Nostradamus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nostradamus

I kind of dislike the synthed guitars, but its an awesome concept with great music and lyrics
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

I kind of dislike the synthed guitars, but its an awesome concept with great music and lyrics
      "I want to tell you, yeah
      How Good It Feels
      Sleeping here with you tonight
      And thatís for real"
      -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Comment

I'm a longtime fan of Priest, back to the <span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span> era. I don't think they've ever topped that one, nor are they likely to. That album is #2 on my Desert Island Discs, after <span style="font-style: italic">Heaven and Hell</span>.

I haven't heard it yet, but I plan on buying it.

Synthed guitars? Don't tell me they've gone back to 1986...

It's really hard to do a concept album and not have it sound ridiculous. I'm sure Rob Halford has worked hard on the storyline, he's intelligent and good with words (why he ever wrote shit like "Parental Guidance," "Private Property," and "Rock You All Around The World" I'll never know), but to make it all gell as a concept is difficult. I'm sure Rush, Queensryche, Dio and Blue Oyster Cult would agree on that one.
        He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

I'm a longtime fan of Priest, back to the <span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span> era. I don't think they've ever topped that one, nor are they likely to. That album is #2 on my Desert Island Discs, after <span style="font-style: italic">Heaven and Hell</span>.

I haven't heard it yet, but I plan on buying it.

Synthed guitars? Don't tell me they've gone back to 1986...

It's really hard to do a concept album and not have it sound ridiculous. I'm sure Rob Halford has worked hard on the storyline, he's intelligent and good with words (why he ever wrote shit like "Parental Guidance," "Private Property," and "Rock You All Around The World" I'll never know), but to make it all gell as a concept is difficult. I'm sure Rush, Queensryche, Dio and Blue Oyster Cult would agree on that one.

Comment

Originally Posted By: DiosSword I'm a longtime fan of Priest, back to the <span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span> era. I don't think they've ever topped that one, nor are they likely to. That album is #2 on my Desert Island Discs...
            Agreed on <span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span>, but I am a huge fan of <span style="font-style: italic">Stained Class</span> as well. I know a lot of people think it is overrated, but Priest was really on a creative roll during this period.

Comment

Originally Posted By: DiosSword I'm a longtime fan of Priest, back to the <span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span> era. I don't think they've ever topped that one, nor are they likely to. That album is #2 on my Desert Island Discs...
              Agreed on <span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span>, but I am a huge fan of <span style="font-style: italic">Stained Class</span> as well. I know a lot of people think it is overrated, but Priest was really on a creative roll during this period.

Comment

I won't say no to <span style="font-style: italic">Stained Class</span>. That has some gems on it, "Exciter," "Heroes End," "Saints In Hell" and of course "Beyond The Realms Of Death." I've never found it to be over-rated. I think it was a big influence on the emerging New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

<span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span> was the first Priest album I ever owned and it blew me away. I don't think they've ever equalled it. KK Downing once said that <span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">Screaming for Vengeance</span> "could have been one album," but I just don't see the comparison, not that I think <span style="font-style: italic">Screaming</span> is a bad album or anything like that.

Comment

I won't say no to <span style="font-style: italic">Stained Class</span>. That has some gems on it, "Exciter," "Heroes End," "Saints In Hell" and of course "Beyond The Realms Of Death." I've never found it to be over-rated. I think it was a big influence on the emerging New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

<span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span> was the first Priest album I ever owned and it blew me away. I don't think they've ever equalled it. KK Downing once said that <span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">Screaming for Vengeance</span> "could have been one album," but I just don't see the comparison, not that I think <span style="font-style: italic">Screaming</span> is a bad album or anything like that.

Comment

Judas Priest is great from Rocka Rolla up to Defenders Of The Faith, then Painkiller broke lodas of new ground for the band and for the style, and then Angel Of Retribution was a great comeback album.

The rest - Turbo, Ram It Down, Jugulator, Demolition and Nostradamus - all together give a cool 10 track compilation and nothing more, with Nostradamus and Demolixion being the ones with most bad stuff of the lot.

Comment

I think its a great album. Its something new and fresh, especially with the large use of keyboards. Priest still have it!!

Comment

I think its a great album. Its something new and fresh, especially with the large use of keyboards. Priest still have it!!

Comment

Originally Posted By: DiosSword I'm a longtime fan of Priest, back to the <span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span> era. I don't think they've ever topped that one, nor are they likely to.
                          British Steel will always be their best album, hands down, for a multitude of different reasons. But the one that stands out the most is the sheer luck of it all and I say luck because had it been planned they would've done it again. When a person listens to the trinity of albums in the 70's, Sad Wings Of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, they hear a band that made intelligent sophisticated epic pieces that demands respect. But as is the case with EVERY BAND like that, these albums were not accessible to the majority, so they made the band very little money. And rather you want to admit it or not, no musicians choose to make music their career of choice and not expect to get for it. Then at first glance you got British Steel, an album full of songs that feature:

Simple Riffs
                          Wimpy Passages
                          Only 1 or 2 Falsetto Screams
                          Shorter Songs
                          More Streamlined Styling
                          Clearer Sonic Production

All of those things are going to reward you money and make you popular, though with success comes those jealous ones who will always use the 'Sell-Out' card, simply because they have nothing better to do with their time.

But British Steel had character, it had class, it had balls. The very things that most popular albums do not have. Mostly because bands abandon their own character because they know being different will give them that nice luxurious house. But British Steel is no different than other Priest albums, it's just the logical progression from Killing Machine.

So in truth what happened was, while most bands will say, "If we abandon all the things that make us who we are, we will make money? Okay, where do we sign."

Whereas in Priest's case with British Steel they said, "Fuck You, You will either like us or hate us for who we are, but you can ALWAYS be sure that what you are hearing is Judas Fucking Priest"

Most artists/bands who do that fail tremendously and sure Priest could have too, but they played it smart. Got an excellent producer, got a worthy drummer and made something they knew everyone like.

Seriously what is more Heavy Metal than the last one minute and forty-five seconds of Steeler?

Originally Posted By: J Hillenburg Agreed on <span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span>, but I am a huge fan of <span style="font-style: italic">Stained Class</span> as well. I know a lot of people think it is overrated, but Priest was really on a creative roll during this period.
                          They were creative for making Sad Wings Of Destiny Part III? There is only two Priest albums that I cannot stand to listen to today and those are: Screaming For Vengeance and Stained Class, and it's not because of how many times I've heard it, or because of how popular it may or may not have become. But because they are mind-numbingly boring and it took only a few spins to reach that conclusion.

The only positive thing about Stained Class is it was what made me like Priest first.

Can you imagine how monumental SC would've been though had the entire album been produced by James Guthrie. The best song on SC, production wise, was produced by James, who also went on to produce and engineer the next album, Killing Machine, which is light years better across the board. Know why? He produced and engineered some of Pink Floyd's best work, and Floyd always had the best Sonic Texturing.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Ashley Dalby
                            Originally Posted By: J Hillenburg Agreed on <span style="font-style: italic">British Steel</span>, but I am a huge fan of <span style="font-style: italic">Stained Class</span> as well. I know a lot of people think it is overrated, but Priest was really on a creative roll during this period.
                            They were creative for making Sad Wings Of Destiny Part III? There is only two Priest albums that I cannot stand to listen to today and those are: Screaming For Vengeance and Stained Class, and it's not because of how many times I've heard it, or because of how popular it may or may not have become. But because they are mind-numbingly boring and it took only a few spins to reach that conclusion.

The only positive thing about Stained Class is it was what made me like Priest first.

Can you imagine how monumental SC would've been though had the entire album been produced by James Guthrie. The best song on SC, production wise, was produced by James, who also went on to produce and engineer the next album, Killing Machine, which is light years better across the board. Know why? He produced and engineered some of Pink Floyd's best work, and Floyd always had the best Sonic Texturing.
                            How can you find Stained Class "mind-numbingly boring" and yet have it be the same album that got you into Priest? The album that got me into Priest was Screaming for Vengeance which is anything but boring. Seems like a paradox to me.

I do agree that James Guthrie is awesome.
                            So live for today
                            Tomorrow never comes

Comment

Stained Class is mind-numbingly boring? Holy shit, now I've heard it all...

Comment

Stained Class is mind-numbingly boring? Holy shit, now I've heard it all...

Comment

Working...
                                X