Default 92-94 Era Sabbath and Alice in Chains

This post will be short and open to discussion.

So I was listening to Alice in Chains, a rock band from the early 90's with an undeniable Sabbath influence, and couldn't help but notice how similar some of their songs sound to various 92-94 era Sabbath songs (compare "Virtual Death" to "Angry Chair"). Any opinions on this?

Default Re: 92-94 Era Sabbath and Alice in Chains

Yeah, the first time I heard Virtual Death, I thought it was very Alice In Chains like.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

I'M a great fan of DIRT and of course, it's SABBATH'S influences but they developped with their own sound and Melody! I think that IOMMI is a fan of ALICE IN CHAINS... I understand cos They were genious about MELODY...

I am a fan of both bands, and yea "Dirt" is one of my favorite AIC albums, and while there are some similarities, I really think not too much of a comparision can be drawn, Alice in Chains being a more grunge band, that genre, while Sabbath stuck to pure heavy metal. AIC has some metal influences but really they are more grunge.

When I first listen to that song, I thought that was like AIC.
    Now I think that the sound of Virtual Death is similar to AIC in the voices, but not in the instrumentation.
    The bass line is awesome! And the guitar sounds heavier than any AIC song.

There's no such thing as "grunge". Those Seattle bands did not create anything "new", Sabbath had done the very same thing 20 years prior to "grunge". Most of the Seattle bands were hugely influenced by Sabbath because Sabbath was the real deal. Sabbath were the opposite of everything that was considered to be part of "the system".

I always considered AIC to be the Sabbath of the 90's. I've mixed songs from Dirt with songs from Dehumanizer many times and there always seems to be a particular flow with material from these two bands.

Even Staley had that droning style similar to Ozzy's.

I always thought the fast guitar part in "Psychophobia" sounded like/was a stab back at Pearl Jam -- sounds very similar to their guitar parts in "even flow"