X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Lee Hooker - The Cream

Comment

• Originally posted by Wall 666 View Post
      Whitesnake - 1987 The contrast was hightened by the arrival of Trouble. This is a far superior band playing much stronger music. I find it odd that in the booklet Coverdale states that he was sick of screaming his way through Deep Purple and wouldn't limit himself with his own album/band yet in the end thats exactky what 1987 does. Shame because Coverdale's voice on Trouble is excellent, more emotion and more organic.

1987, much like Good To Be Bad just doesn't feel like Whitesnake. It is for all intents and purposes a different band. Thats not to say that 1987 doesn't have any good songs, simply that it is A) outclassed by the earlier albums as evidenced with B) two of the strongest songs on the album are rerecordings of old tracks.
      For me "Whitesnake" (to give 1987 it's proper name) marked the second step down a long slippery staircase for Coverdale & Whitesnake... "Slide It In" being the first with the appalling "Slow And Easy" & "Spit It Out".

Even so I think Trouble was a low point in Coverdale's early post DP career. I loved "Northwinds" and "Snakebite" but "Trouble" just lacked a little magic despite DC being in fine form.

I loved the "Lovehunter"/ "Ready & Willing"/"Come An Get It" trilogy... loathed "Saints & Sinners" apart from the infinitely superior original "Here I Go Again' & "Crying In The Rain"... thought the non Sykes "Slide It In" was solid but the Zep influences were getting to strong... The "Whitesnake" album had a moment or two, especially "Looking For Love"... and "Slip Of The Tongue" was a fucking dead dog from start to finish. "Restless Heart" was even worse.

Isn't there a Whitesnake thread somewhere? Yeah, this turned into one...

http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...ght=whitesnake

Comment

• Monday's quick order arrived yesterday...

Slayer
        - Decade Of Aggression - Live 2CD (I love the good old double CD case!)
        - Chris Illusion special edition

One of my 2 backorders arrived today...

Gary Moore (remasters)
        - Corridors Of Power
        - Victims Of The Future
        - Run For Cover
        - Wild Frontier
        - After The War

ZZ Top
        - Eliminator (the old CD pressing)

-------------------------------------------------------

What comes to the notorious & evil fun of the album number #666 I was talking about...I could have planned this thoroughly to get a certain album to have the running number #666 in my collections, but instead I just made regular purchases and let the destiny form on its own...

With these latest cash purchases, quick orders and 2 back orders it can get a bit confusing as to what album gets the number, added that some albums arrive in a bundle...So I'm not deciding the number by purchase, I'm deciding it by which order the albums emerge from the packaging to further join my collection...As I opened today's packaging and took the albums out, it was Gary Moore's Wild Frontier that became the number #666 in my collections...Ironically, the first song on my first ever C-cassette collection back in late 1989 was the first song from this very album, Over The Hills And Far Away...
        Last edited by Sabbathman; 01-20-2010, 04:42 AM.
        "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

• The Specials ~ s/t

Wolfmother ~ Cosmic Egg

Hawkwind ~ Weird Tapes 3 - Free Festivals
          >>TECHNICIÄNS ÖF SPÅCE
          SHIP EÅRTH THIS IS
          YÖÜR CÄPTÅIN SPEÄKING
          YÖÜR ØÅPTÅIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

• Originally posted by Wall 666 View Post
            Whitesnake - 1987

It was on sale and although I couldn't stand "Is This Love", the rerecorded songs got me curious. as did John Sykes on guitar. The album is is best summed up to me as a Coverdale/Sykes album as opposed to Whitesnake. The direction of the album is certainly very 80's - though not in (what I would consider) a good way.

The contrast was hightened by the arrival of Trouble. This is a far superior band playing much stronger music. I find it odd that in the booklet Coverdale states that he was sick of screaming his way through Deep Purple and wouldn't limit himself with his own album/band yet in the end thats exactky what 1987 does. Shame because Coverdale's voice on Trouble is excellent, more emotion and more organic.

1987, much like Good To Be Bad just doesn't feel like Whitesnake. It is for all intents and purposes a different band. Thats not to say that 1987 doesn't have any good songs, simply that it is A) outclassed by the earlier albums as evidenced with B) two of the strongest songs on the album are rerecordings of old tracks.

Sabbathman - you were right about the quality of the remastering, it sounds excellent and is how remastering should be done (Megadeth & Judas Priest take note!). Doesn't hurt that the songwriting and performances are great either.
            You coul dmake an argument that the original WHITESNAKE was actually Deep Purple MKV, after Tommy Bolin left, wasn't Coverdale Lord and Paice all in th eoriginal band? FOOL FOR YOUR LOVIN' was very Purple sounding, and I still like the original better than the remake.
            "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
            R. Blackmore

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
              You coul dmake an argument that the original WHITESNAKE was actually Deep Purple MKV, after Tommy Bolin left, wasn't Coverdale Lord and Paice all in th eoriginal band?
              No, Paice & Lord didn't join up straight away...

Comment

• Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
                No, Paice & Lord didn't join up straight away...
                Exactly. Purple disbanded in 1976 and the first version of Whitesnake was created in 1978. Jon Lord joined the third version of the band and recorded the first album ("Trouble") with them, and Paice joined the band about a year later for the recording of "Lovehunter".
                Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies don’t use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of “Dehumanizer”.
                "Black Sabbath : la Bête venue de Birmingham"

Comment

• Originally posted by Gardener View Post
                  Exactly. Purple disbanded in 1976 and the first version of Whitesnake was created in 1978. Jon Lord joined the third version of the band and recorded the first album ("Trouble") with them, and Paice joined the band about a year later for the recording of "Lovehunter".
                  "Ready an' Willing" was actually the first album Paice played on. It was Dave Dowle on "Lovehunter", but he was replaced by Paice before the album got released.
                  >>TECHNICIÄNS ÖF SPÅCE
                  SHIP EÅRTH THIS IS
                  YÖÜR CÄPTÅIN SPEÄKING
                  YÖÜR ØÅPTÅIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

• My second backorder arrived yesterday...

ZZ Top
                    - First Album
                    - Rio Grande Mud
                    - Tres Hombres (2006 remaster)
                    - Fandango! (2006 remaster)
                    - Tejas
                    - Degüello
                    - El Loco

All items for just 6,95/album, no postage costs...

Today's visit at one of the local flea markets was again worthwhile...

Europe
                    - The Final Countdown (old CD print)

Kilpi
                    - II Taso (special edition with DVD)

8,50 total...

Comment

• Today's visit at another local flea market was a pleasure...

Motörhead - Ace Of Spades Classic Albums DVD

5 €
                      Last edited by Sabbathman; 01-25-2010, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Rush - Grace Under Pressure
                        http://www.last.fm/user/MusicFan91

Comment

• Levon Helm - Electric Dirt

Comment

• Steve Hackett - Please Don't Touch
                            Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
                            Opeth - Blackwater Park

...can't remember if I already posted the Opeth album...

Comment

• On Order -
                              Jorn - Live In America

On Pre-Order -
                              Blaze Bayley - Promise & Terror
                              Charred Walls of the Damned - S/T
                              Overkill - Ironbound
                              Gamma Ray - To The Metal

or me "Whitesnake" (to give 1987 it's proper name) marked the second step down a long slippery staircase for Coverdale & Whitesnake... "Slide It In" being the first with the appalling "Slow And Easy" & "Spit It Out".

Even so I think Trouble was a low point in Coverdale's early post DP career. I loved "Northwinds" and "Snakebite" but "Trouble" just lacked a little magic despite DC being in fine form.

I loved the "Lovehunter"/ "Ready & Willing"/"Come An Get It" trilogy... loathed "Saints & Sinners" apart from the infinitely superior original "Here I Go Again' & "Crying In The Rain"... thought the non Sykes "Slide It In" was solid but the Zep influences were getting to strong... The "Whitesnake" album had a moment or two, especially "Looking For Love"... and "Slip Of The Tongue" was a fucking dead dog from start to finish. "Restless Heart" was even worse.
                              I can't comment on "Slide It In", "Slip of the Tongue", "Restless Heart" or "Come 'An Get It " as I have not heard them but I find "Trouble" to be enjoyable (except for the cover of "Day Tripper" ) - more so with the bonus tracks from the "Snakebite EP". I also rate "Lovehunter/Ready & Willing" highly along with the "Live In The Heart Of The City".
                              "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."
                              - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”
                              —Albert Einstein --- To Paul Plaut, October 23, 1928. AEA 28–065

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
                              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
                                Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young To Die!
                                Jethro Tull - Rock Island
                                Fleetwood Mac - Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
                                HolyHell - HolyHell
                                http://www.last.fm/user/MusicFan91

Comment

Working...
                                X