Announcement

Collapse

Google Ads Question

Hey gang. I just posted something asking about Google Ads on my website. I'd like people's input (and help possibly) on this. Please go over here and have a read:

https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/for...ads#post645883

--- Joe
See more
See less

Nostradamus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nostradamus

<span style="font-weight: bold">OMG WTF STFU!</span>

Let me preface this by saying I am fully prepared for the disciplinary action from Joe or the other staff members here.

I hate to be a poor sport or whatever. But Ashley, what the hell man. I can't understand you! You want bands to do things outside their normal way but you don't like Nostradamus! What's with you? I hate to senselessly attack you but come on. How can you come on a metal forum and say "Oh well metal's fine and good but it's boring! You should listen to/play classical!" I love classical but I also love HEAVY FUCKING METAL be it Mercyful Fate, JUDAS PRIEST, Lamb of God, Black Sabbath or anything in between. That is my taste and I know a lot of us on here love metal, which is why we're here on a BLACK SABBATH forum. I don't care that you have a different opinion than I do but don't trash other's opinions of the music they love just because you like something else! No reason for that.

Then DIOSWORD comes out and argues your points, very well I might add as he usually does, and so you come back and rehash the whole "I LOVE PRIEST AND RIPPER MOST AND I COMPLAIN ABOUT WHEN PRIEST DOES OTHER STUFF THAN METAL BUT STILL WANT METAL BANDS TO DO UNEXPECTED THINGS" shit. Man, if you really think you're the "master race" because you play classical and listen to it then go join a SEGOVIA forum and leave this SABBATH forum alone.

By the way, I love NOSTRADAMUS for it's diversity and I think it's awesome, can't wait to see them play the tracks live.

Comment

Jeez, If I hated an entire Judas Priest album because it had 1 or more terrible song I wouldn't like any of them.

Comment

Originally Posted By: BloodshotGtr <span style="font-weight: bold">OMG WTF STFU!</span>

But Ashley, what the hell man. I can't understand you! You want bands to do things outside their normal way but you don't like Nostradamus! What's with you?
        Ashley's not gonna respond to this, even though it is a valid point. Nostradamus was a pretty big experiment by JP, and you can tell when you listen to the album that they put a TON of work into it. That, and the fact that they didn't try to make the album accessible in any way (most of the songs are over 6 minutes) has to earn your respect. They were doing what they want to do, and I think that's great. They weren't trying to make "British Steel pt 2", "Sad Wings pt 2", "Painkiller pt 2", etc... they were making NOSTRADAMUS. Plus, I love the songs anyway. And man, some of the guitar solos are amazing!

Comment

Originally Posted By: SabbathSteve Plus, I love the songs anyway. And man, some of the guitar solos are amazing!
          Agreed. There is some amazing guitar playing on this album! Glenn and K.K. show just how good they are. They do a lot of acoustic stuff on this album too which is awesome.

Comment

Originally Posted By: BloodshotGtr
            I don't care that you have a different opinion than I do but don't trash other's opinions of the music they love just because you like something else! No reason for that.
            First, let me say that I don't have a beef with you. I admire your passion for music.

But, first, it's obvious you <span style="font-weight: bold">do</span> care about her contrary opinion. And secondly, you're trashing her for trashing other's opinions. No reason for that either.

I speak from the experience of someone learning to let go of people's adoration of Dio. It really does work both ways.

Comment

Originally Posted By: Hell_Awaits It would be cool if they played the album live with an orchestra.
              I agree with that, it would be a true rock opera. Anyway, I like the epic-style story tellers (Helloween, Iron Maiden, Rush, etc.). This is a nice change for Priest and gives them a chance to show off different skills and creativity.

And as far as I'm concerned, it gets a lot of points for being "radio unfriendly."
              Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
              I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
              There's just one thing to say, after all.

Comment

Originally Posted By: J Hillenburg
                Originally Posted By: BloodshotGtr
                I don't care that you have a different opinion than I do but don't trash other's opinions of the music they love just because you like something else! No reason for that.
                First, let me say that I don't have a beef with you. I admire your passion for music.

But, first, it's obvious you <span style="font-weight: bold">do</span> care about her contrary opinion. And secondly, you're trashing her for trashing other's opinions. No reason for that either.

I speak from the experience of someone learning to let go of people's adoration of Dio. It really does work both ways.
                Very very true. Good point.

And seeing Priest play Nostradamus with an orchestra= ear orgy.

Comment

I've been a fan of Priest since 1979 and I absolutely love this new cd. Can't stop listening to it.

Comment

Quote: Someone here a week or so ago mentioned that Priest have ALWAYS made questionable decisions in their management of things and the claim does hold true to your announcement of that cover song. Turning down Reckless for Top Gun and participating in Johnny B. Goode was a huge step back for any band.
                    It shows in their sales too. If you compare them to the biggest/most important/oldest metal bands they're disappointing.

In my list I'm going to avoid bands like AC/DC (and even my beloved Motley) that many people would insist are rock music since that tends to be more commercial. I've included all the other acts with big sales too, for comparison.

Iron Maiden: 100 million+ albums (recording since 1980)
                    Black Sabbath: 100 million+ albums (recording since 1970)
                    Metallica: 95 million+ albums (recording since 1983)
                    Scorpions: 76 million+ albums (recording since 1972)
                    Ozzy Osbourne: 50 million+ albums (recording since 1980)
                    <span style="font-weight: bold">Judas Priest: 35 million+ albums (recording since 1974)</span>
                    KoRn: 30 million+ albums (recording since 1994)
                    System of a Down: 25+ million albums (recording since 1998)
                    Megadeth: 20 million+ albums (recording since 1985)
                    Queensr˙che: 20 million+ albums (recording since 1981)
                    Pantera: 15 million+ albums (recording since 1985)
                    Rob Zombie: 15 million+ albums (recording since 1998)
                    Twisted Sister: 13 million+ albums (recording since 1982)
                    DragonForce: 10 million+ albums (recording since 2003)
                    Manowar: 10 million+ albums (recording since 1982)
                    Slayer: 10 million+ albums (recording since 1985)
                    Anthrax: 10 million+ albums (recording since 1984)
                    White Zombie: 10 million+ albums (recording since 1987)
                    Dream Theatre: 8 million+ albums (recording since 1989)
                    Nightwish: 4 million+ albums (recording since 1997)

I know figures aren't totally accurate, but it isn't hard to see the picture. Priest had a clear run with no problems until Halford left, which wasn't confirmed until after Metal Works in 1993. Not many bands go that long without personal problems or line-up or hiatus or something happening. If you consider the decline of the music industry from the late 1990s, and the fact that even in the mid 1980s bands were having to release albums every other year to continue sales a band could bring in on annual releases a few years before, Priest were at their biggest at a perfect time for a metal band - the first half of the 1980s. The late 1980s were very healthy for sales too. Despite this they're not as high up the chain as they should be really.

On a side note, this research led me to realise DragonForce are selling a ridiculous amount of albums. Roughly as many as Slayer in 5 years? And 3 albums?
                    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
                    http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
                    http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Comment

Originally I ddidn't like priest, I heard Screaming For Vengance and was not impressed. I then heard Stars by Hear N Aid and 2 voices really struck me Rob Halford and Dave Meniketti.
                      I went out and bought Sreaming For Vengance and loved it (my favourite to date) next came Hero Hero (OK, but wow is this the same band!) I loved Turbo, I rate it up there with Screaming & Defenders.
                      This may be contriversial but Painkiller onwards to me sound like any other metal band - Scott Travis' double bass drumming although impressive really doen't do it for me. Even Ram it Down had a goove!!
                      The Ripper years..... I bought Demolition and I think I got through it once... or almost got through it. Between the barrage of drums beating you over the head and a Halford copy... Arghhh. I sooo wanted to like it
                      Angel of Retribution was wayyyy better. A return to form. To me Scott Travis found more of a groove and must've laid off the caffine!!
                      I wish Nostradamus was a propper Priest album building from Angel, but I do like it. I like that its different. I've heard some live stuff on youtube and I'm even more impressed.

Comment

Siskel and Ebert gives it 2 thumbs down.

Comment

WOW Stained Class Boring? WTF!!!!
                          No way in HELL is Stained Class boring or lacking ANYTHING in this album.
                          Pure Heavy Metal TRUE Priest.
                          Fucking boring..I don't know man lol I don't know how you can say that about this album.
                          R.I.P. Ronald Padavona,Ronnie James Dio,DIO,Legend.

Comment

Originally Posted By: NoWayOut WOW Stained Class Boring? WTF!!!!
                            No way in HELL is Stained Class boring or lacking ANYTHING in this album.
                            Pure Heavy Metal TRUE Priest.
                            Fucking boring..I don't know man lol I don't know how you can say that about this album.
                            I don't think anybody will ever know the answer to that question... it's an unsolved mystery, and looks to be forever and unsolved mystery

Comment

You know, no one here listens to music, or does not listen, because of my views on music. If you want to listen to, worship and adore Stained Class then go ahead.

Stop acting like the world is going to come to an end just because I happen to dislike Stained Class, I am not the only one. And even if I was, who the hell cares?

Now can we PLEASE return this topic where it belongs: Nostradamus!

Comment

I saw them live at the Novarock Festival in Austria (15th of June).
                                Setlist:

judas priest

Intro: Dawn of Creation
                                Prophecy
                                Metal Gods
                                Eat Me Alive
                                Between the Hammer And The Anvil
                                Devil's Child
                                Breaking the Law
                                Hell Patrol
                                Death
                                Dissident Aggressor
                                Angel
                                The Hellion/Electric Eye
                                Rock Hard, Ride Free
                                Sinner
                                Painkiller

Dawn of Creation and Prophecy were so much great!!!
                                The 2nd of Nostradamus, Death, was good.
                                So I bought the new album and I like it. It`s a new kind of music, different of the other albums.
                                If you don`t expect a 2nd British Steel you may be satisfied.

The concert was awesome!!

Comment

Working...
                                X