Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Bruce Dickinson solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Dickinson solo

Forgive me if this has already been brought up but what do you people think of Bruce Dickinson's solo records?

I've gotten The Chemical Wedding out of curiosity (given my recent Iron Maiden kick) and I have to say it's awesome, at least on par with the Maiden recording of the same year, Virtual XI.

Now, what other Dickinson albums are worth getting? I've heard some mixed reviews for the first 3 ones but mostly positive ones for Accident of Birth and the latest one, Tyranny of Souls.
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Re: Bruce Dickinson solo

Fantastic! Hope a new album due next year or in 2010. I enjoy some of his albums more than some Maiden albums.

Comment

Get Accident of Birth. I think it's fucking awesome.
      The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

I enjoy most of Bruce's solo stuff more then most of Iron Maiden.

As far as the straight-forward metal, I'd rate them and recommend them in this order.

1. Chemical Wedding (which you did, congrats)
        2. Accident of Birth
        3. Tyranny of Souls

Tyranny is an okay album. It really grabbed me at first, but it lacks a certain substance that makes it worthwhile to come back to.

As for his other albums. I think Skunkworks is a good album, and a worthy purchase. His first two albums are a bit of a crapshoot imo

Comment

I have the last 3 Dickinson solo albums and all three are great. I think they are far and away better than anything Maiden did in the 1990s. Bruce sounds good and the band it strong, but they don't sound like Iron Maiden part 2, which I think is a good thing. I haven't heard the "Skunkworks" album, but I've heard mixed things about it. I've heard songs off the first 2 and they are ok, but nothing special.

Comment

I have the last 3 Dickinson solo albums and all three are great. I think they are far and away better than anything Maiden did in the 1990s. Bruce sounds good and the band it strong, but they don't sound like Iron Maiden part 2, which I think is a good thing. I haven't heard the "Skunkworks" album, but I've heard mixed things about it. I've heard songs off the first 2 and they are ok, but nothing special.

Comment

Originally Posted By: EvilCheese His first two albums are a bit of a crapshoot imo
              Just a bit?
              The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

Originally Posted By: EvilCheese His first two albums are a bit of a crapshoot imo
                Just a bit?

Comment

Quote: Fantastic! Hope a new album due next year or in 2010. I enjoy some of his albums more than some Maiden albums.
                  Maiden's got more gigs in 2009 already planned in South America and Australia. Bruce really wants them to get on with writing the new album too - they do one every 3 years so it's due in 09, but apparently he's really pushing the idea now. 2010 is the time when it might happen, cuz I think their album will be late 09, album tour 2009/10, then take a break until the next history tour which is due sometime 2011.

However in 2007 Bruce DID sign a contract which allows for 3 new solo albums. He said he would consider writing songs for the film he did recently if appropriate (he didn't) and when he did Tyranny of Souls in 2005 he said it was not his last solo release.

I think Maiden's become so huge lately (3x size audience in 5 years) that he's focussing on that, but as the band slow down he will do more solo stuff.
                  http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
                  http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
                  http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Comment

Quote: Fantastic! Hope a new album due next year or in 2010. I enjoy some of his albums more than some Maiden albums.
                    Maiden's got more gigs in 2009 already planned in South America and Australia. Bruce really wants them to get on with writing the new album too - they do one every 3 years so it's due in 09, but apparently he's really pushing the idea now. 2010 is the time when it might happen, cuz I think their album will be late 09, album tour 2009/10, then take a break until the next history tour which is due sometime 2011.

However in 2007 Bruce DID sign a contract which allows for 3 new solo albums. He said he would consider writing songs for the film he did recently if appropriate (he didn't) and when he did Tyranny of Souls in 2005 he said it was not his last solo release.

I think Maiden's become so huge lately (3x size audience in 5 years) that he's focussing on that, but as the band slow down he will do more solo stuff.
                    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
                    http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
                    http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Comment

Normally I'm quite skeptical about solo albums and solo careers by lead singers from well known bands... more often than not they are unremarkable and the artist in question just struggles vainly to top his former band. I'm glad that Bruce Dickinson is not the case, at least not entirely (now, I've heard some pretty harsh things about both Tattooed Millionaire and Skunkworks...)

Comment

Normally I'm quite skeptical about solo albums and solo careers by lead singers from well known bands... more often than not they are unremarkable and the artist in question just struggles vainly to top his former band. I'm glad that Bruce Dickinson is not the case, at least not entirely (now, I've heard some pretty harsh things about both Tattooed Millionaire and Skunkworks...)

Comment

I actually like Balls to Picasso but it's only half good, Tattooed Millionaire and Skunkworks are terrible though.

Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are his best albums with Tyranny of souls falling just short compared to those 2.

Comment

I actually like Balls to Picasso but it's only half good, Tattooed Millionaire and Skunkworks are terrible though.

Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are his best albums with Tyranny of souls falling just short compared to those 2.

Comment

1. Chemical Wedding (Maybe my fav metal album ever)
                              2. Accident of Birth
                              3. Tyranny of Souls
                              4. Scream for me Brazil (a live album with the line up from Chemical Wedding and AoB). What a great live album!!!!!
                              5. Balls to Picasso- It has "Tears of the dragon on it". Nough' said
                              6. Tattoed Millionaire (I REALLY REALLY like this album. It's a lot of fun)
                              7. Skunkworks (the only BD solo that I listen once on a blue moon to) Not that it's THAT bad but it's not my cup of tea.

Comment

Working...
                              X