Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help April! She`s planning to buy a guitar!

I never thought this will happen this sudden, I dreamed about this moment! but now another problem stands before me.. the guitar isn`t the biggest problem but the amp is.

First problem:

*Epiphone g-310 (~$243) or g-400(~$370)?

Second problem:

*should I buy an amp? or something like V-amp and plug it to my hi-fi?

I only want it to sound right.. I don`t need any effects or high power.

I assume someone has one of these models, so can you tell me how it sounds? I wonder if I should buy a cheaper guitar and rather good amp, or a more expensive guitar and a cheaper amp.......

I will be grateful for any advice [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Default Re: Help April! She`s planning to buy a guitar!

I've heard different things about that guitar...but as long as you try it out, shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the amp goes, it depends what you wanna do. If you wanna just record stuff and not so much jam with other people, you don't really need an amp. You would need some software for it.
    I'm not exactly what you mean by hi fi. Do you mean a stereo?

Anyhoo, I would get an amp just to be safe. You don't need anything over 15 watts as a beginner. Crate makes some nice little practice amps.

Never buy a BC Rich guitar. I have a little 10 watt Kustom amp and it's pretty good.

sorry I don't have either model. If you've got a bit more cash to spend I'd go with a Les Paul
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

how much money are you willing to shell out?!

heres what i would do:
    Buy a standard fender strat (great guitar, ok price).
    Plug it into amp that wont kill your wallet. like evil woman said, an amp nothing over 15 watts for now. i suggest maybe a 15 watt marshall amp is what i use.

Zakk Wylde Buzzsaw CHEAP!

I am killing myself about if I should jump on this [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
    How Good It Feels
    And thatís for real"

I started off playing through a Karaoke machine so you don't need an amp immediately.

I don't know how those guitars play but make sure you play on em for a while before buying (even if you don't know any songs just strum and make sure they sound good)

Uh, does it have to be Epiphone? I'd go for a Fender or Ibanez... but it all depends on how much money you can spend on that.

I got a good new Ibanez bass for about $280...
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

oh how nice that I got so many replies [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess i didn`t write most important thigs

I still don`t know how much money I want to spend. That`s because I don`t know if this G-310 is much worse than g-400, because then I could buy a better amp.

I don`t want record it or jam, I just want it to sound good. oh an I`ve been playing the classical guitar since July.

I`m very picky and so I want only g-310 or g-400 :] it`s just the most beautiful guitar I can afford I love it! I`ve played it once in a store, and of course i`m going to play it more before I will decide.

What do you mean that I don`t need an amp, just a software? My boyfriend says that it depends on a sound card, and mine will not be good, he says there will be a delay. But it would be awesome if I could just plug it to my computer.

Do you know this amp? -> Marshall MG15CD, 15 W. it costs $100, it`s the cheapest 15 W one. But is it any good? there is also a cheaper one - 10 W. I guess just have to go the the store and find out myself

Evil Woman - by Hi-Fi I meant stereo. We just call it polish Hi-Fi "Tower"

I went down to the music store and checked it out and the Marshall MG15CD is a GREAT practice amp! With two chanles
    an EQ and a really wide range of tones I fell in love with the little bugger myself. The distortion is great and with this amp you won't need to buy any extra pedals to flesh it out.The only draw back with it is that its not really loud enough to play or practice with a band but if the situation arises you can just mike it up through the sound board and you'll be fine.
    If, on the other hand you're just going to use it at home you really couldn't do any better for the price.
    I'd say go for it. I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

oh! how nice! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] that`s really good news. This cheaper one may be only a little worse is it a big difference between 15 Watts and 10 Watts?

As long as you play without a band, 10 Watts will do the job.

I didn't see a 10W when I was there but really, the 15W is only like 109.00$ and 5W makes a big differance when your dealing with amps this small. Even if you're just playing in your bedroom you want to be able to HEAR it! Something else I forgot to mention. There is a headphone jack and an output jack so you can hook the amp up to your HI-FI or a deck really easy. Its a cool little amp.

i would just go for the 15 watts. and plus, the marshall 15 amps actually have quite some power for a small amp.

[ QUOTE ]
    Never buy a BC Rich guitar. I have a little 10 watt Kustom amp and it's pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay i hear people say this all the time and i want to know specific problems

i have a warlock, and i love it. maybe i think its great because i've never played better, but its a good guitar for the price (180 bucks).

what are the problems? sound quality? strings? tune? because i have to tune mine probably every two to three weeks but thats not a bother, cuz i feel like im making myself better.

I've had a G400 for a little over 2 years now, and I love the thing. Highly recommended [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

oh, I`m really happy to hear that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I had a g400 and it was ok, But Have you considered one of the ESP Ltd SG type guitars?
    The g310 is not as good as the g400, with most guitars more money means better quality parts.

All marshall amps are top choices but dont expect a 15 watt combo to sound like a marshall stack.
    For an amp i'd take a look at marshalls AVT series, or Line 6 Spider amps, they have effects on board as well as a great range of sounds,
    And are amazing value for money.

If you have a V amp/pod and speakers on your pc and the right bits of cable you can use that for a practice amp.
    you can also go straight into your sound card!
    and you can record the sound if you have some software that does that.
    Delay would arise if you were using the PC to affect the sound ...overdrive/amp modelling etc and thats because of windows.

>>Have you considered one of the ESP Ltd SG type guitars?

I haven`t because I don`t know what they are [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Because I want badly g400 I can`t afford a good amp. Or probably even this 15 Watts one. And so I have to get some information about plugging the guitar to my computer. I have no idea what sound card and what programme is neccesary, and how it will sound. Anybody has any experience? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Basically the whole BC Rich guitar is a pile of crap, i can't go two days without breaking a string, and im not even playing hard on it, maybe for like 10 minutes. The input is falling apart, you don't even want me to get started on how poor quality the pickups are, they wont even stay in there, I've owned several BC Rich guitars in the past, so it's just not like I have a bad one. I used to want an Epiphone guitar, but I played one for awhile, a G-400, and it was a pile of crap, very overpriced for the quality. I'd suggest a Jackson, or better yet, an ESP guitar.

everybody`s saying different things

buying a guitar is hard, especially if your not good at making decisions. like me. if you play something at a guitar store, and like it, buy it, if your looking for a guitar. its really just personal prefrence. i may not like bc rich guitars, but someone else may love them.

yep I agree, but as you said about the strings in BC rich, I guess there are things you can`t check in the store. That`s why I wanted to ask you guys [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

There are no BS RICH guitars in our stores but if they were and if they were cheap enough I would buy them for example mocking bird!! oh I love it. Is it bad as well?

my question again : what`s ESP?

I'd go for a Squier strat. They're usually cheap and good quality.

Check 'em out here.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

ooh...i can't stand squier strats... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mryuck.gif[/img]

Really? Why is that?
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

hhhmmm...well, i guess its an ok begineer guitar...but compared to my standard fender, the squier just seems a little low quality. From string buzz, to tone quality, to the pick-ups, i just dont like it that much.

Hmmmm.... I haven't noticed any stirng buzz on mine, or problems with the pickups but I can see where you're coming from concerning thetone.

they look quite funny but I want g-400!!! and no other! :]

Well I have been playing for over 20 years and I suggest you do not go the cheap route when it comes to the guitar. A good quality guitar is more fun to play and will be played more than a cheap guitar. learning to play should be done on a mid priced guitar. As far as an amp goes I use a peavey 30watt for my practice amp and it comes with some effects so you can fool around with it.

Anyway here is Paranoid I recorded on a 8 track porta studio. I used a Fender Strat, US and plugged right into the recorder and used the internal guitar effects. So if you want to enjoy playing do not go cheap.

This recording is a home recording. I am going to record another Sabbath tune and post it. This one will be done in a proper studio so should sound allot better than this one.

http://bandmix.ca/profile900.html

The music is very good. I didn't like the vocals, but the music is really good.
    I'm just a man and I am what I am,
    Nobody will ever change my ways.

The G-400 is a good guitar at a decent price. Just do a Google search for the G-400 review and it gets some high praise from a lot of people. But in the end, regardless
    of what others say, if it feels right to you when you play it that's the one you should go for.
    If you don't know an experienced guitar player that you can have go with you when you buy your guitar make sure you have the salesman check the intonation for you before you buy it because as a novice player you might not notice any problems until after you get it home and then you'll have to pay someone to set it up for you. If its off and they won't fix it FOR FREE tell them to kiss your ass and go to another store. Believe me music stores want to sell you the guitar just as much as you want to buy it and usually you can get them to set the intonation, adjust the action, throw in a couple of free sets of strings and a cheap strap too.

[ QUOTE ]
    Basically the whole BC Rich guitar is a pile of crap, i can't go two days without breaking a string, and im not even playing hard on it, maybe for like 10 minutes. The input is falling apart, you don't even want me to get started on how poor quality the pickups are, they wont even stay in there, I've owned several BC Rich guitars in the past, so it's just not like I have a bad one. I used to want an Epiphone guitar, but I played one for awhile, a G-400, and it was a pile of crap, very overpriced for the quality. I'd suggest a Jackson, or better yet, an ESP guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about you, but I have a B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Edition, it's only broken a couple strings at max (I've replaced three and one was because it was just worn out) and everything is staying intact. The only complaint I would have is the input isn't very stable but I only have to fix it every month or so. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe you're not, but my experience has been good.

I have another question for you guys!

What is a pre-amp? I found Behringer GDI 21 which is only $15, and I wonder if I could just plug it to my stereo, without a real amp. Will it sound ok ?

Hi OzzApril,
    A Pre-Amp is something you use to "turn up" the
    "Sound" from a Guitar or Microphone that isn't
    very loud in volume.
    This maybe o.k to use to plug into your Computer
    via the soundcard, but warning it may make
    whatever Guitar you choose to buy a bit too loud
    for your computer "soundcard".
    Never by an instrument on just how it looks,you
    want to find a good guitar player to help choose
    your guitar with you, they can tell if the Frets
    are good, wether the neck is straight, and will
    it "tune up" good all over the fretboard?, and
    the height the strings are off the fretboard may
    need adjusting (Setting up) to make it play well
    Please try and find someone who can play the
    Guitar well, and take them with you to the
    Guitar shop, they may save you money, and you
    will get a good reliable instrument...good luck

That is very good advice...

Okay I have the same question and I don't feel like starting a new thread as I feel it would be redundant.

My B.C. Rich Warlock just broke (I think the wires inside fried up or something...idk it just doesn't work anymore), and for a while I've been saving up for a new guitar anyway (great timing huh?), and I want to get a Les Paul, but I definately can't afford a Gibson so I have to settle on an Epiphone. What model should I get (under preferrably $500)? What are the differences between the models? I want a good sturdy guitar that's not super super expensive, and I want it to play well clean and distorted, have a nice sharp distortion when I want it (I have a distortion pedal but I don't know if the type of guitar affects distortion at all), and to stay in tune and whatnot, basically stay strong.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    P.S.: Sorry to steal your thread April, but I felt this was the best way.

An Epiphone Les Paul should give you what you want, bear in
    mind the Les Paul "Sound" is pretty "Rounded and Fat" and if You are after a lot of "Sustain" then either a Les Paul or a PRS (Paul Reed Smith) guitar does that job nicely!.

It is my humble opinion that it is best to check out a few guitars when planning to buy, 1) there are new Guitar makers
    coming on the scene every year, 2) even trusted names like
    Epiphone..Fender...Squier...Yamaha etc.. can turn out a
    poor quality Machine...but also a new kid on the block
    Guitar Maker might just suprise you...my advice, take a guitarplaying buddy along with you...also see the advice
    I gave OzzApril.....and really try a few out and shop around
    ....You'll do O.K. have fun while looking to buy!!

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay I have the same question and I don't feel like starting a new thread as I feel it would be redundant.

My B.C. Rich Warlock just broke (I think the wires inside fried up or something...idk it just doesn't work anymore), and for a while I've been saving up for a new guitar anyway (great timing huh?), and I want to get a Les Paul, but I definately can't afford a Gibson so I have to settle on an Epiphone. What model should I get (under preferrably $500)? What are the differences between the models? I want a good sturdy guitar that's not super super expensive, and I want it to play well clean and distorted, have a nice sharp distortion when I want it (I have a distortion pedal but I don't know if the type of guitar affects distortion at all), and to stay in tune and whatnot, basically stay strong.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    P.S.: Sorry to steal your thread April, but I felt this was the best way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted a link earlyier in this thread. the link is to a Zakk Wylde Buzzsaw Les Paul for $588 with free shipping within the USA. If $588 is too much for you the site has other models which are probably cheaper.

but whats wrong with yours ?
    How Good It Feels
    And thatís for real"

thanks Cornucopia [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I`ve been already to the store, and I played g-400. Many people say it`s a rather good guitar, and I love how it looks, so decided to buy it, but I wait for my boyfriend to go with me and buy it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] he won`t let me buy crap [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

but amp.. so if I bought this Behringer pre-amp, could I just plug it to my stereo? Well the other option is buying a good soundcard and using only my computer and stereo. But I really like this pre-amp cause it`s cheap. (I made a mistake it`s not $15 but $ 50)

PS: that`s OK DCLXVI [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]