Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wall 666 View Post
    Whitesnake - Come An' Get It
    I love both CD editions of that album, be it the original CD print or the professionally remastered reissue (Peter Mew w/ Abbey Road). A great album full of classy songs. The album artwork is not only a fantastic painting in technical terms (I just love that kind of painting style), but also the idea of the snake first being trapped inside the glass apple (of temptations) and then having broken through the glass and slithered somewhere...beautiful!

My favourite of that album is "Don't Break My Heart Again". Someone could think that this song is simple in structure & rhythm, but it's far from that! A song that really demands precision and poignancy from all instruments (not too slow and not too fast, but punchy prowess all around), the surging pulse that makes your heart beat in sequence with the song. The guitar solo, uuh...Jon Lord's Hammond waves behind the whole thing...wow, it gives me shivers of even writing about this!

Also Hit An' Run, Child Of Babylon, Hot Stuff and Lonely Days, Lonely Nights...some of the best of the 'Snake!!!
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post
      Don't Break My Heart Again"
      Great song... Shame the current line-up completely fucking massacre it!

Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post
      Also Hit An' Run, Child Of Babylon, Hot Stuff and Lonely Days, Lonely Nights...some of the best of the 'Snake!!!
      Indeed. To This day, the Come An' Get It tour remains my favorite Whitesnake live experience...

Comment

• Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
        Great song... Shame the current line-up completely fucking massacre it!.
        This song is one of the pivotal & essential Whitesnake songs for me and the "pulse" I was talking about is the key element of the song in my mind. And I also need real Hammond sound to the background - or at least as similarly synthesized Hammond-ish sound as possible. The bass drum and the snare must have an in-your-face punch all over the song!!! And any over-playing on behalf of the drummer messes up the whole idea - technical prowess & show-offs should never overstep the intention and spirit of the song.

As I watched the Whitesnake DVD Live...In The Still Of The Night, I couldn't even recognize this song at first because of the right kind of "pulse" wasn't there, not to mention the synthesizer keyboard sound which was far different than Jon's original wall of sound...

Of course I was kind of hoping to hear this song live myself while attending 2 Whitesnake concerts in Finland back in 2008...maybe it's better they didn't play it, this song has sacred elements within it and should not be, as you said, massacred. One small cover band, called White Shade Of Purple, made a pretty good job playing this song last fall in my hometown. The drummer had the right kind of punchiness in his playing and the keyboardist - while using some small keyboard set that I couldn't even recognize - knew how to dig enough Hammond-ish sound from it. Also the singer had good qualities in his voice on those 2 consecutive nights. It was a pleasure.

Comment

• Dark ~ Anonymous Days

The second album by Dark, released in 1996 - 24 years after their debut!

http://www.myspace.com/darkfan72
          >>TECHNICIÄNS ÖF SPÅCE
          SHIP EÅRTH THIS IS
          YÖÜR CÄPTÅIN SPEÄKING
          YÖÜR ØÅPTÅIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Motörhead

- Motörhead (with 5 bonus tracks)
            - Sacrifice
            - Snakebite Love

Uriah Heep
            - Very 'eavy...Very 'umble (Sanctuary 2004)
            - Look At Your Self (Sanctuary 2004)
            - Demons And Wizards (Sanctuary 2004)
            I got all three Motörhead albums today, the Uriah Heep albums Very 'eavy...Very 'umble and Look At Your Self arrived as well. While I made this order, I checked the stock availability first. Nevertheless, the album Demons And Wizards turned out to be out of stock after all, so I switched the pre-paid sum to the album Return To Fantasy which they already sent.

Since I was planning to buy some more Uriah Heep albums later (when the stocks allow it again), I couldn't resist of taking the advantage of using my stamp card discount of 17 euros. So I made another order, even though they didn't seem to have these albums in their stocks at this moment:

Uriah Heep
            - Salisbury (Sanctuary 2004)
            - The Magician's Birthday (Sanctuary 2004)

--> They actually had The Magician's Birthday in their stock after all, so they sent it already...along with something that I've been looking for a while for a decent price:

Deep Purple
            - Live In California '74 DVD

So, after the 17 euro discount, this 3 CD & DVD package cost me only 26,50 so that was something I couldn't resist...
            Last edited by Sabbathman; 03-18-2010, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Uriah Heep

- Salisbury (Sanctuary 2004)
              - The Magician's Birthday (Sanctuary 2004)

Deep Purple
              - Live In California '74 DVD
              Now, only the album "Salisbury" is still to be delivered later. I made an addition to the back order so I'll save any further postage costs:

Iced Earth
              - Something Wicked This Way Comes (remastered with bonus tracks) for 18,90 euros...the price range of this item at my regular stores is from 17,90 to 19,90...

--------------------------------------

Yesterday I visited the local record shop where my friend works:

Iced Earth
              - The Dark Saga
              - Horror Show

totalling just 19,80 euros!

Comment

• ZZ Top - Mescalero

Scorpions - Sting In The Tail

On a side note, the new 'Saint album (La Raza) is fantastic. More of a Rock direction than previous work but cool for it. Bush is on top form and it is good to hear him on record again.

Also Whitesnake's Come An' Get It is very good on first listen, especially Till The Day I Die, Come An' Get It and Don't Break My Heart Again. Top marks to 'Top's Rio Grande Mud, it is a great album and I don't think it is the one with the "'80's Drums" though having never heard the original I couldn't verify that nor would I want to - ignorance in this case is bliss.
                Last edited by Wall 666; 03-23-2010, 05:03 PM.
                "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."
                - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”
                —Albert Einstein --- To Paul Plaut, October 23, 1928. AEA 28–065

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
                Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Also Whitesnake's Come An' Get It is very good on first listen, especially Till The Day I Die, Come An' Get It and Don't Break My Heart Again.
                  Child Of Babylon is my favorite... EPIC!

Comment

• Child Of Babylon is my favorite... EPIC!
                    Having had chance to spin the album again, I would have to agree that this is a great track. So far (after 3 partial listens) the album seems to be very consistant in quality terms. Shame this line-up didn't last longer really.
                    "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."
                    - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”
                    —Albert Einstein --- To Paul Plaut, October 23, 1928. AEA 28–065

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
                    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Having had chance to spin the album again, I would have to agree that this is a great track. So far (after 3 partial listens) the album seems to be very consistant in quality terms. Shame this line-up didn't last longer really.
                      The era of Love Hunter, Ready & Willing & Come an' Get It was the height of Whitesnake's career for me... Those albums & the tours that accompanied them were a joy to behold. Things started to slide with Saints & Sinners. They've not been the same since, though Good To Be Bad was a small step in the right direction.

On topic, a friend just gave sent me a ridiculously packaged special edition of the Avett Brothers record.

Comment

Iced Earth

- Something Wicked This Way Comes (remastered with bonus tracks)
                        Got this today, it's a regular CD with the original artwork and booklet but housed in a nice-looking miniature LP gatefold packaging, the booklet is placed inside the left sleeve, the CD is first placed within a separate cardboard sleeve or its own and then inside the right sleeve of the gatefold. The packaging is bound by a detachable cardboard belt. The packaging is somewhat bigger than regular CD digipacks, so it won't fit into regular CD case slots...I'll place it into my storage shelf, coupled with the Box Of The Wicked coming out next month.

---------------------------

Yesterday I reserved one copy of Iced Earth's Days Of Purgatory 2 CD collection from a record store in Tampere, gonna get it next Wednesday when I go to Tampere to see H.R. Giger's exhibition and Tarot's live concert.

Comment

• The new Dream Evil--In the Night
                          And if the sun never shined on us, the night time has fruit of the vine High on Fire-Brother in the Wind

Comment

• Asia - Omega (pre-order)
                            Judas Priest - British Steel Legacy Edition (pre-order)
                            Opeth - Blackwater Park
                            Opeth - Damnation
                            Opeth - Deliverance
                            Opeth - Lamentations (Live at Shepherd's Bush Empire 2003)
                            Yes - The Yes Album
                            http://www.last.fm/user/MusicFan91

Comment

• Had to make the pre-order now, just to be sure...

Judas Priest
                              - British Steel Legacy Edition 2CD & DVD (12th of May)

Iced Earth
                              - Box Of The Wicked 5CD (14th of April)

Comment

when I go to Tampere to see H.R. Giger's exhibition and Tarot's live concert.
                                Now that sounds like an excellent day. I would love to see both these events.

Comment

Working...
                                X