DOOM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DOOM!

Originally Posted By: Gardener I'm not a huge Doom fan myself but one band I enjoy from time to time that hasn't been mentioned yet is Reverend Bizarre. It's heavy and really theatrical, with thick dark atmospheres. My only grief would be the length of the tracks. These guys seem unable to make songs shorter than 12 minutes and it tends to become boring after a while.
    Aside from Cirith Ungol from their first album, a lot of their last album was the biggest example of this problem.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

Originally Posted By: racer
      Originally Posted By: thehodge My Dying bride!
      Crowbar!
      Cathedral!
      the sword!

im still to get into candlemass and others like early anathema and pentagram i love it!
      I like My Dying Bride ... sort of like "vampire metal." I've got the ...I forget the title ... something about the Sun
      Like Gods of the sun! mate thats an awesome album, on of my first albums i bought, and yeah Aaron has a tendency to lean towards the blood themed songs, altho not gory tho, on of the best bands to come out of your country mate!
      SDMF - CEMS for life!

Comment

Originally Posted By: racer
        Originally Posted By: thehodge My Dying bride!
        Crowbar!
        Cathedral!
        the sword!

im still to get into candlemass and others like early anathema and pentagram i love it!
        I like My Dying Bride ... sort of like "vampire metal." I've got the ...I forget the title ... something about the Sun
        Like Gods of the sun! mate thats an awesome album, on of my first albums i bought, and yeah Aaron has a tendency to lean towards the blood themed songs, altho not gory tho, on of the best bands to come out of your country mate!
        SDMF - CEMS for life!

Comment

Originally Posted By: Franklin I have been listening to Trouble nonstop the last two weeks and they are awesome. The two albums I have are Psalm 9 and The Skull. I plan to buy other Trouble albums as soon as possible. Plastic Green Head and Simple Mind Condition are being re-released later this month and I will buy those. I'd like to get Trouble and Manic Frustration but I may have to wait for re-releases on those two.
          You'll be waiting a long time for those. American Records owns that rights and hasn't shown much interest in doing anything with them.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Franklin I have been listening to Trouble nonstop the last two weeks and they are awesome. The two albums I have are Psalm 9 and The Skull. I plan to buy other Trouble albums as soon as possible. Plastic Green Head and Simple Mind Condition are being re-released later this month and I will buy those. I'd like to get Trouble and Manic Frustration but I may have to wait for re-releases on those two.
            You'll be waiting a long time for those. American Records owns that rights and hasn't shown much interest in doing anything with them.

Comment

I love a lot of Stoner Metal/traditional doom (the most Sabbath-esque sounding stuff), but I'm a fan of some sludge and more extreme doom bands, too.

My List:

Saint Vitus
              Electric Wizard
              Cathedral
              Pentagram
              Kyuss
              Sleep
              Om
              Eyehategod
              Grief
              Candlemass
              Trouble
              Witchfinder General
              The Hidden Hand
              Spirit Caravan
              The Obsessed
              Winter
              Khanate
              Sunn-0)))
              Boris
              Down
              The Melvins

Comment

I love a lot of Stoner Metal/traditional doom (the most Sabbath-esque sounding stuff), but I'm a fan of some sludge and more extreme doom bands, too.

My List:

Saint Vitus
                Electric Wizard
                Cathedral
                Pentagram
                Kyuss
                Sleep
                Om
                Eyehategod
                Grief
                Candlemass
                Trouble
                Witchfinder General
                The Hidden Hand
                Spirit Caravan
                The Obsessed
                Winter
                Khanate
                Sunn-0)))
                Boris
                Down
                The Melvins

Comment

I've gone through phases of being into "doom."

Probably my biggest was when I first heard Candlemass' Nightfall. I bought that and then Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and Ancient Dreams. I don't have any of them right now.

My favourite is probably Trouble. I still have Psalm 9 on CD. I've seen The Skull reissue (extra tracks, etc) at a music shop over in Canada. I'm going over there later today so I may see if they still have it.

Some may not class these as "doom" but I think Sabbath's Born Again and Priest's Sad Wings Of Destiny fit the bill.
                  He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

I've gone through phases of being into "doom."

Probably my biggest was when I first heard Candlemass' Nightfall. I bought that and then Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and Ancient Dreams. I don't have any of them right now.

My favourite is probably Trouble. I still have Psalm 9 on CD. I've seen The Skull reissue (extra tracks, etc) at a music shop over in Canada. I'm going over there later today so I may see if they still have it.

Some may not class these as "doom" but I think Sabbath's Born Again and Priest's Sad Wings Of Destiny fit the bill.
                    He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

dont like any of it, sorry

Comment

dont like any of it, sorry

Comment

Well, I've only just gotten into doom over the past three or four months thanks to Cnadlemass' King of the Grey Islands which I bought out of curiousity after reading an article on the band, a live review and an album review for KOTGI and I have rarely discovered a band I can get into so quickly and enjoy so much.

So my fave doom bands are simply Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus.

As far as "stoner" bands go, I enjoy Monster Magnet and Orange Goblin.
                          "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."
                          - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”
                          —Albert Einstein --- To Paul Plaut, October 23, 1928. AEA 28–065

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
                          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Well, I've only just gotten into doom over the past three or four months thanks to Cnadlemass' King of the Grey Islands which I bought out of curiousity after reading an article on the band, a live review and an album review for KOTGI and I have rarely discovered a band I can get into so quickly and enjoy so much.

So my fave doom bands are simply Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus.

As far as "stoner" bands go, I enjoy Monster Magnet and Orange Goblin.
                            "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."
                            - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”
                            —Albert Einstein --- To Paul Plaut, October 23, 1928. AEA 28–065

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
                            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Can We say Tool is a doom band? they kindof have it...like a Stoner Prog Doom?
                              R.I.P. Ronald Padavona,Ronnie James Dio,DIO,Legend.

Comment

Originally Posted By: NoWayOut Can We say Tool is a doom band?
                                No, we can not. Tool is a fine band, but Doom they are not.

Comment

Working...
                                X