Thread: Monster Magnet

Default Monster Magnet

Easily one of my favourite bands ever. And even though they have had a complete line-up change over the years (apart from Dave Wyndorf) and changed their sound to something slightly more "mainstream" than their first albums, they are still fantastic and make interesting great music.

Default Re: Monster Magnet

You know, I know nothing about them, but I would like to. What are some songs you would recommend?
    Do you want to encourage the Sabb Four to release a studio, demo, or official live version of "Scary Dreams" (the thus far unreleased song they debuted/performed live during their 2001 Ozzfest tour)? If so, consider becoming a fan of Scary Dreams on facebook by clicking the below link:

https://www.facebook.com/blacksabbathscarydreams

My favourite Monster Magnet album is Dopes To Infinity so in my opinion Negasonic Teenage Warhead and King of Mars are good songs to start with. As is The Right Stuff from Monolithic Baby! Snake Dance from Spine Of God.

EDIT!

Also their magnificent cover of Velvet Underground's Venus In Furs. It slays the original in every way possible [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have just one album by Monster Magnet, "Powertrip".

Coincidently, I listened to it today for the first time in years, very good album.
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

My favorite band behind sabbath!
    We don抰 see things as they are; we see them as we are.

[ QUOTE ]
    My favorite band behind sabbath!

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here!

I am very much looking forward to their next album as well as the upcoming European tour [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

They have some cool videos too! My favorite is "Heads Explode (Uncensored version)". The first time I experienced Monster Magnet was when I saw the "Twin Earth" video on Much Music back in 1995, After the video, I immediately went down to the record store and got "Dopes to Infinity". I just recently got the video for "Medicine" from Spine of God, It's pretty primitive, but cool to have.

I've got Dopes To Infinity. I really like Monster Magnets super chunk heavy rock sound and their mellower songs are cool too.

I'm sure I read somewhere they did their studio up like the inside of a fantasy spaceship when the were recording Dopes To Infinity so they could capture the right vibe for the album [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Heads Explode is a cool video, but then again, as is all their videos. I'm partial to Unbroken myself. It's funny, has got good looking topless ladies in it (the uncensored version anyway) and is in general just the very embodiment of coolness in my book.

For instance there's a scene where the camera zooms in on a TV screen, and for 1 or 2 seconds you see Dave Wyndorf down on his knees (with his hands tied on his back I assume) getting a slap in the back of his head by one of the 2 women standing behind him in leather underwear.
    For some reason that scene never fails to crack me up.

I don't know about the fantasy spaceship thing, but it sounds bizarre enough to be true [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have Power Trip and really really liked it when it first came out. Later, I found it somewhat derivative of better bands, only with incredibly dumb lyrics at times.

They are a band, in my opinion, who failed to capitalize on the success of Power Trip. 'Space Lord' got airplay in my area, and they were written up in Penthouse magazine of all places.

Did not know they had undergone line-up changes. May look into them again.

I'll give 'em this, they had some memorable hooks, and were great fun to crank up in the car.

Failed to capitalize on the success of Power Trip? I don't really think that is the case. Unbroken from their latest album Monolithic Baby got massive airplay on VH1 of all places.

Monster Magnet is pretty good. Guitars roaring and bass is grooving.Don't like the vocals too much, dunno why. Could be that I haven't been exposed to Monster Magnet that much. Doom Rock/Metal and Stoner/Desert Rock holds endless supplies of good music. Especially for Sabbath-fans. Alot of doom rock artists are fans of Sabbath and sometimes the tunes work as good as Sabbath. Although if you dig the post-ozzy material it might not open for you [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(Might've gone a bit off-topic and for that I apologise)

Meh stoner rock is good, but most doom metal I could in all honestly live without. Especially traditional doom where 90% of it just sounds like something Sabbath binned.

Another one:

"Ejection" is a Robert Calvert cover.

>>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

Never got into these guys.

Meh

Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post

Never heard this before, sounds great! Reminds me of the Pink Fairies a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post

Good to see you back Ady!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by Axe fiend View Post
    Never heard this before, sounds great! Reminds me of the Pink Fairies a little bit.
    Good call, Paul Rudolph is the guitarist. Great album. Lemmy and Simon King are the rhythm section + other Hawkwind & Pink Fairies members make an appearance.

It also has the original version of "The Right Stuff" which MM also covered.

>>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    Good to see you back Ady!
    Thanks, OID!
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<