Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The CHILDREN OF BODOM Discussion Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CHILDREN OF BODOM Discussion Thread.

<span style="color: #666666">(Yeah, I know, there was an old CoB thread here. But it didn't really get many replies. So I've decided to start a new one, with YouTube links, so people unfamiliar with the band can weigh their opinions.)</span>

I gotta be honest here; Bodom is one of my absolute favorite bands. I love everything about them; I love the melodies, how well Alexi and Janne complement each other during their dual guitar/keyboard solos, everything.

I first got into them about two years ago, when a friend of mine first showed me a couple songs that he'd just downloaded. Those songs were Hate Me and Mask of Sanity, both off of the Follow the Reaper album. I liked them, but I wasn't really paying much attention, as me and him were both playing a couple games of Magic at the time.

Later that day, I went home and ended up downloading the whole album, for further listening. I was enthralled. I just couldn't stop listening, it was magical. Hell, to this day, Follow the Reaper <span style="color: #666666">(as well as the previous album Hatebreeder, to a lesser extent)</span> remains one of my favorite metal albums ever.

So naturally, I want to share this band with everyone else on the board; hopefully it'll start some discussion on the band, and maybe we can get a few new fans. So I've posted YouTube links to some of my favorite songs, one from each album.

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Deadnight Warrior (From the 1997 debut album Something Wild)
    Downfall (From the 1999 album Hatebreeder)
    Everytime I Die (From the 2001 album Follow the Reaper)
    Angels Don't Kill (From the 2003 album Hate Crew Deathroll)
    In Your Face (From the 2005 album Are You Dead Yet)
    Hate Me (From the 2006 live album Stockholm Knockout)
    Banned From Heaven (From the upcoming album Blooddrunk)</span>

Fans, non-fans, and newbies alike, discuss your opinions on the band.

The CHILDREN OF BODOM Discussion Thread.

<span style="color: #666666">(Yeah, I know, there was an old CoB thread here. But it didn't really get many replies. So I've decided to start a new one, with YouTube links, so people unfamiliar with the band can weigh their opinions.)</span>

I gotta be honest here; Bodom is one of my absolute favorite bands. I love everything about them; I love the melodies, how well Alexi and Janne complement each other during their dual guitar/keyboard solos, everything.

I first got into them about two years ago, when a friend of mine first showed me a couple songs that he'd just downloaded. Those songs were Hate Me and Mask of Sanity, both off of the Follow the Reaper album. I liked them, but I wasn't really paying much attention, as me and him were both playing a couple games of Magic at the time.

Later that day, I went home and ended up downloading the whole album, for further listening. I was enthralled. I just couldn't stop listening, it was magical. Hell, to this day, Follow the Reaper <span style="color: #666666">(as well as the previous album Hatebreeder, to a lesser extent)</span> remains one of my favorite metal albums ever.

So naturally, I want to share this band with everyone else on the board; hopefully it'll start some discussion on the band, and maybe we can get a few new fans. So I've posted YouTube links to some of my favorite songs, one from each album.

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Deadnight Warrior (From the 1997 debut album Something Wild)
    Downfall (From the 1999 album Hatebreeder)
    Everytime I Die (From the 2001 album Follow the Reaper)
    Angels Don't Kill (From the 2003 album Hate Crew Deathroll)
    In Your Face (From the 2005 album Are You Dead Yet)
    Hate Me (From the 2006 live album Stockholm Knockout)
    Banned From Heaven (From the upcoming album Blooddrunk)</span>

Fans, non-fans, and newbies alike, discuss your opinions on the band.

Comment

Re: The CHILDREN OF BODOM Discussion Thread.

I will definately check them out sometime. I have got 1 or 2 songs by them knocking about somewhere (I know one of the songs is called 'Black Widow'). They don't sound too bad from what i've heard.

I like some of Cradle Of Filth from what i've heard of them, and i've noticed a few similarities between the two bands from the fairly limited resources I have at my disposal. I'm just wondering if there are any definate similarities over a wider range of both of these bands' music?

Comment

I will definately check them out sometime. I have got 1 or 2 songs by them knocking about somewhere (I know one of the songs is called 'Black Widow'). They don't sound too bad from what i've heard.

I like some of Cradle Of Filth from what i've heard of them, and i've noticed a few similarities between the two bands from the fairly limited resources I have at my disposal. I'm just wondering if there are any definate similarities over a wider range of both of these bands' music?

Comment

Originally Posted By: M Williams I will definately check them out sometime. I have got 1 or 2 songs by them knocking about somewhere (I know one of the songs is called 'Black Widow'). They don't sound too bad from what i've heard.

I've only heard a couple Cradle of Filth songs, but to me it sounds like power/speed metal with black metal influences. Bodom's earlier stuff <span style="color: #666666">(ie, anything off of the first three albums)</span>, is very similar in this regard.

If you're looking for an album-by-album comparison of the band's sound throughout their career, the YouTube links above, are a good illustration I feel. Worth checking out.

Also, here's a brief description below, so you can choose the album that you feel you might like the most.
          <ul>[*]<span style="color: #993300">Something Wild</span> - The most "eccentric" of all the albums. Contains massive neo-classical elements <span style="color: #666666">(ie: lots of strings and organs, and borrows some parts from classical pieces)</span>, lots of odd song structures, and has a lot of Black Metal influences.[*]<span style="color: #33CC00">Hatebreeder</span> - The Black Metal sound is still there, but the neo-classicism has faded somewhat. Focuses on pure, fast metal. This is the album that "Black Widow" is on.[*]<span style="color: #3366FF">Follow the Reaper</span> - Keyboards are the most prominent on this album. Lots of awesome melodies and keyboard solos. Mainly, it's filled to the brim with some solid melodic metal.[*]<span style="color: #CC0000">Hate Crew Deathroll</span> - Easily the most "upbeat" sounding of all the albums. Keyboards take the backseat as guitar takes hold as the prominent instrument again. Contains some Industrial elements.[*]<span style="color: #33CCCC">Are You Dead Yet</span> - Pure Thrash all the way. Songs are filled with raw, brutal emotion, but the album contains the most slow, chuggy songs out of all of them.[/list]

Comment

I think they're pretty good, but for some reason I don't listen to them much. My favorite album is Follow the Reaper, least favorite is Hate Crew Death Roll.
            Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

Told you this would gonna work
              Can't you see what I see
              You and I victims of Their word
              As the master of power
              Try to poison our world
              ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

Buttock, as you must be aware by now, I'm never been too hot on 'melodic' metal. Of course, some of the most consistently and highly brutal and technical metal bands use 'melodic' elements in their songs and albums, but when we fans use terms like 'melodic-DM' and such, we all know what we are approximately referring to. A majority of my most-loved metal bands have, not surprisingly, been minimally melodic in overall sound and style.

CoB is a band that I have sampled enough to know that I'm mostly a non-fan. In any case, there are very few black metal bands I genuinely enjoy greatly, for various reasons. CoB, as I pointed out in another thread recently, has been a predominantly modern black metal band that I honestly find excessively progressive and melodic (and promiscuously experimental), for my own tastes.

There's no mistaking the band members' considerable talents or denying that what they do musically takes a lot of conviction and sheer artistic virtuosity. Yet, I just cannot connect too warmly with a band that so whole-heartedly embraces melodicism and delivers their metal via way too much keyboards, synths, organs, strings (at the sad expense of a much more rampant, ruthless guitar-driven assault) and a neo-classicist, overly melodic bent that never fail to annoy and bore me to distraction.

The only CoB album I might still wanna listen to occasionally is Are You Dead Yet. To me, that record has got more of a straight-up, no-frills, aggressive attitude and an underground vibe about it that I find all their prior albums never went anywhere remotely near in pulling off, in the studio, or on stage. I just think that a lot of avid CoB fans today might, sooner or later, find that they actually like some other similar, CoB-related bands, a whole lot more.
                "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

CoB Are freaking great i have all theyr albums,Bed Of Razors has to be my favorite song right now.
                  R.I.P. Ronald Padavona,Ronnie James Dio,DIO,Legend.

Comment

I saw these guys in concert and found them extremely boring. My friends, though, were greatly impressed by them.

Comment

Originally Posted By: VikingChrist I saw these guys in concert and found them extremely boring. My friends, though, were greatly impressed by them.
                      I find them to be rather boring too. Pretty run-off-the-mill melo death with really bad keyboards.
                      http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Children of the Bodom, never heard of there songs but looks like I have to check them out since there playing at Gigantour. Thanks for the links buttock!!!!
                        Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

Comment

Originally Posted By: Sir Kenneth
                          Originally Posted By: VikingChrist I saw these guys in concert and found them extremely boring. My friends, though, were greatly impressed by them.
                          I find them to be rather boring too. Pretty run-off-the-mill melo death with really bad keyboards.
                          Yes, see, that's what I thought, but my friends thought the keyboard player was awesome. He soloed a lot, and maybe that's why they like him. I noticed that guiarist/singer did a lot of silly posing on stage, which doesn't make them better or worse, but I just found it silly. Melodic death metal just is not my thing.

Comment

Originally Posted By: VikingChrist Yes, see, that's what I thought, but my friends thought the keyboard player was awesome. He soloed a lot, and maybe that's why they like him.
                            Well, I don't like Janne because of the fact that he solos a lot, but rather I happen to like the way the keyboards work within each of the songs, myself, in tandem with the guitars, drums, etc. I think Janne brings a nice, atmospheric quality to the band, and (most of) the solos he writes for the band are pure gold.

However, I can see where you're coming from. I guess not liking melo-death in general, might explain why you don't like the band; CoB really does take the "melodic" part to the extreme.

Originally Posted By: RLP4ever The only CoB album I might still wanna listen to occasionally is Are You Dead Yet. To me, that record has got more of a straight-up, no-frills, aggressive attitude and an underground vibe about it that I find all their prior albums never went anywhere remotely near in pulling off, in the studio, or on stage.
                            True, I can see why Are You Dead Yet might be your favorite. The lack of keyboards, coupled with the simple song structures, and the extreme attitude, makes for their most thrash-influenced album yet.

Oddly enough though, that's one album I never fully got into. I enjoy it more than the incredibly upbeat-sounding Hate Crew Deathroll (aside from 1 or 2 songs), but it's still nowhere near my favorite.

Originally Posted By: RLP4ever I just think that a lot of avid CoB fans today might, sooner or later, find that they actually like some other similar, CoB-related bands, a whole lot more.
                            I dunno. The reason I like CoB is because they're so different from other melo-death bands, because they take the keyboard and melodic elements to the extreme. Not to say I don't enjoy other melodic DM (as you already know), but CoB is more than likely, always going to be my favorite melo-death band.

Comment

i like melodic death metal, but not CoB....go figure.

just not my style

Comment

Working...
                              X