Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Tony Martin's attitude towards Dio.

That's just a bad example, man. Every Black Sabbath frontman has penned a few stinkers. I mean, Feels Good To Me, anyone? Songs like The Sign Of The Southern Cross and Dehumanizer in its entirety have awesome lyrics.

Besides, even if some of Dio's lyrics are cheesy, he can make even the most corny stuff sound menacing. The guy can sing a cooking book and make it sound like Satan himself! Tony is a very good singer, but his way of singing (even on Forbidden) sounds very dated. Very 80's more specifically.

imagine that...WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Albums that were released in the 80s sound like they were released in the 80s. That is truly unbelievable how on Earth TM managed to do that is beyond me.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And that’s for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

[ QUOTE ]
    imagine that...WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Albums that were released in the 80s sound like they were released in the 80s. That is truly unbelievable how on Earth TM managed to do that is beyond me.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, this made me laught my whole body off! Truly!
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

that is something that really pisses me off [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
    How Good It Feels
    And that’s for real"

Cant we just say that both are great singers, both have released very good material while in Sabbath as well as outside of the band?

I mean seriously, does it really matter who is better?
    It seems that is where this thread has gone, a verses battle.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You totally missed the point while trying to make me look like a retard.

Tyr (okay, that one can be excused since it's only from 1990), Cross Purposes and Forbidden were released in the 90's weren't they? And Tony Martin kept the same 80's voice on most of the tracks, making them sound very dated to me. At least Dio tried singing Dehumanizer differently, which ended up pretty good, in my opinion.

Again, I like the Tony Martin-stuff, so I really think you're being overly aggressive here. Most of the stuff just sounds very dated to me. I mean, this version of the band released more albums in the 90's than the 80's! And they're all drenched in synth strings and throaty operatic vocals!

[ QUOTE ]

And Tony Martin kept the same 80's voice on most of the tracks, making them sound very dated to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, please teach me to change my voice. I'd like to have a 1960s voice. Oh, and having a 3000's voice would be sooooo cool man. (I'm talking to you with my 1920's voice at this moment).

[/ QUOTE ]
    At least Dio tried singing Dehumanizer differently, which ended up pretty good, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you said it. In your opinion. Many people (including me) absolutley HATE the way Dio "sings" (read, monotonly and trying to sound pissed and bad ass resulting in some very bored and uninspired effort) making Dehumanizer the absolutly worse Sabbath Album.

Vad är det här för trams, El Lobo?
    Vi vet ju allihopa att Dehumanizer är en kanonplatta [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Tyr (okay, that one can be excused since it's only from 1990), Cross Purposes and Forbidden were released in the 90's weren't they? And Tony Martin kept the same 80's voice on most of the tracks, making them sound very dated to me. At least Dio tried singing Dehumanizer differently, which ended up pretty good, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because it is a new decade singers have to change how they sound? Tony has no control over the changing of time. A lot of people who stumbled over Scary Dreams thought that is was a demo from the 70s which was 30 years later. While on the otherhand CP and Forbidden were 2 and 5 years later than it was "the 80s". He aswell as many other musicians is consisstent, now thats not to say he hasn't changed, but he has been pretty solid forever.

Look at Judas Priest. IMO Hell Bent For Leather sounds a ,ot ike Ram It Down, two songs separated by many many years and they both kick ass.

Perhaps the reason Dio didn't sing on Dehumanizer the way he did on H&H or The Mob Rules is because he couldn't sing that way anymore. He had used that type of singing in his solo stuff before Dehumanizer.
    How Good It Feels
    And that’s for real"

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

And Tony Martin kept the same 80's voice on most of the tracks, making them sound very dated to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, please teach me to change my voice. I'd like to have a 1960s voice. Oh, and having a 3000's voice would be sooooo cool man. (I'm talking to you with my 1920's voice at this moment).

[/ QUOTE ]

It was early morning, okay? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] This is easy to misread when I look at it now. What I meant was obviously his singing voice. His way of singing hasn't really dated well. Calling it an "80's" way of singing might sound silly to you, but Martin did keep the same way of singing. He does have a good voice range, so it wouldn't have been impossible for him to try out something new once in a while. What I'm trying to say is that out of all of the Sabbath singers, I don't think Martin's singing has dated very good.

As for Dehumanizer, well, to each his own. I'm glad I remembered the "in my opinion", cause that seems to be the problem about these discussions - most of us (probably myself included) end up being quite self-righteous or at least looking like that. I happen to enjoy the album (and Dio's singing) a lot - it's one of my favourites.

All in all, I'm just tired to see people defending Martin no matter what. I like a lot of the stuff he did with Sabbath and I think he deserves as much a fanbase as Ozzy and Dio, but the guy wasn't as perfect like many people make him. None of them were!

[ QUOTE ]
    All in all, I'm just tired to see people defending Martin no matter what. I like a lot of the stuff he did with Sabbath and I think he deserves as much a fanbase as Ozzy and Dio, but the guy wasn't as perfect like many people make him. None of them were!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why this Martin fan base bothers you and RAR so much? I mean, Ozzy have his army, Dio have his midget army, why can't the Poor Tony Martin have people who defend him no mather what? Did we said that he's not bald? No, because it's a fact, he's bald. We are only saying that his style is way better than Dio's, and that's not a fact, it's a matter of opinion.
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

It doesn't really bother me that way - I consider myself to be a Martin fan as well. I just don't like blind worshipping, whether we're talking about Ozzy, Dio, Martin or whatever. I know I'm new here, but my impression is that Martin fans just tend to be most eager to prove others wrong no matter what. It's probably a coincidence, but really, it's not fun trying to get an argument across when you get 20 annoyed smileys slammed in your face.

I'm gonna stop arguing here. My only point being that it's way easier making an interesting debate if one tries to be a little objective about things like this.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why this Martin fan base bothers you and RAR so much? I mean, Ozzy have his army, Dio have his midget army, why can't the Poor Tony Martin have people who defend him no mather what? Did we said that he's not bald? No, because it's a fact, he's bald. We are only saying that his style is way better than Dio's, and that's not a fact, it's a matter of opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I cant find or think of anything here that isn't based on a persons own respective opinion. I'm certain no one here talks in someone else opinion unless your JackZepStripper [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Since my previous post was ignored I will say the exact same thing again:

[ QUOTE ]
    Cant we just say that both are great singers, both have released very good material while in Sabbath as well as outside of the band?
    I mean seriously, does it really matter who is better?
    It seems that is where this thread has gone, a verses battle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ashley is right. Lets try to maintain civility please.

Freddy, I appreciate your opinions. If the Martin fans seem a little more rabid, keep in mind that the Martin era probably does get the least amount of recongnition and respect overall, which naturally makes the fans of that era more vocal in defending it. You know the old rental car commercials for Avis? "We Try Harder". Its kind of like that. (Of couse if these commercials never made it to Denmark, then you'll have to create your own analogy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

Thanks.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

[ QUOTE ]
    At least Dio tried singing Dehumanizer differently, which ended up pretty good, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm listening to the Dehumanizer Demos as I type. In these Dio is attemting to sound like he did on his first two albums with Sabbath and his voice just can't take it. I think he changed his voice because of wear and tear Dio's been singing longer than almost anyone.
    How Good It Feels
    And that’s for real"

[ QUOTE ]
    Ashley is right. Lets try to maintain civility please.

Freddy, I appreciate your opinions. If the Martin fans seem a little more rabid, keep in mind that the Martin era probably does get the least amount of recongnition and respect overall, which naturally makes the fans of that era more vocal in defending it. You know the old rental car commercials for Avis? "We Try Harder". Its kind of like that. (Of couse if these commercials never made it to Denmark, then you'll have to create your own analogy )

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly. Let's end this before the mudflinging enters. But no midget-talk, please! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I see the point, being a big fan of the Gillan-led Black Sabbath myself, and thus a fan of what has been called "their worst album" by quite a number of people. I confess I've never seen an Avis commercial, but I think I get the point! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm listening to the Dehumanizer Demos as I type. In these Dio is attemting to sound like he did on his first two albums with Sabbath and his voice just can't take it. I think he changed his voice because of wear and tear Dio's been singing longer than almost anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... I think he nailed his old singing style pretty good when performing the old material live on the Dehumanizer tour, so he probably tried getting back into training. For the final product, I think it was a case of the material being louder and more aggressive, so he ended up adopting his voice for that. Too Late is pretty much the only quiet song on the album!

[ QUOTE ]
    Vi vet ju allihopa att Dehumanizer är en kanonplatta [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Visst, en kanontråkig platta, utan tvekan. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Most of the stuff just sounds very dated to me. I mean, this version of the band released more albums in the 90's than the 80's! And they're all drenched in synth strings and throaty operatic vocals!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!!! Synth strings and throaty operatic vocals! Couldn't have said it better myself! That's the way I feel too. I've never said it's horrible, just bland, boring, and "dated" as you've also said. I mean, if I was forced to listen to it, I wouldn't die. But by choice and in the TM era being compared to the rest of Sabbath, I see TM as a downfall from the rest. That's all I have to say.
    -rar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Visst, en kanontråkig platta, utan tvekan. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bedre end Boten Anna! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nelson.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, we are ashamed! *Takes a step away from the Swedish flag*

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red
    Give me the wine you keep the bread

No sweat. We had Aqua, so we should be even now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    No sweat. We had Aqua, so we should be even now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

But hey! Aqua is actually a very very good band! Songs like Barbie Girl always make me cry and make me smile in the same time. So muscially beautiful. And I just looove the lyrics!

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, who will translate?
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not so bad. Lene was kinda hot. Point well taken for the norwegians [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, who will translate?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a Swedish techno? song called Boten Anna. It's rediciously bad.

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, who will translate?

[/ QUOTE ]

altavista [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    -rar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Tja... Alla kan väl inte gilla tunga riff och onda mansröster.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

As for the rest of you, El Lobo just stated how much he loves Dehumanizer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Wow! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Tony Martin is always the gentleman, I don't think he was ever bitter at Ronnie, perhaps pissed the he was dropped for Dio's return and rightfully so, but I never heard him say a bad word about anyone let alone Ronnie.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Reading this topic by chance, i have an argument. Some friend in this topic, said that Tony Martin had the same singing style on his 90's stuff carried from the 80's. Well, The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, TYR had pretty much the same singing style but on Cross Purposes mostly, i think that Tony Martin had used his full range. For me, the insanely high notes from the previous albums, are gone. I think that on Cross Purposes, Tony Martin is more relaxed and if you ask me, i think that he had a bit of a struggle with the high notes. On this album, i hear a Tony Martin testing his lower register and approaching a different style and i really liked that if you ask me.

Also, Dio on the Dehumanizer album, adopted a more aggressive style of singing and the operatic vocals in style of "Stargazer" are gone. This singing style, really suited Dehumanizer's stuff greatly. As for those two men's relationship, i don't think there was a problem. I know about a fraud between Dio and Ozzy but between Tony Martin and Dio, i don't think so....

Quote Originally Posted by tsimisde View Post
    Also, Dio on the Dehumanizer album, adopted a more aggressive style of singing and the operatic vocals in style of "Stargazer" are gone. This singing style, really suited Dehumanizer's stuff greatly. As for those two men's relationship, i don't think there was a problem. I know about a fraud between Dio and Ozzy but between Tony Martin and Dio, i don't think so....
    Maybe Ronnie couldn't hit those operatic notes anymore because he had gotten older?
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    Maybe Ronnie couldn't hit those operatic notes anymore because he had gotten older?
    Of course the aging process was a key factor on this. Apart from that, if you consider the constant touring and a bit of substance abuse (Dio was a drinker and a smoker mostly), you got the point. Every frontman has the same issue....

Of course the aging process was a key factor on this. Apart from that, if you consider the constant touring and a bit of substance abuse (Dio was a drinker and a smoker mostly), you got the point. Every frontman has the same issue....
    Yes of course, I wasn't criticizing Ronnie for it, just stating that was probably a factor.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to OzzyIsDio For This Useful Post:

tsimisde (06-22-2019)

Apologies if this isn’t the right/best place to share this thought or if it’s been discussed previously. I know I’ve read somewhere that people thought the “kiss the rainbow away” lyric from Psychophobia was aimed at Ronnie, it I’ve always wondered about these lyrics from The Law Maker

Silver mountains won't save you from hell
    The prince of darkness inside you will dwell
    Oh your weakness your past
    The Lawmaker comes

Could the silver mountains be a reference to Ronnie (from the Rainbow song Man on the silver mountain) and the prince of darkness be a reference to Ozzy? Or is it pure coincidence?

Dio was well-known for his drinking (which may have contributed to his stomach cancer; Tony Iommi said in his book that RJD would often drink rather than eat) and he liked to smoke pot. I saw pictures of him smoking cigarettes when he was in Rainbow.

Tony Martin has often said that RJD is one of his favourite singers, along with Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale.

I have never read any statement by RJD on Tony Martin; not once, good or bad.

I will say that when I saw Heaven And Hell (Detroit, 2009) RJD seemed to be reaching for some of his more "operatic notes."
    Last edited by DiosSword; 07-02-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon78 View Post
    Apologies if this isn’t the right/best place to share this thought or if it’s been discussed previously. I know I’ve read somewhere that people thought the “kiss the rainbow away” lyric from Psychophobia was aimed at Ronnie, it I’ve always wondered about these lyrics from The Law Maker

Silver mountains won't save you from hell
    The prince of darkness inside you will dwell
    Oh your weakness your past
    The Lawmaker comes

Could the silver mountains be a reference to Ronnie (from the Rainbow song Man on the silver mountain) and the prince of darkness be a reference to Ozzy? Or is it pure coincidence?
    I've heard of the Psychophobia song being about Ronnie, but never The Lawmaker song being in reference to Ronnie of Ozzy.

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    Dio was well-known for his drinking (which may have contributed to his stomach cancer; Tony Iommi said in his book that RJD would often drink rather than eat) and he liked to smoke pot. I saw pictures of him smoking cigarettes when he was in Rainbow.

Tony Martin has often said that RJD is one of his favourite singers, along with Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale.

I have never read any statement by RJD on Tony Martin; not once, good or bad.

I will say that when I saw Heaven And Hell (Detroit, 2009) RJD seemed to be reaching for some of his more "operatic notes."
    Funny I never new Ronnie was a drinker or pot smoker, he never came across to me that way.

I heard Ronnie say something once in a interview about Tony Martin and why he doesn't sing his songs when he is in Sabbath, but can't remember what it was.