Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd

Let's try this comparison on for size!
    Do you want to encourage the Sabb Four to release a studio, demo, or official live version of "Scary Dreams" (the thus far unreleased song they debuted/performed live during their 2001 Ozzfest tour)? If so, consider becoming a fan of Scary Dreams on facebook by clicking the below link:

https://www.facebook.com/blacksabbathscarydreams

Default Re: Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd. Their movie The Wall kicks ass, and their albums... WOW!

Pink Floyd

Hard choice.

Zeppelin has Stairway to Heaven and Kashmir and Fool in the Rain and many other classics, but Pink Floyd had the entire Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, etc.

Eventually, to me early and late Pink Floyd isn't to my tastes yet. I have several albums from each, Zeppelin is much harder for their first 6 albums, while both have good meaningful songs.

Zeppelin has more better selling albums, but The Wall beat out Zoso in record sales.

Both bands had Peter Grant as manager...

Finally, Zeppelin was my favorite band for about the last year, so I'm gonna have to vote Zeppelin.

Pink Floyd for me.

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red
    Give me the wine you keep the bread

Pink Floyd for me. Even though I got into Zeppelin first, I've kinda outgrown them in the last year. Floyd on the other hand has stood the test of time for me. Everything from Meddle to The Wall is classic, plus the post-Waters era has its moments. I even enjoy the Barrett years too, even though it's a little more eccentric.

I'd have to say Led Zeppelin because Led Zeppelin 4 and Houses of the Holy are 2 of my favorite cds of all time.

I can't see how these bands can be pitted against each other. They have little in common I think. But if you ask about personal tastes, I'd say Pink Floyd.
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Pink Floyd

Zeppelin

This is real tough,but I gotta go with FLOYD seeing as i'm in a FLOYD tribute band.

Then again,BONZO is my favorite drummer(next to Bill of course)!

Led Zeppelin.

50% of Pink Floyd's stuff is just noise to me.

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't see how these bands can be pitted against each other. They have little in common I think. But if you ask about personal tastes, I'd say Pink Floyd.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually they are a lot more similar if you think about it.

Both bands are some of the most succesful bands ever. Lot's of their songs are similar (money is close to zeppelin, some later zeppelin is very similar to some floyd)

they have the same managere in Peter Grant, they both have kinda the majestic air about them (for their fans at least).

they both love jamming.

The Wall and Zoso had very close record sales.

There are way more similarities than you realize.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Both bands are some of the most succesful bands ever. Lot's of their songs are similar (money is close to zeppelin, some later zeppelin is very similar to some floyd)
    they have the same managere in Peter Grant, they both have kinda the majestic air about them (for their fans at least).
    they both love jamming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite honestly Floyd have nothing in common with Zeppelin. Zeppelin in their most talented and best shape shouldn't even be mentioned in the same mind set with Floyd. Zeppelin is a very overrated band that only released one album where every song was worth morth than 1 listen and that was their first. I find more enjoyment listening to the Jerry Springer show(which I despise) than I do 90% of all Zeppelin's material. Most of it is sloppy and tasteless at best, but Houses Of The Holy and Led Zeppelin are both very fine albums.

Now Floyd on the other hand, if you mentioned The Wall being your deciding factor for choosing Floyd or if you mentioned the Wall having anything to do with you liking Floyd then you should choose Zeppelin. Just like Led Zeppelin 4, The Wall is the bands worst album. I despise the majority of the Wall, it's the farthest thing from Floyd, that is more Blue Floyd. Just like Led Zeppelin 4 is Led Blimp.

But after all in the end Floyd has my vote without a second thought. Just like almost every band to ever form, regardless of their status, they could never match up with Pink Floyd. Floyd was and still is light years ahead of any band.

Pink Floyd and Zeppelin don't sound anything alike in their music.

I'm a big fan of both bands but my vote goes to Zeppelin.

Pink Floyd because I am not a fan of Led Zeppelin at all.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    they both love jamming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite honestly Floyd have nothing in common with Zeppelin. Zeppelin in their most talented and best shape shouldn't even be mentioned in the same mind set with Floyd. Zeppelin is a very overrated band that only released one album where every song was worth morth than 1 listen and that was their first. I find more enjoyment listening to the Jerry Springer show(which I despise) than I do 90% of all Zeppelin's material. Most of it is sloppy and tasteless at best, but Houses Of The Holy and Led Zeppelin are both very fine albums.

Now Floyd on the other hand, if you mentioned The Wall being your deciding factor for choosing Floyd or if you mentioned the Wall having anything to do with you liking Floyd then you should choose Zeppelin. Just like Led Zeppelin 4, The Wall is the bands worst album. I despise the majority of the Wall, it's the farthest thing from Floyd, that is more Blue Floyd. Just like Led Zeppelin 4 is Led Blimp.

But after all in the end Floyd has my vote without a second thought. Just like almost every band to ever form, regardless of their status, they could never match up with Pink Floyd. Floyd was and still is light years ahead of any band.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know, you could say you're not a fan of a band without insulting and infuriorating every fan of them

[ QUOTE ]
    Zeppelin in their most talented and best shape shouldn't even be mentioned in the same mind set with Floyd. Zeppelin is a very overrated band that only released one album where every song was worth morth than 1 listen and that was their first....Most of it is sloppy and tasteless at best.

[/ QUOTE ]
    In your humble opionion, of course.
    Do you want to encourage the Sabb Four to release a studio, demo, or official live version of "Scary Dreams" (the thus far unreleased song they debuted/performed live during their 2001 Ozzfest tour)? If so, consider becoming a fan of Scary Dreams on facebook by clicking the below link:

https://www.facebook.com/blacksabbathscarydreams

Well BONZO is certainly a more versatile drummer than Nick Mason(even though I like Nick a lot),and Jonesy is certainly a better,more advanced bass player than Roger,and his keyboard playing is right on par with Rick Wright.guitar wise i'll go with Gilmour

This is making me very uncomfortable having to weigh these two INCREDIBLE bands against each other. I'm done.

Definitely Zeppelin, but it's a bit unfair since I don't own anything by Pink Floyd (even though I've heard a great deal of their music).

[ QUOTE ]
    Led Zeppelin.

50% of Pink Floyd's stuff is just noise to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.
    Never got into PF. Too weird for me. Wish You Were Here is a beautiful song though.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    they both love jamming.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    How could this poison be the dream of my soul
    How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

Pink Floyd all the way. Zeppelin is ok, I have a few of their albums, but I find them very overrated and I am definitely no fan of Robert Plant's singing.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    they both love jamming.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you know, you could say you're not a fan of a band without insulting and infuriorating every fan of them

[/ QUOTE ]

I insulted and infuriorated you and ever fan of Zeppelin??? Wow, didnt realize I was doing that.

Well Ashley, you are not tender with ZEPPELIN mmm.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
    I love PINK FLOYD really well, it's true, but talk about LED ZEPPELIN like that ... well, it's your opinion and i'm just disagree with you and it makes just substantiated that we have the passion of our music, all of us!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It's why we are on the site!!!

I tend to prefer Zeppelin to Pink Floyd, but I agree that Floyd is way ahead in term of musical research. Most of Zeppelin's material are covers in disguise, performed by 4 extraordinary musicians, while Pink Floyd gave sense to the term "Progressive Rock".

But if you have the occasion, just try to find a live recording of Led Zeppelin from the end of the 1975 tour (february or march of the US tour - especially the Seattle or Long Beach shows -, or the Earl's Court shows from May). At this point Zeppelin had reached a level barely touchable by anyone onstage (even they never did has good). They played shows lasting between 3 and 4 hours, with impros lasting over 40 minutes on some nights, without the going twice the same way - as they would have on other tours. That year, I'd say in term of research, Led Zeppelin played in the same league as Pink Floyd.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies don’t use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of “Dehumanizer”.
    "Black Sabbath : la Bête venue de Birmingham"

How the west was won is a show from LONG BEACH but not from 75' i think, but earlier??? THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME has been made in 75' if i'm not wrong...Anyway,they were a great live band!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    How the west was won is a show from LONG BEACH but not from 75' i think, but earlier??? THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME has been made in 75' if i'm not wrong...Anyway,they were a great live band!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

"How The West Was Won" is from the shows in Long Beach from 1972 and "The Song Remains The Same" was recorded in New York in 1973. By the end of the 1975 tour, they were light years from that, I even think it coiuld be risky for them to release any show from that period. Fans would love that but I'm not sure the average listener would understand 30 minutes drums solos, more than 25 minutes long versions of "No Quarter" or 40 minutes long rendition of "Dazed And Confused" !
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies don’t use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of “Dehumanizer”.
    "Black Sabbath : la Bête venue de Birmingham"

Though I liked Zeppelin first, I'm gonna have to go with Floyd by far

Banned

I've never really got into Pink Floyd, although I suppose I should. However. I am into Led Zeppelin, so I have chosen them.

<font color="blue">Ho fuck man Pink Floyd from me for shure I love Pink Floyd
    Fav albums Meddle, Ummagumma, Animals,and Wish You were Here..</font>

I`m not keen on any of these two bands, but I like Led Zeppelin much more than I like Pink Floyd.

Zeppelin by far. I simply don't like Pink Floyd.
    I'm just a man and I am what I am,
    Nobody will ever change my ways.

Led Zeppelin definately. They're my ultimate favorite band.

part of these two bands (as with most bands but not all), if you arent into their style of music, you won't like them. if you don't like blues-rock, you won't like zeppelin. if you don't like experimental rock, you won't like floyd. i personally love both, and love both bands. but zeppelin wins out.

Not the biggest fan of either, but ill definitely go with Led Zeppelin.

Wow I dont log in often to express my opinion and I may ruffle a few but I agree with Ashly about Zep being what I call the most greatest overated band of the genre.
    Page was great in the studio but was a slopfest on tour.
    (Zep Firm Coverdal/Page)
    Great rhythm sections were a dime a dozen from 69 thru the 70's and carried many not so stellar guitar players to stardom ( see Ted Nugent).
    Gilmore could and still can keep you on the edge of your seat standing alone with the emotion in his playing.
    Plant ,now he was the shit and I enjoy his solo stuff more than Zep.
    As a youngster I always thought that Floyd, Sabbath,Purple,
    B.O.C were the tops.

PK

I think Led Zeppelin was a fantastic band and they will go down in history as one of the great rock bands of their time and beyond. I too have heard stories about their less than stellar live performances but their studio work was excellent and the How The West Was Won CD and DVD kicks major ass. I have most of their stuff and wish there were more of it.
    I had to go with Pink Floyd though. They have had such an original and diverse catalog of music over the years that has always met or exceeded their fans expectations that I believe they will go down in history as one of the --Best--
    bands ever to play either live or in studio.
    Add the fact that the departure of first front man Syd Barrett and then Roger Waters did nothing to diminish the band but instead enabled first Waters and then Gilmore to lead the band in somewhat different and fresh directions .
    So many Floyd songs over the years, upon hearing them for the first time, have made me stop whatever I'm doing at the time and just listen in awe that I've come to expect it whenever they come out with something new and I can't wait to get my hands on David Gilmore's new solo album.

^^^^It's good to see more people that aren't "It's not Floyd without Waters"

People that say that don't really know much about Pink Floyd do they? Rogers Waters had a big influence on the band and usually won the fights to get what he wanted but David Gilmore wrote quite a bit himself and wouldn't let Roger have everything his own way.