has said that to me about WPB, yet. And it's disappointing to hear that the drumming is poorly served by the production and don't sound as powerful or prominent as they ought to. Lombardo's wallop on drums is one major highlight that I was sorely waiting to hear on WPB. Oh well, I will find out all about it, soon enough.

Wall, interesting to see your personal ranking for Thrash '09. For me, all three albums, i.e new-Megadeth/Sepultura/Kreator have been let-downs, of sorts, though I'd rank A-lex my own favourite among those. I have actually enjoyed other new thrash releases by other acts, quite a bit more than anything by the veterans, this year.

Originally posted by Sabbathman
                What a massive piece of oriental death metal the album is - again. Another addition to the great "journey" that Nile is...Well, I'm a sucker for everything oriental and brutal, technically supremely demanding death metal...this new album will demand a thorough, complete discography listening theme as it has been the case with Nile so far. I have listened to it for a few times now, but I will soon start the "boat trip" on the waves of Nile...
                Wow, so you did the smart thing by pre-ordering it nice and early----and landing a real priceless package in the bargain. I had listened to 3 of the songs on NILE's TWTGD last month, and I was sort of floored by the freshness and ferocity of what I heard.

As for the 'boat trip' on the 'waves of Nile'---mate, count me in as your fellow traveller, cos I've sailed and savoured those godly death metal waters, myself, for a very long time.
                Last edited by RLP4ever; 11-06-2009, 12:33 AM.
                "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

• Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post

Paegan Terrorism Tactics~ACID BATH
                  That's a decent one. Not nearly as interesting as their first one, but good nonetheless
                  http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

• [QUOTE=Wall 666;204689]
                    - Megadeth - Endgame
                    - Slayer - World Painted Blood [QUOTE]

It's funny to hear another fans review sometimes, it's as if we're talking about two different Cds. I don't own the new Sepultura, so I can't count it, but as far as the other 3 you liste, I would've ranked them totally different, more like:

1. Slayer
                    2. Kreator
                    3. Megadeth

I've also been musing how I would rank Slayer WPB compared to Metallica & Megadeth's newest releases...(I've pretty much given up on the 4th of the big 4, Anthrax)...

1. Slayer
                    2. Metallica
                    3. Megadeth

I really like WPB, not from a "fan-boy" aspect either. In fact I was a Megadeth & Metallica fan before I was ever a Slayer fan. And after being pissed at Metallica for years, I really think their latest is far superior to Mega-Dave's heartless, boring riff-fest.

And as far as production on WPB, I thought it was far better than Christ Illusion's over compressed sound. (In fact I just commented on that yesterday to my son, and he commented on how well Lombardo's drumming was).

And the lyrics, well I guess after 30 years of pretty much staying in the same musical vein, they do kind of stagnate. But there are really only so many subjects to sing about; Satan, Hell, Psyco-killers, Satan, War, Politics, Satan

Anyway, to each his own. I'm glad you're liking it a little better now, nothing sucks worse than spending hard-earned cash for a band you love, only to be disappointed.
                    And if the sun never shined on us, the night time has fruit of the vine High on Fire-Brother in the Wind

Comment

• Hi guys.

I bought NIN~ The Fragile (from my son for $10... score!)

Next album... maybe Green Day's new one. I usually go to the record store with several ideas of what I want to buy... but I also *always* start by perusing the 'used' section. So I never know what treasures I'm going to find there ;-)
                      Steam shower | Bathroom vanities | Faucets

Comment

• Pink Floyd ~ Animals
                        >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
                        SHIP ERTH THIS IS
                        YR CPTIN SPEKING
                        YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

• ADY that is my very favroite Floyd album. I feel this and not Dark Side ort the Wall was there crowning achivement.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentuckyfan View Post
                            ADY that is my very favroite Floyd album. I feel this and not Dark Side ort the Wall was there crowning achivement.
                            It's a great album, that's for sure.
                            >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
                            SHIP ERTH THIS IS
                            YR CPTIN SPEKING
                            YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

• A7X - Waking The Fallen

I agree with "Animals" being one of Floyd's best. My favorite is still "Meddle."
                              Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
                              I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
                              There's just one thing to say, after all.

Comment

• I'm no big Floyd fan, loving several assorted songs of theirs, rather than entire albums of their colossal discography. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Animals is my own 'favourite' Pink Floyd album (all of it, too )

Alright, after some of my talk on Slayer on this very page, I'm thrilled to announce that I've finally got mighty Slayer's World Painted Blood, this afternoon with eternal thanks to my older sister, Nicole.

I just heard it through, in full, a few hours ago.

My sister spent her money well; Slayer and WPB slay like no one else does, and I'm one thrilled thrash fanatic, tonight.
                                "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Working...
                                X