Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default what got you into sabbath????????

What got me into them is walpurgis from the ozzman cometh and then I got on media player and listened to children of the grave, electric funeral, cornucopia,sabbath bloody sabbath. Out of all of these sabbath bloody sabbath got me into them more than anything. I loved the dark ending. Then I listened to paranoid and ironman. Ever since I have been a fan.

Banned
    City:Jacare State:So Paulo Country:Brasil

Default Re: what got you into sabbath????????

I got into Black Sabbath through a Heavy Metal compilation cd in 1996 off of a mag called Showbizz from here Brasil.

The bands were Black Sabbath, Venom, Uriah Heep, Wasp, Psycho Motel , The Almighty, Motorhead and Helloween.

The first three songs were the Sabbath tunes and in order they were Symptom Of The Universe, Neon Knights and Trashed. I liked the Sabbath tunes, but i was more into Uriah Heep and Motorehead songs on the cd.

But there was a store to rent cd's in my city and i went there and just came across Black Sabbath Forever compilation and there was all the classics. I rented it, got home and when i put the cd to play, the first song was Black Sabbath and that rain and bells i was wondering what would come.

When i heard that riff and the next song i think was Iron Man, i just got to say that it changed my life really.

BLACK SABBATH FOREVER!

It's MASTER OF REALITY and INTO THE VOID at 12 years old! I'm 41 now! lol You know, at that time at school,we were just 4 or 5 who loved SABBATH fanatically! All the others were into GENESIS, YES and a bit ZEPPELIN...But the great majority were GENESIS FANS! I remember that they said:" SABBATH?? it's too heavy...And you know what??? I'm again like i was at 12.... FANATIC! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm sad to say....The Osbournes...

The Osbournes -> Ozzy -> Sabbath
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thats for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Primus' version of N.I.B. with Ozzy singing. I thought the song kicked major amounts of ass, and didnt learn until quite some time later that it wasnt the Sabbath version!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] It's not important! So long as you know the music of SABBATH,it's the main object!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I always thought Ozzy was hilarious and once I learned he was in a band I just had to check it out. My dad bought Paranoid for me, popped it in and put on Iron Man and I didn't realize until a few weeks later what I had just heard (I was heavy into rap/hip hop at the time so I didn't pay too much attention). Heck, the first time I heard Iron Man I thought the first line was "Ozzy lost his mind" haha.

I then proceeded to go through a 7 month stint where I only listened to Sabbath, brought my cd count up to 6 (including a greatest hits cd I traded to my dad for official ownership of Paranoid), and it all went from there.

2 words

Iron

man

I visited a DIO gig here, and since I heard that Dio was in Black Sabbath, I decided to check out this music (I already had some Rainbow albums by that time, as I was into Deep Purple). Dunno why I bought the first album and Vol.4 instead of going straight for Heaven and Hell, but I did. I liked the music, and even the vocals somehow. When I found Heaven and Hell and all the stuff beyond, well that was it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] It's not important! So long as you know the music of SABBATH,it's the main object!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Couldn't agree anymore.

For me, I remember hearing Iron Man on the radio when I was 10. I was coming back from soccer and I had a concussion and that song came on the radio. It was one of those songs I remembered perfectly even though I heard it only once. A short time after, I heard Crazy Train on the radio. I hated it, LOL.

I then saw his Behind the Music at 11 or 12 and really fell in love with him and the music. I was way more into Sabbath than Ozzy Osbourne. I really thought Crazy Train sucked hardcore. I didn't get into his music into a lot later.

After seeing his BTM, I went out and got Paranoid. I downloaded a bunch of their stuff on Kazaa and then I bought the Black Box in 2004.

And here I am today. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sad to say it, but The Osbournes, bot me and dad were like yeah i wouldnt mind hearing some of Ozzy's music, i heard paranoid from the queens concert, then saw a dvd of the sabbath story, bought it, then reunion, then the black box, and more ozzy stuff after that...... tv works man, i thank sharon for commin up with that, cause now im a sabbath/sabbath related solos fan!
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

I got into hard rock/heavy metal in 1983 when I was 12. Led Zeppelin started it all for me. I was also heavily into AC/DC and Iron Maiden at this point.

I'd heard a bit of Sabbath before, but what really got me into them was hearing the song "Black Sabbath" for the first time at my friend's house. His cousin had taped him the first album and he pressed the play button on his tape player and enthusiastically said to me, "Listen to this!"

I got a copy of the first album done too, and went out the following weekend and bought "Paranoid".
    >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

It began with Ozzy, i saw one of his videos on TV, then i got Ozzman Cometh, after a few months i started to like Black Sabbath and Valpurgis/War Pigs.
    I saw on the web after War Pigs and found Paranoid (album), ordered it and was totally chained to Black Sabbath.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Same with me except put paranoid album between Ozzy and Sabbath
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was sort of the same thing for me. Although I had listened to Black Sabbath when I was younger and really liked them, I had forgotten about them. The Osbournes really made me think "Hey, that's the guy who sang in Black Sabbath!" So I dug out my dads old Black sabbath compilation and listened to it. It was awesome and I remembered how much I had liked them. When I started to listen to Sabbath again, I also started to discover Ozzy's music and for a period I enoyed his music more than Sabbath, probobly becaus it's more easy to listen to and more comersially/mainstream sounding.

So for me it would look a bit like this:

Black Sabbath -> Nothing -> The Osbournes -> Black Sabbath -> Ozzy -> Black Sabbath [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Wow, there are a lot more people who started liking this band (or reliking this band) because of the Osbournes than I thought!

Which is not a problem of course. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It was a rather amusing show from time to time.

The person who got me into Black Sabbath would have to be my camp leader I had at a summer camp two years ago. The camp leader happened to own the Black Box and as a result, all throughout that one week, he would play classic Black Sabbath songs on numerous occasions to all the campers in my group. It was because of me hearing such classic songs as Paranoid, Iron Man, and Children of the Grave that I ended up being hooked to listening to Black Sabbath and as a result, I bought my first Black Sabbath cd Paranoid a few weeks later after the camp session ended.

I bought Heaven & Hell in, like, 2000.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

I was looking through my uncle's cd and tape collection and i was just picking band names that sounded cool and asking him if they are any good. When i asked about Sabbath he mentioned that Ozzy was the lead singer on that album so i decided to have a listen. Been hooked since.

oh man...well...

i knew of Ozzy and I knew Ozzy was in Sabbath and that Dio had just taken over the mic. I heard Over The Mountain, Flying High Again, Tonight and You Can't Kill Rock & Roll A LOT on the radio. Ironically I'd never heard anything from Blizzard until later. Of course I had also heard the Sabbath standards on the radio as well (Paranoid, Iron Man). I first had the Paranoid LP and dug it but was far more into Zeppelin and Purple at the time. I first heard the Dio incarnation from the Heavy Metal soundtrack. To me, it was a totally different beast than what I knew from Paranoid. A friend of mine had H&H and MR's so I taped them and loved em both. So from that point I wanted to get a little more into the history of Sabbath. Based on the album covers alone, I bought NSD and TE. I thought they where good but not great. It wasn't until I heard SBS that I was locked in and then I got my grubby little hands on Vol.4. After that, Sabbath where my new band and Zeppelin and Purple fell back to second and third. As my musical taste expanded to did my love for Sabbath. for me, they complete the circle and did it in a way as to not "sell out" so to speak. They where the band for the misfits and the people who knew something that everyone else seemed to have missed out on.

They are a phenomenon. Even when Dio joined at first and Ward was still on board Sabbath where a juggernaut. When MB came around you could start to tell that the brotherhood, the phenomenon was slipping. I know the die hard Iommi fans hate to hear that but it's simply the truth.

Do you have to bring that up every chance you get? Seriously, it's nothing personal man, and I have no problem at all with people's opinions on the matter, but that will most likely start yet another 200 posts thread about wether it should be called Sabbath after Ozzy or not! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

relax. it's just an opinion and my story of what got me into Black Sabbath. I don't understand where your huffing and puffing is coming from...I post out here on average of once every two weeks.

if you don't like what i write, then don't read it

In my case it looks like this:

Dreamer->The Osbournes-> Down to earth, Blizzard of Ozz
    -> The Best of Black Sabbath this with 32 songs)

But I became an Ozzy solo fan, and the Black Sabbath, if there was no Ozzy solo, Sabbath would not be enough to make me their fan. But of course then I got wiser, and now I prefer Black Sabbath to Ozzy solo.

The devil made me do it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though I was at a friends and he had the paranoid album on his turntable,yup good old vinly.They had/have the sound I couldn't shake from my head and the sound of Ozzy's voice.I until then have not heard a singer quite like Ozzy and then the wall of sound backing him up, effin' awesome. !

well, a curious story here. I was a Faith No More fan back in 1990, and I bought the "The Real Thing" LP, and the song that i liked the most of that LP was a song called... War Pigs... I didnt realize that was a Sabbath song until 1994, when I went to a Monsters of Rock show, with slayer, sabbath and kiss (because a friend of mine was a kiss fan), here in Argentina. Yeah, they played War Pigs, with Tony Martin on voices... Now Im a Sabbath fan (ah, and I listened to Cross Purposes first than Paranoid, because I went to the cd store and bought the first sabbath cd I saw, Ive listened to Ozzy two months later, wen I bought the Greates Hits cd )

It all started with N.I.B. it was a two way deal also...the guitar solo got me into guitar playing, and the song got me into black sabbath and good rock and metal music in general

Dad had a greatest hits collection called Rock Classics.
    CD 1 contained the song Paranoid among many other classics from Motrhead and Purple etc.

The only song I certainly recognzied was Smoke on the Water and We will Rock You.

But I listened to all songs, and Paranoid, annoyed me, or rather, the line: "Make a joke and I will sigh and You will laugh..."

I thought: How useless! And started to listen to it alot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Then I got obessed by the song, listen to that track only, maybe 5-10 times a day.

After that I checked out Dad's other Ozzy CD:s, because I didn't realize it was Sabbath, not Ozzy who wrote it.
    The only Ozzy CD:s I found that I found that wasn't LP:s was Ozzman Cometh and No Rest For The Wicked.
    I decided to copy some of the music from the one with the best cover, wich was Ozzman Cometh.
    I took all songs, except Black Sabbath and Warpigs, wich I didn't like.

Then finally got a couple of Sabbath songs via Kazaa so I luckily got into them too.

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red
    Give me the wine you keep the bread

For me it was Castle's "Between Heaven & Hell" compilation.

I bought for 9 in a local record shop in January '96. Track #1 "Hole in the Sky" - f**king hell, this is the sh*t!!!

Been hooked ever since

Back in the 80es I was (and still am) a big Deep Purple fan. I bough Sabbath then and hated it. Compared with the colourful music of Purple, Sabbath sounded grey and dark to my ears. They still sound the same, btw, but I have learned to like this kind of music too... Well, I never liked what I heard back there, except for 2 or 3 songs. But then a friend of mine gave me a tape and told me: This is a new hot band I found. Check it out!! I put it in my player and I though: Holy shit, this is a hell of a vocalist this band have. I loved that tape a lot. My friend told me then "Ok, so you don't like Sabbath? This is Sabbath. The tape was "Headless Cross". Then I began collectioning everything about the band, and hey, I even like the Ozzy era a lot now :-)

Hearing Born Again in 83, already a huge Gillan fan and I just loved BA, stared to listen to Sabbath then.

Several years back I got into Black Sabbath, I was always a big Dio fan, then the Dehumanizer album came out, I picked it up, and was blown away. To this day it's one of my favorite albums ever, after hearing those opening lines as little kid on Computer God, I was hooked...

After that I bought "Heaven and Hell" then later "Mob Rules" and "Live Evil." Then the whole Tony Martin reunion thing happened, I got into him. Now I may even love his vocals more than Dio! I gradually have bought all the ozzy stuff, but I don't like it as much.

So to answer this thread it was Dio, Dehumanizer, and Computer God that hooked me! I have been a sab fan ever since!

Pundan

Through my dad who owned their first record on vinyl.

Speak of the Devil, well not really true Black Sabbath, but they were the songs, and that's all that matters. Kenny G could do a cover of a Black Sabbath song and I'd probably like it.

A school friend's brother left him his 1970's early '80s
    record collection, to look after when he joined the R.A.F. In this collection were all the big bands
    of that era, Purple, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Uriah heep, Free,
    Wishbone Ash, Nazareth, April Wine, Emerson Lake & Palmer,
    Alice Cooper, Rainbow, Paice Ashton & Lord etc...
    Boy, did me and my friend have fun with the tape recorder!!
    we didn't like the music of the Mid 1980's (oh yeah, Judas Priest and Rush were there too!!) and we thought that these bands were so cool....Purple..Sabbath..Zeppelin..in a few
    months became my favourites.......and now I live knee deep
    in my own music collection, and it is no small thing to say
    that my friend's brothers music changed my outlook on life
    I've played, still playing in Bands, seen loads of Concerts
    and become a College Music Teacher...I reckon that old record collection did me a favour!!!!!

A Radio Station Playing "Digital Bitch" Back When It First Came Out In '83, So I Was About Sixteen. I Didn't Get Into Sabbath Until I Was Already Into Metal... My Older Brother(Who Also Got Me Into Judas Priest) Had Several Ozzy-Era Sabbath Albums That I Began To Listen To. And Throughout the 1980's I Got More And More Into That Post-Ozzy Era Of Sabbath Which Is Why I Like It Better Than The Ozzy Era.

my father, he is also a sabbath fan

You will laugh but it's Busta Rhymes ( or some kind of gangsta rapper ) who made a remake of Iron Man... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/doh.gif[/img] with rap on the riff... Very ''yark'' but I said '' oh the riff is good! '' and my father to say:'' it's from Iron Man of a band named Black Sabbath!'' So at the Christmas of my 15years old my big brother gave me the Paranoid album and I just felt in love with Sabbath... and so I bought (or received) all the ozzy-era albums! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love.gif[/img]

Hohohohohoooo
    1.Osbournes
    2.Ozzy solo
    3.Sabbath

I found Sabbath Bloody Sabbath-cassette from library and took it home. I was a bit sceptical for it first, because those days I was a typical teen and listened only "mainstream" bands. But when I put the cassette on my player, it just blew my mind. I've been a fan ever since. I think this happened during the winter of 1993/1994, when I was 15 or 16 years old.

I knew Iron Man ages ago. But it was only when I first heard Paranoid on my classic rock station (CHOM 97.7 FM for all you Quebecers here). It got me to buy Paranoid and Master of Reality with the next 2 months. I have been a fan since and have downloaded a few songs to sample to other eras (thanks to this site for getting me curious). Within a year of being a Sabbath fan I learned to love most of the Ozzy era (especially NSD), embrace the Dio years and allow the Martin albums to grow on me. Though I don't own all the albums officially, I can honestly say I never heard a Sabbath song I didn't like so far.