Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Recording

Default Home Recording

Does anyone else record stuff at home here? If so, what do you use and what for?

I personally use Cubase SL 3, a great program if only I knew how to use it. Hopefully when I've worked it out I'll record and EP with my band

Default Re: Home Recording

i write and im still tryin to figure out a good way to record

I've recorded 4 CDs in the past three months on my 16-track Fostex digital unit.

I usually record direct, through a Digitech Grunge. I also use a Boss DR-3 programmable drum machine, and play an inexpensive Epiphone bass (SG-shaped, of course). I use a lot of voices on an inexpensive Radio Shack synthesiser I had laying around the house. Guitars are both Gibson SG Firebrans and the Epi Signature Iommi, but I prefer the Gibson as it has a better feel to the neck and stays in tune better.

Sometimes I mic the guitar through my 120w Crate, but I prefer the sound through the Grunge - which has turned out to be a very versatile pedal. I also use a CryBaby wah at times.

The Fostex actually gives me 24 tracks if I swap one bank with "virtual" tracks on the hard drive. The only drawback is that the manual is confusing and complicated ... rather than relate the digital unti to analog tape - which most people understand and therefore can pick up easily - the tech manual appears to be written by high-tech nerds who never used an analog tape for anything but computer backups. It's a minor drawback, however, as experience with the unit usually revceals its "secrets."

The Fostex 16-track recorder/CD burner, the Boss DR-3 and the Epi bass combined cost me about $1,000 in the Musician's Friend catalog.

Banned

Racer give me a disc Paul hill p.o. box 1603 laredo tx. 78044 send me a cdr I will send you one in return.Also anyone else who wants to send me one please do!!!!!!!!!!!!Plus give me your email I will tell you what I think.Also there is nine songs on my download site now. www.hxcmp3.com/bands/5461 i,m almost done with the 3 cd there will be updates on it at www.hxcmp3.com/bands/11981 thanks Paul Hill guitarist and Music Lover

Racer, it seems you have recorded keyboards before. I've it through the same 1/4" jack input i've used with all my instruments, but nothing is being recorded. How do you do it?

I use a Quattro USB interface which allows me 6 inputs (4 on the Quattro, 2 through my computer's soundcard) and I use a program called "Vegas Video", which is a video editing prgram (Hence the name), but it works great recording music. I have unlimited tracks and get to use all the Sound Forge plug ins. I use 5 SM 58's when I record the drum kit, I DI my Bass, and I run a line from my Peavey 5150 head, out to the cab of my truck, where I mic my 4X12 cabinet for guitar tracks. I've recorded a couple of tunes so far with this set up, when I get a chance, I'll upload them onto my mp3 site so I can get some feedback from y'all. Before I had this set up, I used a Tascam 488 Portastudio, which was great, but doesn't even compare to what I'm able to do now on my computer.
    We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

[ QUOTE ]
    Racer, it seems you have recorded keyboards before. I've it through the same 1/4" jack input i've used with all my instruments, but nothing is being recorded. How do you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The keyboard I'm using has an output jack ... I'm basically going direct from the headphones jack on the keyboard to the Fostex and it works OK.

Here's one of the tunes I've done on my equipment, let me know what you think. http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/boneh..._The_Grave.mp3

Axe Fiend ... GOOD JOB! You certainly make good use of the computer!

my band hasn't recorded anything yet, but we have no money so i'll just use my little minicassette player thing that i got at goodwill for $4. it'll sound like a dying animal on speed, but it really doesn't matter. yeah, im pretty much a loser. but i can play iron man with my band good enough that they think that im playing it on my stereo. heh.

I have Line 6s "guitar port"
    you plug your guitar into it and it plugs into your computer, creating all the tones throught the software.
    I use this fr recording [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Here's one of the tunes I've done on my equipment, let me know what you think. http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/boneh..._The_Grave.mp3

[/ QUOTE ]

this is actually the first home recording where i have actually liked the signing. good stuff, give us more [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Racer give me a disc Paul hill p.o. box 1603 laredo tx. 78044 send me a cdr I will send you one in return.Also anyone else who wants to send me one please do!!!!!!!!!!!!Plus give me your email I will tell you what I think.Also there is nine songs on my download site now. www.hxcmp3.com/bands/5461 i,m almost done with the 3 cd there will be updates on it at www.hxcmp3.com/bands/11981 thanks Paul Hill guitarist and Music Lover

[/ QUOTE ]

this is awesome!
    sometimes the singing reminds me of hetfield, sometimes of zakk wylde.
    good stuff

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff, Paul! ... Your disk is on the way.

I WANNA DISC! where's my disc? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

"curse of disobediance" sounds a bit like it was out of the game Red alert. listen to Hell march and youll see what i mean

Banned

I have never heard the game your speaking of.The name Curse Of Disobedience was out of the old testament.the songs I wrote the lyrics and music to.thanks for the disc racer.i,m eargerly awaiting.

Banned

Racer I just got your disc.I'm going to let it spin about a week.Thanks Paul

Banned

Ok Racer I got your disc I heard it several times.There is alot good rtyhyms on the disc.But the drum machine will not let them shine.I think you should buy the Doug Marks videos lessons 5and6 plus the Micheal Angelo speed kills.they will increase your leads.Also find a singer.Those songs are in good format for a vocalist.As soon as I heard I had alot of lyric ideas.The songs also have a good sabbath feel on the rythyms.I liked your ideas i think you now need to drive them home.

Thanks for your input, Paul!

Banned

Your welcome.Also your rthyms are very catchy.I just think you need to ditch the drum loops for sure.it takes away from your talent.But I know it is hard to get a good drummer.But you have the makes of some good tracks.You now need to take the next and if anything do it for yourself not the public.Leave a legacy of yourself.

Axe Fiend, that was awesome man! I found myself stompin away at that one!

[ QUOTE ]
    Axe Fiend, that was awesome man! I found myself stompin away at that one!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Rocket! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i recorded something, just guitar though...i dubbed a guitar for rhytm and another one for lead... used preety simple equipment, just my vox amp, two cables, my computer and of course my SG. sounds alright i think...would like to get some feed back though. here's the link for it. oh and tell me what u guys think of it thanks.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43e01e8...vT8CEBcb2TzF1c

Yeah Axe Fiend's recording is top notch. Great tune. Love the bass line bumbumbum bubububududu [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hah! when I get the time, I love home recording.

I use a Tascam 16 track to record onto, I've considered a
    Digital Tascam, but I love the "Warmth" tape gives, but
    cut the "hiss" out with some careful mixing....
    I use a Roland MT 200 Digital Sequencer and sound module,
    operated via a keyboard, program the drums using this too.
    My favourite "recording" Guitar is a Telecaster through a
    Zoom Fx 708 pedal (bass or guitar), use a Yamaha 5 string
    Bass, for the "lines"....and SM 58's Microphones for Voice
    and "miking" up "Nylon" or "Steel" strung acoustic guitars.
    Mixing down onto a Philips C.D. recorder.......
    Not much more to tell, I'm not a "Techi" type, but I really
    enjoy "mixing" down the stuff or other people's stuff..and
    I am always thinking when I listen to an album, why did they mix it like that?...how did they get that overall sound
    etc....Music, I loooooove it!!!

Man I love this site...I just bought a Tascam recorder...go to...
    http://www.tascam.com/Products/dp01fx.html

I love recording ....I also liked what I am hearing here with the diffrent recordings...they sound awsome. I am also recording in a studio ( pro-Tools ). Once my project is done I am going to send it through a analog macine to give it some warmth. Digital recording is cool cause you can do things you never could with Analog equipment. I recorded paranoid and man do I hate the vocals....Is there I could have someone record the vocals that is not in Canada?

let me know that would be cool to do a recording where everyone is in a diffrent country or state...what do you guys think

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=41063

There's two songs. One is a old recording from -04. It was recorded as a trio and we had been playing together for two months, Me and the guitarist had played our instruments for six months. So please be gentle [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Patterns is a year old song as is the recording (and it has vocals). It was recorded in our garage with two mics so it's a rough version at the least. We are planning to record a demo next month.

I liked the one with no vocals. It has a Sabbath feel to it. Sounding good keep it up !!

I finally got something done! Have a listen at my band's myspace

Wow. The beginning that I've listened to so far is SO Dark Side Of The Moon, slash Seventh Star.

(Which sounds great, btw). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    How could this poison be the dream of my soul
    How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a lot!

[ QUOTE ]
    http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=41063

There's two songs. One is a old recording from -04. It was recorded as a trio and we had been playing together for two months, Me and the guitarist had played our instruments for six months. So please be gentle [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Patterns is a year old song as is the recording (and it has vocals). It was recorded in our garage with two mics so it's a rough version at the least. We are planning to record a demo next month.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first one was interesting. I liked it ... the vocals could be slightly clearer, but it was in your garage, so it's alright. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The second sounds great thus far.

[ QUOTE ]
    i recorded something, just guitar though...i dubbed a guitar for rhytm and another one for lead... used preety simple equipment, just my vox amp, two cables, my computer and of course my SG. sounds alright i think...would like to get some feed back though. here's the link for it. oh and tell me what u guys think of it thanks.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43e01e8...vT8CEBcb2TzF1c

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't get through. :-\

http://koti.mbnet.fi/elephant/Dead_Patients_-_UUS.mp3

Here's something we recorded a while ago. There's no vocals in it yet... If you already don't know, I play the guitar.

^^^ You got a great groove on that run. I could throw in the vocals but I think the distance is too big for that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    ^^^ You got a great groove on that run. I could throw in the vocals but I think the distance is too big for that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could record them at home and send it to me, that would be cool [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Here's something we recorded a while ago. There's no vocals in it yet... If you already don't know, I play the guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the best demos I've heard on this board (or anywhere for that sake) Great!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red
    Give me the wine you keep the bread

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the best demos I've heard on this board (or anywhere for that sake) Great!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And Happy Birth Day!

Waiting for more good feedback... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow. The beginning that I've listened to so far is SO Dark Side Of The Moon, slash Seventh Star.

(Which sounds great, btw). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seventh Star?