Cliff Burton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cliff Burton

Cheers to the Major Rager on the 4 string Muther F*cker !!!!

It was 21 years ago today he left us.

Raise a glass of whatever gets you through the day - in his honnor!

The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Re: Cliff Burton

I first heard of Cliff's passing through a radio station in Detroit.

I rang up my friend who managed a record store and he hadn't heard anything about it, so he called up his wholesaler and confirmed it.

I was stunned. I'd been a Metallica fan ever since I got the original Megaforce issue of Kill 'Em All back in '83. I still like everything up to and including the "Black Album." I also had the original Megaforce (pre-Elektra) Ride The Lightning and KEA pressed on a Canadian label called Banzai, as well as the "Creeping Death"/"Am I Evil"/"Blitzkrieg" on blue vinyl. The later stuff just doesn't interest me.

I wrote his parents a letter of condolence.

Great bass player and great songwriter.

He was irreplaceable, but it doesn't justify Metallica treating Jason Newsted like shit for most of the time he was in that band.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

RIP bud, you made the massive bass lines and even fooled me on the intro of "For Whom The Bell Tolls". Bravo, may you rock always for the ages.
      "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Cliff's time with Metallica will always be my personal favorite out of any Metallica era.

From Pulling Teeth, to For Whom the Bell Tolls, to Orion, he never fails to amaze. I think he's one of the most powerful, memorable, and innovative bass player's I've ever heard, and I thank him for the music he's brought us during his time in Metallica. RIP, Cliff.

Comment

Metallica is one of the few bands that can say when a member of theirs departed, no matter the reason, they ceased to truly be.

When Cliff Burton died so did Metallica, sure they've had good songs here and there, but there is no Metallica without Cliff, but I don't need to write that, listen for yourself.

An awesome player whom is still missed, some 21 years later.

Comment

I remembered what today was. I wore my t-shirt that has that same picture with the words CLIFF EM ALL under it.

When a man lies he kills a part of the world...
            So live for today
            Tomorrow never comes

Comment

I think I'm going to listen to To Live Is To Die, right now.

Comment

^ It's In My Darkest Hour for me, Dave Mustaine wrote it when he found out Cliff past away.
                "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Originally Posted By: Ashley Dalby there is no Metallica without Cliff, but I don't need to write that, listen for yourself.
                  I disagree, in my opinion AJFA is one of the best Metallica albums.
                  Same thing goes when it comes to Black Sabbath: They did not die when Ozzy was fired.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Ashley Dalby Metallica is one of the few bands that can say when a member of theirs departed, no matter the reason, they ceased to truly be.

When Cliff Burton died so did Metallica, sure they've had good songs here and there, but there is no Metallica without Cliff, but I don't need to write that, listen for yourself.

An awesome player whom is still missed, some 21 years later.

Very well put. I agree with every word.
                    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Originally Posted By: 8bit Fighter ^ It's In My Darkest Hour for me, Dave Mustaine wrote it when he found out Cliff past away.
                      are you sure?...I just read the lyrics and it sounded like it was about an ex

RIP Cliff
                      The time it is coming when all life will end,
                      With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
                      Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
                      The future has ended before it's begun.

Comment

No I'm pretty sure he wrote it after he found out, Behind The Music asked him the question and he said yes. And sometimes lyrics can have different meanings, MTV thought it was about suicide. The lyrics don't necessarily have to be about Cliff, but the music side of it, Dave wrote it because that's what he did at the time to cope for Cliff.

Comment

Originally Posted By: 8bit Fighter No I'm pretty sure he wrote it after he found out, Behind The Music asked him the question and he said yes. And sometimes lyrics can have different meanings, MTV thought it was about suicide. The lyrics don't necessarily have to be about Cliff, but the music side of it, Dave wrote it because that's what he did at the time to cope for Cliff.
                          In My Darkest Hour's lyrics are about how Mustaine was feeling after he found out Cliff died, as far as I remember.

Originally Posted By: Niklas
                          Originally Posted By: Ashley Dalby there is no Metallica without Cliff, but I don't need to write that, listen for yourself.
                          I disagree, in my opinion AJFA is one of the best Metallica albums.
                          Same thing goes when it comes to Black Sabbath: They did not die when Ozzy was fired.
                          Justice was an amazing album, my favorite album with Metallica, actually, but that's about the last remotely-decent album Metallica put out, I feel.

When Cliff died, I think he sorta took the band's creative force with him. They had the juices left for one more good album, and that was it.

Comment

RE: Darkest Hour -

Yeah that was inspired by Cliff. I went to see Megadeth live for the first time Nov of 87. This might've been their first show in Northern Cal since the accident that took Cliff. They played 2 or 3 songs that would show up on So Far So Good, and Darkest Hour was one of them. Before that song Dave brought Cliffs parents up on stage & asked for a cheer for Cliff.

Anyway lets not make this a Justice For All is good or bad thread. Justice has little to do with Burton or his amazing abilities.

Comment

He was a great inspiration 2 all us bassists RIP
                              "Just remember love is life and hate is living death" - A National Acrobat

http://flummoxed.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X