Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

What Was The Last Album You Bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's my Christmas haul:

Beatles - The Mono Boxset!!!
    Slayer - South of Heaven
    Testament - Low
    King's X - Ogre Tones

Was finally able to invest in the Beatles set now that I'm slowly getting back on my feet. Pretty soon, I'll have to look into the Zeppelin CSR set (thanks again, RLP).

Comment

• Got Cardiants (my guitar tutors band) new album Tomorrows Daylight as a xmas present . Pretty good actually. If your into power/or classic metal this will do it for you.
      "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
      "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
      "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post
        I guess the elves brought my special present today, I saw some strange footprints outside on the snow when I came back home...

The Life And Crimes Of Alice Cooper 4 CD anthology box set

I know it's just wishful thinking, but who knows - maybe they did manage to handcraft that box set for me at Santa's workshop after all...well, the day after tomorrow I'll find out what the package is!
        Hey I got this box set for Christmas! What a cool box, 4 CDs covering 1965 - 1994 and loaded with classics, rarities and single/demo editions, a multi-page booklet inside. It's like a DVD box-sized digibook, the CDs are placed on both inner plates and the pages are in the middle. Alice found guilty and imprisoned for his life and crimes on the front cover, lurking from beyond the cell door...

Today I went to the post-Christmas discount sales...

I got Iced Earth "Gettysburg 1863" limited edition double DVD for just 5,99 euros and...

...I'm congratulating myself here for my good purchase...

Slayer - World Painted Blood deluxe edition for just 14,95 euros! Man that was 5 euros cheaper than the regular version - I would have bought this surprisingly great album as the deluxe edition anyway since I already wanted the bonus DVD as well, I'm a sucker for specialties...RLP4EVER and danmac must be proud of me!
        "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

• With Christmas money I ordered/purchased the following:

H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds" 1967 BBC Full-Cast Radioplay
          John LeCarre's "Call for the Dead" BBC-Full Cast Radioplay
          Sharon Gossling's "The Kindness of Strangers" (Stargate Atlantis) Audiobook

The Beatles - Love
          Various - Butchering The Beatles (Tribute Album)
          "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."
          - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”
          —Albert Einstein --- To Paul Plaut, October 23, 1928. AEA 28–065

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Echoes View Post
            Here's my Christmas haul:

Beatles - The Mono Boxset!!!
            Slayer - South of Heaven
            Testament - Low
            King's X - Ogre Tones

Was finally able to invest in the Beatles set now that I'm slowly getting back on my feet. Pretty soon, I'll have to look into the Zeppelin CSR set (thanks again, RLP).
            Haha, Echoes, I feel grateful and glad that you even choose to so generously thank me, on this count. It's just great that you're seriously considering snapping up the indispensable Zeppelin CSR catalogue.

And oh, I notice you have brought home the once-maligned, then-duly appreciated great Slayer record, South of Heaven. Superb songs and stellar musicianship showing that you could actually play 'slow(er)' and still totally slay, as only Slayer could.

As for Testament, that's not a half-bad album either. Don't know if you'd relate to the vocals on that latter-era Testament record, though. Give it a serious go. I'll be happy to hear you like it a lot.
            "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

• Originally posted by Wall 666 View Post
              The Beatles - Love
              Various - Butchering The Beatles (Tribute Album)
              I see you've picked up the "bug" Wall after wading in to The Beatles catalog (pun intended I suppose). Good for you. I recommend you sample some of their solo material, like Harrison's All Things Must Pass, McCartney's Tug of War and Lennon's Double Fantasy. You can almost never go wrong with their collective and solo work, although some of it is obviously better than others.
              "But I don't want to go among mad people."
              "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
              "How do you know I'm mad?"
              "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Comment

• Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
                Haha, Echoes, I feel grateful and glad that you even choose to so generously thank me, on this count. It's just great that you're seriously considering snapping up the indispensable Zeppelin CSR catalogue.

And oh, I notice you have brought home the once-maligned, then-duly appreciated great Slayer record, South of Heaven. Superb songs and stellar musicianship showing that you could actually play 'slow(er)' and still totally slay, as only Slayer could.

As for Testament, that's not a half-bad album either. Don't know if you'd relate to the vocals on that latter-era Testament record, though. Give it a serious go. I'll be happy to hear you like it a lot.
                As a matter of fact, Chuck Billy's vocals don't bother me one bit here! They took some time getting used to, but now I can honestly say I enjoy the album a lot. Almost as much as 'The Legacy' and 'The Formation of Damnation'. As for 'Demonic' and 'The Gathering'...well I'll get back to you should they ever reach my CD rack. Same goes for the Chuck Billy version of 'Silent Night'!

And you're spot on about the Slayer comment above. I really dig the 'slow slaying' style quite a bit too, which is why I have a soft spot for 'Seasons in the Abyss' (doesn't hurt that the title track to SITA is one of my all time favourite songs). Next stop will be World Painted Blood, without a doubt. I'm gonna want to learn more of their work because of my friend getting tickets to Megadeth/Slayer/Testament in the new year!

Actually, since you mentioned Testament's vocals, I forgot one album to add to the list:

Derelict - Unspoken Words

For those outside the Montreal area, they're a local prog-metal band with a slight death metal sound (mainly the vocals). I checked it out mostly because one of the members happens to be an old friend. However, I find even though death metal is not something I listen to often, this was well worth the purchase. It's dark and heavy, with just enough curve balls in the music to keep me on my feet.

RLP--If you enjoy a little bit of prog in your metal, I suggest you check out a few tunes on their myspace.

Comment

• Latest prepaids (inspired by earlier acquisitions/acquaintances):

Dokken
                  - Under Lock And Key
                  - Tooth And Nail

Ratt
                  -Invasion Of Your Privacy

Iced Earth
                  - The Glorious Burden

44,50 eur incl. postage

Addition:

Miami Vice original TV series soundtrack for 10,95 euros from the same retailer...got it added to the delivery just in time...
                  Last edited by Sabbathman; 12-30-2009, 04:03 AM.

Comment

• I see you've picked up the "bug" Wall after wading in to The Beatles catalog (pun intended I suppose). Good for you. I recommend you sample some of their solo material, like Harrison's All Things Must Pass, McCartney's Tug of War and Lennon's Double Fantasy. You can almost never go wrong with their collective and solo work, although some of it is obviously better than others.
                    I never really gave the Beatles the credit they deserved but after hearing a couple of tracks in one of the few remaining record stores locally I've ended up buying a lot of the remasters and now I'm a convert. What struck me was the variety of sounds and styles. Far from what I expected.

Thanks for the recommendations on the solo front. I think my first point of call will probably be George Harrison's All Thing's Must Pass. He's a great songwriter and a good singer too. My mum mentioned he was in the Traveling Wilbury's. Incidentally I stumbled upon a video clip of him on stage with Deep Purple which was a pleasant surprise. I'll certainly keep an eye for your suggestions on McCartney and Lennon's solo work too.

Again Cheers
                    "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I never really gave the Beatles the credit they deserved but after hearing a couple of tracks in one of the few remaining record stores locally I've ended up buying a lot of the remasters and now I'm a convert. What struck me was the variety of sounds and styles. Far from what I expected.

Thanks for the recommendations on the solo front. I think my first point of call will probably be George Harrison's All Thing's Must Pass. He's a great songwriter and a good singer too. My mum mentioned he was in the Traveling Wilbury's. Incidentally I stumbled upon a video clip of him on stage with Deep Purple which was a pleasant surprise. I'll certainly keep an eye for your suggestions on McCartney and Lennon's solo work too.

Again Cheers
                      i think when you're getting into someone it's best to start with best of compilations. i would recommend lennon's Working Class Hero: The Definitive Lennon (2 cd set with 38 tracks, all essential lennon songs, better than maybe more popular lennon legend with 20 songs on 1 cd)
                      http://www.amazon.com/Working-Class-...2135602&sr=1-8

in 2009 finally came decent george harrison best of compilation with 19 tracks so that's a good starting point (although all thing must pass is really essential but we're talking about compilations here)
                      http://www.amazon.com/Let-Roll-Songs...2135617&sr=1-3

imo mccartney doesn't have decent compilation of his best solo work, the best you can get is Wingspan (Hits & History) which also includes his stuff with wings
                      http://www.amazon.com/Wingspan-Hits-...2135990&sr=1-9

and now ringo. i never listened to his solo albums but you can't go wrong with this best of
                      http://www.amazon.com/Photograph-Ver...2135646&sr=1-2

i listened to almost all beatles solo albums (except ringo's), certainly to all essential ones so if you need any suggestions regarding what albums you should listen to i'd be glad to help

Comment

• i think when you're getting into someone it's best to start with best of compilations. i would recommend lennon's Working Class Hero: The Definitive Lennon (2 cd set with 38 tracks, all essential lennon songs, better than maybe more popular lennon legend with 20 songs on 1 cd)
                        http://www.amazon.com/Working-Class-...2135602&sr=1-8

in 2009 finally came decent george harrison best of compilation with 19 tracks so that's a good starting point (although all thing must pass is really essential but we're talking about compilations here)
                        http://www.amazon.com/Let-Roll-Songs...2135617&sr=1-3

imo mccartney doesn't have decent compilation of his best solo work, the best you can get is Wingspan (Hits & History) which also includes his stuff with wings
                        http://www.amazon.com/Wingspan-Hits-...2135990&sr=1-9

and now ringo. i never listened to his solo albums but you can't go wrong with this best of
                        http://www.amazon.com/Photograph-Ver...2135646&sr=1-2

i listened to almost all beatles solo albums (except ringo's), certainly to all essential ones so if you need any suggestions regarding what albums you should listen to i'd be glad to help
                        Thanks for the information and the offer!

I must admit I'm really not into Ringo to be honest...

I'm going to have a good look at the links you've given and have a think.

Cheers!

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedoes

Had to replace an old copy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Echoes View Post
                            As a matter of fact, Chuck Billy's vocals don't bother me one bit here! They took some time getting used to, but now I can honestly say I enjoy the album a lot. Almost as much as 'The Legacy' and 'The Formation of Damnation'. As for 'Demonic' and 'The Gathering'...well I'll get back to you should they ever reach my CD rack. Same goes for the Chuck Billy version of 'Silent Night'!

And you're spot on about the Slayer comment above. I really dig the 'slow slaying' style quite a bit too, which is why I have a soft spot for 'Seasons in the Abyss' (doesn't hurt that the title track to SITA is one of my all time favourite songs). Next stop will be World Painted Blood, without a doubt. I'm gonna want to learn more of their work because of my friend getting tickets to Megadeth/Slayer/Testament in the new year!

Actually, since you mentioned Testament's vocals, I forgot one album to add to the list:

Derelict - Unspoken Words

For those outside the Montreal area, they're a local prog-metal band with a slight death metal sound (mainly the vocals). I checked it out mostly because one of the members happens to be an old friend. However, I find even though death metal is not something I listen to often, this was well worth the purchase. It's dark and heavy, with just enough curve balls in the music to keep me on my feet.

RLP--If you enjoy a little bit of prog in your metal, I suggest you check out a few tunes on their myspace.
                            Well, that's cool to hear that you actually liked Chuck Billy's vocals on that album. I'm no big fan of Demonic and The Gathering (though both have their strong moments, especially The Gathering), and I made a volte-face about Formation of Damnation (i.e. I liked it initially but then fast tired of it and consider it a minor let-down now). I know of plenty of extreme bands that played mainly very fast, but then adeptly mixed things up with the mid-paced, and slowish tempos, as well-----not always with completely stellar results, but mostly pretty impressively, all round. Slayer was much misunderstood and maligned by their fans with the blatant slowing down on South of Heaven, made to seem even more marked, coming as it did after the thrashing typhoon that was Reign in Blood. But SoH, despite its relative slowish pace, also had many fast parts, and the overall effect was a particularly brutal, aggressive, punishing onslaught. And yea, Echoes, do get World Painted Blood. Although it has attracted some negative reviews, on this board, and elsewhere, I liked WPB enough to readily recommend it to you.

And I will check out Derelict (I'm always keen to check out Canadian rock/metal)...And hey, buddy, you're right to wonder about my feelings about 'progressive' rock-metal----"a little bit of 'prog' in metal" is frankly, just about all that I normally can safely enjoy.
                            "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

I'm by no means an expert, and everything about musical taste is subjective, but I'd shy away from the McCartney compliations. I agree with innuendo that the Lennon compilations give you alot of his best stuff. McCartney I've always felt was "streaky" in that he generally either had great whole albums or mediocre ones (never completely bad). In addition to Tug of War, I'd recommend Flowers in the Dirt, and all of his recent stuff from Flaming Pie on. He's been on fire for about a decade now. Whatever you do with George you have to have All Things Must Pass.

I love Ringo, but download the song It Don't Come Easy off iTunes and I think you're all set.
                              "But I don't want to go among mad people."
                              "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
                              "How do you know I'm mad?"
                              "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post
                                Latest prepaids (inspired by earlier acquisitions/acquaintances):

Dokken
                                - Under Lock And Key
                                - Tooth And Nail

Ratt
                                -Invasion Of Your Privacy

Iced Earth
                                - The Glorious Burden

44,50 eur incl. postage

Addition:

Miami Vice original TV series soundtrack for 10,95 euros from the same retailer...got it added to the delivery just in time...
                                All the rest made it just in time for the New Year, only one post-delivery item:

Iced Earth
                                - The Glorious Burden

----------------------------------------------

I checked the archives and now the CD count is 659 so only 7 more to go...I'll make a special announcement of this "once in a lifetime" event. For me 666 is nothing to be afraid of, it's just a number. But in my twisted heavy metal mind, the number 666 is just a mark of evil, crazy fun...and certainly when my collection reaches this number, the devil, or whatever, will be far away hiding in anguish! We'll see what album gets this special moment, I'm not actually sure yet. I have few older albums in my mind that I'm still missing from my collection. It could be Slayer, Edge Of Sanity, Crimson Glory, ZZ Top...

But whatever each one's album count may be (I too have one friend with 1200 and more CDs, thanks to his record company status and general insanity for everything metal), it's nothing compared to one's personal enthusiasm about the beloved music and the music itself.
                                The main thing is to R O C K ! ! !
                                Last edited by Sabbathman; 01-20-2010, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X