Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Bruce Dickinson solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bruce Dickinson solo

1. Chemical Wedding (Maybe my fav metal album ever)
    2. Accident of Birth
    3. Tyranny of Souls
    4. Scream for me Brazil (a live album with the line up from Chemical Wedding and AoB). What a great live album!!!!!
    5. Balls to Picasso- It has "Tears of the dragon on it". Nough' said
    6. Tattoed Millionaire (I REALLY REALLY like this album. It's a lot of fun)
    7. Skunkworks (the only BD solo that I listen once on a blue moon to) Not that it's THAT bad but it's not my cup of tea.

Comment

Yes, Chemical Wedding is a phenomenal album! Tyranney and Accident are quite good as well. But Chemical Wedding is really, really good. I also agree that Tattood Millianaire is terrible; it sounds way too 80s. I really haven't given Skunkworks a good listen to, but Balls to Picasso is not bad either. But the real gem here is Chemical.

Comment

Yes, Chemical Wedding is a phenomenal album! Tyranney and Accident are quite good as well. But Chemical Wedding is really, really good. I also agree that Tattood Millianaire is terrible; it sounds way too 80s. I really haven't given Skunkworks a good listen to, but Balls to Picasso is not bad either. But the real gem here is Chemical.

Comment

Let's see how close this sounds to what El Lobo just wrote:

1. Chemical Wedding (maybe the best metal album ever and certainly as good as even the finest albums Iron Maiden ever produced)
          2. Accident of Birth (also as good as any albums Iron Maiden produced, and much better than what Iron Maiden produced during the 90's)
          3. Tyranny of Souls. I like this one a lot, but just a notch below the first two. Compared to Dance of Death and AMLOAD, it's safe to say Tyranny of Souls is easily better than what Iron Maiden produced during the 00's.

BTW, if you don't believe El Lobo's and my opinions of these albums, just go to www.rateyourmusic.com and see the public's ratings of these albums and compare them to Iron Maiden's albums over the same time period. We're NOT in the minority having these opinions.

4. Scream For Me Brazil, which now must be purchased as part of a set containing his three live albums, I think. By coincidence, I received a lot of live recordings recorded in Brazil for Christmas presents this year, and I really enjoy the Brazilian crowds.

That's all the Dickinson solo albums I own. I do enjoy the song Tears of the Dragon, which is on the Balls to Picasso album.
          How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
          --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Here's my top ten Bruce Dickinson songs:

1. Kill Devil Hill
            2. Back From The Edge
            3. King In Crimson
            4. The Tower
            5. Broken
            6. Navigate The Seas Of The Sun
            7. Gates Of Urizen
            8. Jerusalem
            9. Darkside Of Aquarius
            10. Starchildren

Comment

Originally Posted By: EvilCheese I enjoy most of Bruce's solo stuff more then most of Iron Maiden.

As far as the straight-forward metal, I'd rate them and recommend them in this order.

1. Chemical Wedding (which you did, congrats)
              2. Accident of Birth
              3. Tyranny of Souls

Tyranny is an okay album. It really grabbed me at first, but it lacks a certain substance that makes it worthwhile to come back to.

As for his other albums. I think Skunkworks is a good album, and a worthy purchase. His first two albums are a bit of a crapshoot imo
              I second this statement altoghether.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Cosmiceddie

1. Kill Devil Hill
                I think this song along mades Tyranny of sould worth it's price. This epic, emotional, colourful, cosmic, powerful, hypnotising song is maybe Bruce's highlight as a songwriter.

One of the finest songs ever created in this genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqxErKiZZhg

Tyranny of souls is an underated album just because it's so hard to be well received after the two mosters that AoB and CW are. But believe me, ToS is a beautiful album as well.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Cosmiceddie

1. Kill Devil Hill
                  I think this song along mades Tyranny of sould worth it's price. This epic, emotional, colourful, cosmic, powerful, hypnotising song is maybe Bruce's highlight as a songwriter.

One of the finest songs ever created in this genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqxErKiZZhg

Tyranny of souls is an underated album just because it's so hard to be well received after the two mosters that AoB and CW are. But believe me, ToS is a beautiful album as well.

Comment

Originally Posted By: El Lobo Tyranny of souls is an underated album just because it's so hard to be well received after the two mosters that AoB and CW are. But believe me, ToS is a beautiful album as well.
                    Another reasony why Tyranny of Souls could get lost in the shuffle is that seven years passed between the release of Chemical Wedding and Tyranny of Souls. Meanwhile, Bruce had gone on to record Brave New World and Dance of Death with Iron Maiden.

Tyranny is an essential recording for any fan of Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson.

Personally, I like the rocker Abduction, the mellower Navigate the Seas of the Sun and the epic title track a little more than Kill Devil Hill, though the latter is another awesome song too.
                    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                    --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally Posted By: El Lobo Tyranny of souls is an underated album just because it's so hard to be well received after the two mosters that AoB and CW are. But believe me, ToS is a beautiful album as well.
                      Another reasony why Tyranny of Souls could get lost in the shuffle is that seven years passed between the release of Chemical Wedding and Tyranny of Souls. Meanwhile, Bruce had gone on to record Brave New World and Dance of Death with Iron Maiden.

Tyranny is an essential recording for any fan of Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson.

Personally, I like the rocker Abduction, the mellower Navigate the Seas of the Sun and the epic title track a little more than Kill Devil Hill, though the latter is another awesome song too.
                      --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Navigate The Seas Of The Sun is a classic indeed. But the best one for me is River Of No Return. Perfect. Not counting the lyrics which are clever and meaningful as always. In fact, Bruce should write 95% of the lyrics on Maiden's next album.

Also, Skunkworks for me is the second most important album in Bruce's career 'cause it was a turning point on his person and on his voice. He covers a lot of different vocal ranges and performances on this album and maturity came to him exactly on this album. Tattooed Millionaire is great and Balls To Picasso has great moments, but the production makes it sound dull, opaque. My least favorite.

But with albums like Accident Of Birth, The Chemical Wedding and Tyranny Of Souls even a classic groundbreaking album like Skunkworks go down in the ranks.

Comment

Yeah, I like River of No Return a lot too. Sorry, forgot to mention it in my earlier post.
                          --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yeah, I like River of No Return a lot too. Sorry, forgot to mention it in my earlier post.
                            --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I just think that 'Kill Devil Hill' has one of the best choruses I've ever heard, it's awesome, it's out of this world and 'Back from the Edge' is utmost close behind it.

Comment

I just think that 'Kill Devil Hill' has one of the best choruses I've ever heard, it's awesome, it's out of this world and 'Back from the Edge' is utmost close behind it.

Comment

Working...
                                X