Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Official Hawkwind Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official Hawkwind Thread

Originally Posted By: Ady Have you heard Levitation, Franklin?

It's a fantastic album and has become one of my favourites over the past few weeks. Ginger Baker plays drums on it, I never knew that until fairly recently.

This is the second track, Motorway City: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siku4-qlN64
    I know I'm not Franklin, but I just recently heard Levitation for the first time... it's a fantastic album, I must agree.

Comment

Originally Posted By: SabbathSteve I know I'm not Franklin, but I just recently heard Levitation for the first time... it's a fantastic album, I must agree.
      Hey, no worries, I didn't realise you were new to it as well.

I was very lucky with Levitation. I think I mentioned on another thread that a friend of mine who emigrated gave me some Hawkwind CDs. Well, that album was one of them and it sells for over 20/$40 on eBay!

I also just came across this promo of World of Tiers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=092aE9HuAUA
      >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
      SHIP ERTH THIS IS
      YR CPTIN SPEKING
      YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

In the early 80's, I was actually a bigger fan of the newer era of Hawkwind (1977 to 1982) than the early era. I owned and liked Quark Strangeness & Charm, Live 79, Sonic Attack and Choose Your Masques. Levitation, however, slipped through the cracks. Remember, I was buying Hawkwind albums as I was finding them, and that didn't always allow for the purchase of all their albums, even immediately following their releases.

Live 79 was one of my very favorite albums (by Hawkwind or anyone else), and it included Motorway City. Motorway City was one of my very favorite Hawkwind songs at that time, though I had no idea that it was from an album called Levitation. The version that you linked to sounds very much like the Live 79 version. BTW, I never saw Live 79 in a record store on any other occastion than the one where I bought it. I was fortunate to have had money to buy it when I saw it.
        How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
        --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

In the early 80's, I was actually a bigger fan of the newer era of Hawkwind (1977 to 1982) than the early era. I owned and liked Quark Strangeness & Charm, Live 79, Sonic Attack and Choose Your Masques. Levitation, however, slipped through the cracks. Remember, I was buying Hawkwind albums as I was finding them, and that didn't always allow for the purchase of all their albums, even immediately following their releases.

Live 79 was one of my very favorite albums (by Hawkwind or anyone else), and it included Motorway City. Motorway City was one of my very favorite Hawkwind songs at that time, though I had no idea that it was from an album called Levitation. The version that you linked to sounds very much like the Live 79 version. BTW, I never saw Live 79 in a record store on any other occastion than the one where I bought it. I was fortunate to have had money to buy it when I saw it.
          How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
          --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Among the weird Hawkwind goodies that I have in my possession is a version they did of the Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter, that is every bit the bizarre combo that you could imagine it would be. Contains all the weird space effects of Hawkwind along with the hard blues with harmonica that you would get from the Stones. Weirdest damn thing I ever heard, but fantastic.
            --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Among the weird Hawkwind goodies that I have in my possession is a version they did of the Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter, that is every bit the bizarre combo that you could imagine it would be. Contains all the weird space effects of Hawkwind along with the hard blues with harmonica that you would get from the Stones. Weirdest damn thing I ever heard, but fantastic.
              --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I was aware that Ginger Baker played drums with Hawkwind, though apparently not on the albums I owned. Speaking of old Cream guys, Jack Bruce played with Robin Trower on the BLT (B stood for Bruce, not bacon) album. I know SabbathSteve is a Trower fan. It's worth checking out.
                --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I was aware that Ginger Baker played drums with Hawkwind, though apparently not on the albums I owned. Speaking of old Cream guys, Jack Bruce played with Robin Trower on the BLT (B stood for Bruce, not bacon) album. I know SabbathSteve is a Trower fan. It's worth checking out.
                  --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

One last thing: I'm with SabbathSteve on Psychedelic Warlords. Love that song. One of their best.
                    --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

One last thing: I'm with SabbathSteve on Psychedelic Warlords. Love that song. One of their best.
                      --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally Posted By: Franklin In the early 80's, I was actually a bigger fan of the newer era of Hawkwind (1977 to 1982) than the early era. I owned and liked Quark Strangeness & Charm, Live 79, Sonic Attack and Choose Your Masques. Levitation, however, slipped through the cracks. Remember, I was buying Hawkwind albums as I was finding them, and that didn't always allow for the purchase of all their albums, even immediately following their releases.
                        I'm having trouble finding them at reasonable prices now. Sonic Attack is on a couple of sites for around 40 and it's the next one I need if I want to keep buying them chronologically. No way am I paying that much for a CD.

I thought about breaking my tradition of buying chronologically when Chronicle of the Black Sword appeared on eBay at 7. I've kept an eye on it and it's gone up to 27 with 7 hours left.

I wish that they'd get re-releases! It's a crime that albums like Quark & Levitation are OOP and it's just giving greedy bootleggers more opportunities to make money.

Quote: Live 79 was one of my very favorite albums (by Hawkwind or anyone else), and it included Motorway City. Motorway City was one of my very favorite Hawkwind songs at that time, though I had no idea that it was from an album called Levitation. The version that you linked to sounds very much like the Live 79 version. BTW, I never saw Live 79 in a record store on any other occastion than the one where I bought it. I was fortunate to have had money to buy it when I saw it.
                        Yeah, that's a great live album and another one that was given to me. There is also a double CD called Complete 79, which features a recording of an entire gig from the '79 tour. I saw it on eBay last night, but this review has put me off: http://www.starfarer.net/complete79.html
                        >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
                        SHIP ERTH THIS IS
                        YR CPTIN SPEKING
                        YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

I've never listened to Hawkwind. I will check out some of the links above.

I'm a huge huge life-time fan of Michael Moorcock, the author. I have been reading all his books over and over my whole life. (reading the Corum books for the 4th time right now)

I know he had or has something to do with Hawkwind, but I'm not too sure what it is or was.

Comment

I just listened to the title track from Levitation again... man oh man, that is a CLASSIC Hawkwind song. The chorus is so catchy, and the long spcaey instrumental portion is great as usual.

Oh, and I thought I'd mention that "Forge of Vulcan" from Quark Strangeness and Charm is such an amazing instrumental. I just love that spacey synthesizer riff that's repeated endlessly. It's perfect.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Charliep I've never listened to Hawkwind. I will check out some of the links above.

I'm a huge huge life-time fan of Michael Moorcock, the author. I have been reading all his books over and over my whole life. (reading the Corum books for the 4th time right now)

I know he had or has something to do with Hawkwind, but I'm not too sure what it is or was.
                              Being a fan of Moorcock is a good start!

This is a good article on his involvement with Hawkwind: http://www.novymir.com.au/terminalcafe/hawkwind.html
                              >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
                              SHIP ERTH THIS IS
                              YR CPTIN SPEKING
                              YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Originally Posted By: Ady Being a fan of Moorcock is a good start!

This is a good article on his involvement with Hawkwind: http://www.novymir.com.au/terminalcafe/hawkwind.html

Thank you! Music about my favorite stories... I will have to check this out.

Comment

Working...
                                X