Thread: bass advice

Default bass advice

hey all

im lookin into pickin up a bass, and i was wondering was a good quality bass for under preferrably >300

thanks

Default Re: bass advice

Yamaha makes good solid and cheap basses. I started of with one and I was pleased although the sound isn't high end but you can't expect that from a low end bass [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If you want a looker I suggest the Epi Thunderbird. Tokai is pretty good too but I don't know how much they cost exactly and how solid the basses are.

Pick up a Squier Affinity P-bass, you really cannot go wrong with one of those.

do i have to get a separate amp for a bass or can i just use my guitar bass?

no, unless there is something you can do which I don't know you need a bass amp
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

[ QUOTE ]
    no, unless there is something you can do which I don't know you need a bass amp

[/ QUOTE ]

so i do need to get a bass amp? i dont really understand your answer that well.

If you have a good guitar amp you can play bass through it but the lower frequencies won't be as MAJESTIC!! So if you can afford a bass and a bass amp you'll get better results and if you don't have cash for both you'll manage. Long story short. No, you don't have to buy a bass amp.

okay thanks

Ham'r Mark

You should not play a bass through a guitar amp. The guitar amp is not made to handle the lows you want get from the bass and will sound like crap, and possibly kill your amp. You can play a guitar through a bass amp if you really wanted to. Do yourself a favour and go pick up a proper bass amp.

A Mexican made Fender p, or jazz bass should fit your budget. Look in the pawn shops for a good deal.

I have an Ibanez GSR200, and they're (coincidentally) $200 on musicians friend.

It's really a fabulous bass for the money, and it's as easy to play as my Fender '75 reissue Jazz Bass.

I'm currently letting my friend borrow it, and every time I hang out at his place, I play it again and want it back.

(The reason I don't just take it back is because he's learning how to play bass, and the Ibanez is a great bass to learn from)
    Do you want to encourage the Sabb Four to release a studio, demo, or official live version of "Scary Dreams" (the thus far unreleased song they debuted/performed live during their 2001 Ozzfest tour)? If so, consider becoming a fan of Scary Dreams on facebook by clicking the below link:

https://www.facebook.com/blacksabbathscarydreams

[ QUOTE ]
    You should not play a bass through a guitar amp. The guitar amp is not made to handle the lows you want get from the bass and will sound like crap, and possibly kill your amp. You can play a guitar through a bass amp if you really wanted to. Do yourself a favour and go pick up a proper bass amp.

A Mexican made Fender p, or jazz bass should fit your budget. Look in the pawn shops for a good deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, some Basses have louder "pickups" than others, and the bass Amps have Speakers that are bigger in size so that the lower Frequencies are catered for, why do you think they make Bass Amplifiers, and Guitar Amplifiers!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/doh.gif[/img]