Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: what got you into sabbath????????

One Sunday morning in 1980 my friend Andrew and I had just come back from our Methodist Sunday School and for a dare we played his older brother's copy of 'We Sold Our Souls...'. In my house we listened to classical, welsh folk and chapel music so I'd heard very little popular music, certainly nothing to prepare me for 'Warpigs' - but I was hooked. Although I didn't become a massive Sabbath fan I did like a lot of bands that they had influenced such as Diamond Head and Shiva. Later I tended to be drawn to the more grandiose side of rock, mainly Rainbow, which brought me back to the Sabbath via Ronnie James Dio.

Recently I came back to my old LPs and have been filling in the blanks on eBay.

The Kingdom of Spain (is the Kingdom of Gods)

In my case I got into Sabbath thanks to Metallica. They did a cover of Sabbra Cadabra in 1998 and I simply loved those riffs, being curious about Sabbath. I bought a cheap early days collection (with Paranoid as only "classic"!) and I really got stuck with The Writ, besides I liked how eclectic they sounded. Not much time later, I bought SBS and when came home and played it, I knew that I´d always be hooked on them. From then on I started to buy all their albums, and the Ozzy ones, becoming a big fan of any band´s era.

I was a huge KISS fan back in 1976-79, then in the 8th grade a classmate turned me on to "We Sould Our Souls..".
    The first song he played was Iron Man and I was hooked and I was hooked.

I was looking on ebay last year when I was 13 and I saw a Paranoid tape for about 2.50 euro inc postage, so I took a chance. Best bargain I ever got.

Jazmyn

I became a Sabbath fan in 1970 when I first heard them.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Germany => Hessen => Kelkheim (near Frankfurt)

...How I became a freak you can resd in the "Smoke on the Water"-Thread... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

well, I don't really remember that well. I only remember the recent part, where I finally realized what the good music was (hard rock, heavy metal, older stuff though not so much the latest stuff) and I started listening to that sort. Then I discovered Black Sabbath, eventually realized Sabbath and Ozzy were different bands and I liked them both. I listened to Ozzy and got hooked on Randy Rhoads' amazing guitar playing and was an Ozzy fanatic for a little while. Then I started listening more to Heaven and Hell, and it brought me over to Sabbath more. I finally realized all of Sabbath was better than Ozzy solo.

I guess I could technically thank Dio for Heaven and Hell, even though I prefer the Ozzy Era as the only era over Dio.
    -rar

My father... Sins of the father...

Hehe, nah really.
    The whole thing started back in 1988 when I was approximately
    1 year old. My mother and father bought me a small stereo which they filled with fine loving music, for me to hear, while sleeping / resting / playing etc etc.
    But the cassetts was full of soft 80's music, and my father
    replaced the contents of the cassetts with Black Sabbath.
    It began when my father let me fall asleep to Black Sabbath.
    I have always listened to Sabbath, while my friends had child music in their freestyles, I had War Pigs. I can also remember
    that my father bought both Tyr, Dehumanizer and Cross Purposes back in the early to mid nineties, those were the times...
    Though My real fanatic interest in Tony Iommi and his music started back in 2002 or something.

grendle88

i first heard the paranoid album from a friend,from then on...i was hoooked

My mom bought the Last Supper DVD when I was in 9th grade ... from the moment I heard "War Pigs", and later on when I heard, "Electric Funeral", the sounds of rock filled my head, and eventually I watched it myself and have never looked back since. ^ ^
    How could this poison be the dream of my soul
    How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

I was 10 years old and at a friend's house. His older cousin had the first Sabbath album and played it constantly (we were stuck inside because of rain). It was probably the only copy of the record in Warwick, R.I. (where I lived at the time).

We thought my friend's cousin was cool, so we listened and actually liked it. A few weeks later he came by with Paranoid - a brand new release - and we were blown away. I asked for those recordings (my first two records) for Christmas and have kept up with Sabbath ever since. At 11 we took the bus to Providence to see Black Sabbath at the Palace Concert Theater (or Ocean State Theater ... it had a couple of different names). That was in 1971, and I haven't missed a Black Sabbath performance since.

God, I feel old [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

"Fused" actually. Kept hearing about this great album that Glenn Hughes was going to be on. (Big Purple fan!) Picked it up and totally fell for "Wasted Again." Within 2 months, I had bought every single Sabbath album. Love Ozzy, but find that I've retired those albums but am still listening to Dio, Gillan and Martin-fronted albums. And, oddly enough, not listening to "Fused" too much either at this point.

leftysg

New guy here; I can remember the date. April 7,1970 and at my future Bro-in-laws house he was playing Black Sabbath. I was an avid fan of horror movies and was absolutely hooked at that time. Have been ever since.

Banned

Welcome, Lefty. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Back in the early 80's I listened a lot to the Rainbow albums with Dio. I bought Live Evil beacuse it looked so cool and discovered Dio was the singer. So I began listening to the Dio albums with Sabbath and also continued with Dio solo album Holy Diver when it came out.
    A friend of mine at school was an Ozzy-freak and he introduced me to the Sabbath albums with Ozzy and Ozzy's solo career.
    Since then I've been a great fan of all Sabbath eras (except the Gillan and Hughes albums) and Ozzy's and Dio's solo careers.
    God knows as your dognose

I was sitting with my friends in a pub. There was also a jukebox but nothing played. So I came to it and found Black Sabbath. I had heard about this band only that they played heavy metal. So I randomly choosed one song which totally hooked me to Sabbath...Sweet Leaf, the riffs were probably the heaviest I have ever heard and I liked it very much. Since then Black Sabbath is my most favourite band.

My friend had the Ozzy version of Ironman on a cassette tape. I loved it and looked up some sabbath stuff and here I am [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Back in the early 80's when I was maybe around 11 or 12 years old I would hear Ozzy's Speak Of The Devil coming through my wall from my neighbor's bedroom. I would have to guess there was maybe 10 inches separating our room’s cause the music came through loud and clear. I loved it and looked forward to it at bedtime every night. I ‘m pretty sure he was playing it loud cause he was having sex with his girlfriend. Nevertheless, that was my first real and personal introduction to Ozzy and Sabbath...I was hooked. I went and borrowed Bark at the Moon when it came out from a friend and taped it, my parents would not allow me to buy records just yet. Soon after, I joined the Ozzy fan club. I bought my first Sabbath album Sabotage on cassette a couple of years later and it has remained one of my all-time favorites only behind Pink Floyd's The Wall. Actually, I have a tough time deciding the aforementioned albums and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath as my all-time favorite but that's a whole different other story. Anyway, every time I listen to Speak Of The Devil it brings back a lot of memories as a kid hanging out on the steps listening to Asia, The Doors, Zeppelin and of course Black Sabbath and Ozzy on the boom box. Time sure has gone by pretty fast.

I was into rap when I was 13 or so.
    I found Paranoid by Black Sabbath in the library. The name, Black Sabbath, made me think it was some kinda urban rap group, so I rented the CD. The second I put it on, I was hooked. It was like God entering my life.

Ozzy’s Speak Of The Devil got me into Sabbath, once I listened to the originals, from there on end I was hooked.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

I knew Sabbath from the first time i started to hear Rock Music 10 years ago. I saw the Live Aid concert and when i saw Sabbath, i freaked out because of the looks. The Black clothes, the big crosses scared the crap out of me and because of that, i couldnt hear Sabbath because i had this image in mind.

At the beginning of this year, i was into Gillan's solo stuff and after searching, i remembered his collaboration. I knew about this collaboration but after hearing the Born Again riff and seeing the cover, i was scared more and i didnt want to get into Sabbath. So, almost 10 years after, i decided to give another chance to Black Sabbath. I heard the Born Again album, i heard some of Dio's stuff cause i am a Deep Purple family fanatic and i knew Dio from collaboration with Rainbow. I heard those i mentioned, i heard some of Tony Martin's stuff and i stuck with Sabbath since.....
    Last edited by tsimisde; 04-03-2019 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsimisde View Post
    I knew Sabbath from the first time i started to hear Rock Music 10 years ago. I saw the Live Aid concert and when i saw Sabbath, i freaked out because of the looks. The Black clothes, the big crosses sacred the crap out of me and because of that, i couldnt hear Sabbath because i had this image in mind.

At the beginning of this year, i was into Gillan's solo stuff and after searching, i remembered his collaboration. I knew about this collaboration but after hearing the Born Again riff and seeing the cover, i was sacred more and i didnt want to get into Sabbath. So, almost 10 years after, i decided to give another chance to Black Sabbath. I heard the Born Again album, i heard some of Dio's stuff cause i am a Deep Purple family fanatic and i knew Dio from collaboration with Rainbow. I heard those i mentioned, i heard some of Tony Martin's stuff and i stuck with Sabbath since.....
    Great story Tsimisde, I've always liked scary stuff.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

When I heard the song Paranoid on the radio growing up as a kid in the 1980's.

Back in 2001, I was playing a video game called "Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2." In the game there was an option to choose the song while you played a level. I repeatedly kept choosing and replaying Black Sabbath's Paranoid song. I was a freshman in high school and 9/11 happened around the same time, so a lot of stuff was going on and I couldn't bother to remember a song or band that I heard from a video game.

Fast forward 4 years later, it was the summer/fall and I had just started college. I had moved about 4 hours away from home, didn't know anyone, and my roommate who I felt comfortable opening up to had to withdraw from classes due to breaking his leg. Before he left, we went to the Housing department set up an agreement where once he came back to college, he and I would continue to be roommates. This meant I wouldn't have a roommate during the summer and fall semesters. Being an introvert, I stayed in my dorm room almost the entire time, and without a social life, I turned toward music to keep sane.

The TV show The Osbournes had just recently ended. I never got into the show, just saw clips of re-runs here and there on TV, but it was a show that I was familiar with and knew Ozzy was a singer. Like a lot kids during this time, I started downloading songs from P2P file sharing programs or searching for songs on Youtube which had recently been created. While looking for Ozzy songs, I stumbled onto Black Sabbath, and more specifically, the song Paranoid. I instantly remembered that song from the BMX video game, but never remembered what it was called or who played it. Now that I knew who the band was, I started searching for more of their songs and have been hooked since then.
    Last edited by Dante_Doomsday; 09-16-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante_Doomsday View Post
    Back in 2001, I was playing a video game called "Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2." In the game there was an option to choose the song while you played a level. I repeatedly kept choosing and replaying Black Sabbath's Paranoid song. I was a freshman in high school and 9/11 happened around the same time, so a lot of stuff was going on and I couldn't bother to remember a song or band that I heard from a video game.

Fast forward 4 years later, it was the summer/fall and I had just started college. I had moved about 4 hours away from home, didn't know anyone, and my roommate who I felt comfortable opening up to had to withdraw from classes due to breaking his leg. Before he left, we went to the Housing department set up an agreement where once he came back to college, he and I would continue to be roommates. This meant I wouldn't have a roommate during the summer and fall semesters. Being an introvert, I stayed in my dorm room almost the entire time, and without a social life, I turned toward music to keep sane.

The TV show The Osbournes had just recently ended. I never got into the show, just saw clips of re-runs here and there on TV, but it was a show that I was familiar with and knew Ozzy was a singer. Like a lot kids during this time, I started downloading songs from P2P file sharing programs or searching for songs on Youtube which had recently been created. While looking for Ozzy songs, I stumbled onto Black Sabbath, and more specifically, the song Paranoid. I instantly remembered that song from the BMX video game, but never remembered what it was called or who played it. Now that I knew who the band was, I started searching for more of their songs and have been hooked since then.
    Great story Dante, thanks for sharing with us.

My Dad. He played Sabbath and Bowie loads. And you wanted to be into a particular band as a kid. Suppose it made you look cool. Its stayed with me big time right up to this very day. That will never change.

Interesting to read your stories guys. Here's mine (and it may be quite long):

Around 2002/03 during my final school/ college years I discovered 'heavy metal' thanks to my mate next door. He used to collect Kerrang magazines and as they often included free CDs I started taking a listen and immediately got into Rammstein (my first true love ). I then got into other German metal bands after joining a few forums (I was really into learning German also because I had a great teacher at school).

About a year or so later I started listening to other 'modern' metal bands like System of a Down, Slipknot, Korn etc all the while practically ignoring all the old classic bands at the time. I just guessed they sounded like the Shadows - sort of crap light guitar music or just too extreme for my ears. It was a kind of crazy naivety but this was someone coming from a very small secluded town in South West England and with very slow internet (and I mean really slow).

Then a short while after I started my first job, I remember I was in a supermarket browsing through the magazines and Classic Rock magazine took my fancy. There was one article I really liked so I decided to buy it and took out a subscription. I was just amazed to learn about all these bands I had never known about and how they affected so many people in the rock/ metal world.

For Christmas, I can't really remember how I ended up with them but somehow I got the Best of Albums of Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. However I didn't listen to them at all until the summer after I had read more of my Classic Rock magazines. (Crazy as it sounds I never bothered to listen to these bands - I was just captivated by the stories). After a while I found a website which streamed popular songs by artists with low streaming quality. So I put in the names of some bands and immediately after a few bars of some Sabbath songs I was thinking 'wow Sabbath are like the best band ever'. Also a few others - Iron Maiden and Kiss also took my fancy.

Then one day I was trying to clear up my attic and I came across the greatest hits album by Black Sabbath. Remembering that I liked the sound of their riffs from a while ago, I decided I would stick it on loud so I could hear it from the attic door as I was sorting out. First track Black Sabbath - the quiet intro was captivating and then the first doomy riff kicked in - and...... I didn't like it. My reaction was like - what the f*ck is this? Ozzy's lines simply made my skin crawl especially 'Satan sitting there he's smiling' - it just made me screw up my face in disgust and I thought this can't be the right band. So I thought I would end the album early and go down and put something else on. As I was coming down the doomy riff stopped and there was a slight pause. Then the fast paced riff kicked in and I thought 'wow this sounds interesting' so I listened further. And then when the guitar solo kicked in I thought - wow how could I ever have not known about this amazing stuff.

I turned off the CD as soon as the song ended. Why might you ask? I thought to myself that was really amazing and better than anything else I had heard up to that point. I went onto google and found the Sabbath discography and I said to myself - let's start right from the beginning - I will get the first Sabbath album and go from there as if I were a fan right from the beginning.

A week or so later - I got the first Black Sabbath album, along with the first albums by Iron Maiden, Kiss, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple - my first batch of the golden oldies. It was the Sabbath one that mesmerised me - I spent ages staring at that cover (albeit just the CD cover). The whole album was like discovering God - how I could have been alive without knowing this stuff existed. A month later I got Paranoid and my Sabbath listening odyssey was cemented.

What also began with Sabbath was my strange autistic like attitude to how I like to listen to bands - 99% of cases I will listen to a band's discography in chronological order regardless of the reputation of certain albums. It's a tradition that started then with Sabbath and will hopefully continue until my final days.
    Last edited by sin - lum; 04-02-2019 at 06:52 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to sin - lum For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (04-06-2019)

Thanks for sharing Sim-Lum, love hearing all these stories and that Sabbath is an important part in people's lives as they were and are in mine since that fateful day as a teen when listening to the song Black Sabbath on a stormy and rainy day at my apartment on Adams St. in the city of Newark N.J., that day changed my life forever!

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    Thanks for sharing Sim-Lum, love hearing all these stories and that Sabbath is an important part in people's lives as they were and are in mine since that fateful day as a teen when listening to the song Black Sabbath on a stormy and rainy day at my apartment on Adams St. in the city of Newark N.J., that day changed my life forever!

Thanks for taking the time to read it . I listen to a lot of bands these days but Sabbath really are one of my favs and definitely the first true heavy metal band. I still can't believe I was so ignorant to this genre of music even when I was a young adult. I suppose one has to learn to keep an open mind.

I knew I would be a fan even before I got the first album, but when I got it I knew life would never be the same again. Just like your experience

Quote Originally Posted by sin - lum View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to read it . I listen to a lot of bands these days but Sabbath really are one of my favs and definitely the first true heavy metal band. I still can't believe I was so ignorant to this genre of music even when I was a young adult. I suppose one has to learn to keep an open mind.

I knew I would be a fan even before I got the first album, but when I got it I knew life would never be the same again. Just like your experience
    It’s been a whirlwind romance ever since, I literally love this band and music, though I love all the eras when I speak of life changing and whirlwind romance I mean specifically the Ozzy era, I became so enamoured so obsessed that’s all I could think of at the time was Sabbath, no other band has done that to me.

Yes same here about the whirlwind romance. I listened to each Sabbath album in chronological order at intervals of a few weeks/ months. Every time I sat and listened to the next album in the chronological, all things in life for me had to stop or (at least slow down for me).

The first 5 Ozzy albums were truly the greatest milestone moments - pretty much putting the albums on repeat after the first listen.

Sabotage was the first time when I didn't get the same kind of kick like the others but it grew on me. Likewise with all the following albums. Took me about 3 years to get to the end with all the solo albums as well

Quote Originally Posted by sin - lum View Post
    Yes same here about the whirlwind romance. I listened to each Sabbath album in chronological order at intervals of a few weeks/ months. Every time I sat and listened to the next album in the chronological, all things in life for me had to stop or (at least slow down for me).

The first 5 Ozzy albums were truly the greatest milestone moments - pretty much putting the albums on repeat after the first listen.

Sabotage was the first time when I didn't get the same kind of kick like the others but it grew on me. Likewise with all the following albums. Took me about 3 years to get to the end with all the solo albums as well
    Like you I listened to each album in order, and remember the excitement listening to each one of them, hearing a young Ozzy singing, I took to each one of the albums (Ozzy era) and just completely fell in love, I didn't care about anything else but Sabbath, those memories are still vivid in my mind like it was today, and they're wonderful and beautiful memories I'll have forever.